Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

I NEED to buy something (anything) really quickly from Rail Exclusives so that I can become "an existing customer"!

Kev.

(Who is nervous, salivating and beginning to twitch! :O )

Me too they have not produced anything in my timescale before. The 24 is fantastic though, will be watching ebay in a few weeks time I suppose!

• RMweb Gold

Can't see anything wrong with the small side grills, they look spot on. Looking at the large end grill, in the photo of the real D5054 I estimate there to be about 60-70 horizontal slats in it, whereas the model only has about this half this number, so I guess this might be described as 'coarse'. Given the overall fidelity of the model if that's the only issue then it may be worth briefly mentioning but not something to get exercised about in my view.

This is a stunning model, congrats to RE and I'm glad I'm an existing customer :)

Not my period but it looks like I will have couple of weeks to ponder....it is clear that announcing models with them readily or almost available is a popular move.

• Like 1

....yes, if I had to choose a weak spot on the model then I would go along with glazing.

That's the way. There's no need to be defensive about the model as it stands, but there is room for some detail improvement. I hope this is going to be a continuing toe-to-toe contest with Rapido for the premier 4mm RTR model crown.

If a class 55 is ever offered to this standard, I'll be beating the door down.

• Like 2

....try...

http://www.sulzertype2.com/

Dave

Thank you for that, I did try it and it would seem that it has Security Certificate issues. Never mind, I ignored the alert and I have to say I like the website.

On the subject of the grills, I'm getting the impression that they vary in appearance depending upon the quality of the light. The more contrasty the light, the more prominent they become. Not a subject for 'film noir'?

Notwithstanding the price tag I'll have a DC one please, green without the SYP in P4. Having said that I'm by no means exactly certain of the price tag other than it's equal to or more than £160.

Regards

Re: the grills, despite being an acute 3/4 view, this image shows a good  representation of the grills from one of the pilot scheme batch. (Apart from the split version before anyone pulls me up.)

10977435595_06218fe8c0_k.jpgBR/Sulzer Type 2 diesels Nos D5009/D5005 by John Evans, on Flickr

Hi res available on Flickr.

To my eyes and as others have said, the small grills look fine but there is something that looks strange about the boiler room and radiator grills. It may just be to do with digital reproduction on digital screens. Any one up for counting the number of rivets slats.

Although not perfect this image shows an the Darlo polished radiator grill of ex works D5103 quite well.

6815435770_484efc9a53_k.jpgLeeds, Neville Hill 55H. by Keith Long, on Flickr

I guess it shows how far things have progressed when we are debating the accuracy of grills and glazing.

P

• Like 4

Thank you for that, I did try it and it would seem that it has Security Certificate issues. Never mind, I ignored the alert and I have to say I like the website.

You will only receive an error/security warning if you attempt to access the site via https://www.sulzertype2.com. For some reason this was given out as the address of the new website but it is incorrect. You are effectively trying to enter the site through a door that does not exist - hence the warning!

You will only receive an error/security warning if you attempt to access the site via https://www.sulzertype2.com. For some reason this was given out as the address of the new website but it is incorrect. You are effectively trying to enter the site through a door that does not exist - hence the warning!

I really don't understand ! This address is the same as the one given above which gives the warning!

Anyway enough of this. I've sent an email inquiring about status price availability etc. I'll post when I know.

Taken from the website:

"Due to the recent launch of 'Sutton's Locomotive Works' and the Class 24 model, we are currently receiving a large number of enquires. Please understand we are only a two person operation.

If you are an existing RAIL EXCLUSIVE model customer looking to purchase one or more of the new models, we will send you an e-mail or letter with all the information needed in the next few days. If you haven't received this email by end of day December 11th, please contact us. This why it is also important to ensure addresses are current and up to date.

If you are not an existing RAIL EXCLUSIVE model customer and are looking to purchase the Class 24, then these will be released for general sale via details provided on this website in approximately 2-3 weeks time.

The website will be progressively expanded to provide more detailed information in the coming days and weeks including a public on-sale date and pricing information, so please do return.

We thank you for your patience.

Best regards

Philip & Jamie"

Edited by 37081LochLong
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I really don't understand ! This address is the same as the one given above which gives the warning!

Anyway enough of this. I've sent an email inquiring about status price availability etc. I'll post when I know.

Two addresses have been given

The one starting 'https' gives the warning

The one that starts 'http' is okay (or as above just type in www.etc)

I like the Oleo buffers, they're really good! I wonder if they'd do them seperately? 

Hijack alert.

Justin, 

I don't know if you've seen Mr Franks LMS Oleo Diesel buffers. They really are quite good. Part No's LB012 and LB013. The website pics don't do the castings justice. Yes you can read the Oleo branding.

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_109.htm

They can be sprung using thick shank buffers available from wizard or sleeve up a standard buffer shank with polished aluminium tube.

Some Class 25 Oleos yesterday.

post-508-0-18055300-1448900104.jpg

Unusual Discalimer: I know Mr Franks of LMS models quite well & think the sun shines out of his orifice.

P

Hijack over.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Can't see anything wrong with the small side grills, they look spot on. Looking at the large end grill, in the photo of the real D5054 I estimate there to be about 60-70 horizontal slats in it, whereas the model only has about this half this number, so I guess this might be described as 'coarse'. Given the overall fidelity of the model if that's the only issue then it may be worth briefly mentioning but not something to get exercised about in my view.

Re: the grills, despite being an acute 3/4 view, this image shows a good  representation of the grills from one of the pilot scheme batch. (Apart from the split version before anyone pulls me up.)

Any one up for counting the number of rivets slats.

I did earlier!

Class 25 grills were different to Class 24. Unless your converter used some of these.

[awaiting arrival of snapograph]

P

(Trying to work out if this is a wind up)

If not check out these grills. See the difference?

6815438920_6d2401955e_c.jpgDarlington North Road Works. by Keith Long, on Flickr

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ok you lot, stop mixing model and prototype photos in the same thread.

I have enough trouble holding onto reality as it is!

Kev.

(Actually – keep on posting phots.  :blind:  :dontknow:   :blum:  )

• Like 1

Evening all,

Please excuse me for my ignorance, especially having worked on both of these locos in the past, but can the NYMR's D5032 or D5061 be modelled from this first release D5000?

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
  • Like 1

Evening all,

Please excuse me for my ignorance, especially having worked on both of these locos in the past, but can the NYMR's D5032 or D5061 be modelled from this first release D5000?

Cheers,

If I remember correctly the sound chip is a recording of D5061

• RMweb Gold

No - D5000 (and others in the first 20 built) has 5 top grilles on one side and 4 on the other - known as a 5/4 bodystyle. D5032 and D5061 both have 4/3 bodystyles. Also a number were modified slightly when working on the SR in the early days, which the NYMR pair didn't.