Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

If I remember correctly the sound chip is a recording of D5061

Well that's a bonus for a start then, I just hope she was recorded in times other than her last few months of service when she was really struggling. D5061 really has been carrying the railway on it's shoulders along with Sybilla. I don't know the differences between the 24 and 24/1 at all, so don't know which variants either of the NYMR's pair are, and can't seem to find any info on it either

Cheers,

• Like 1

Well that's a bonus for a start then, I just hope she was recorded in times other than her last few months of service when she was really struggling. D5061 really has been carrying the railway on it's shoulders along with Sybilla. I don't know the differences between the 24 and 24/1 at all, so don't know which variants either of the NYMR's pair are, and can't seem to find any info on it either

Cheers,

Has D5061 gone in for a much deserved overhaul now?

Guest G567281

Cheers,

The NYMR ones are TOPS Class 24/0's. In early days this would include up to D5113. 24/1 is D5114 to D5100. The most obvious difference is the Class 24/1 has the four character head ode box on the cab roof.

The NYMR ones also have the later exhaust ports etc.

Speaking of the NYMR's type 2's. Does anyone remember the 'Kit Kat' livery (either vinyl or post production editing I'd have thought).

I assume it was one of the current NYMR 24's, which has already been stated above that it's slightly different. It would be a shame anyway to remove that fine finish for a re-paint.

EDIT: Just found it was D5061

Edited by Derekstuart

Speaking of the NYMR's type 2's. Does anyone remember the 'Kit Kat' livery (either vinyl or post production editing I'd have thought).

I assume it was one of the current NYMR 24's, which has already been stated above that it's slightly different. It would be a shame anyway to remove that fine finish for a re-paint.

EDIT: Just found it was D5061

It was post production editing, the real loco never actually carried the livery, there were also only 3 vans, the rest were edited in.

• RMweb Gold

I can see only two problems about this excellent model 1st one is I now need to save up £160. The second is this is really going to throw a spanner in the works of the argument for the justification of the big two RTR pricing, think I'll stay away from all pricing topics for a while.

I thought I was looking at a 7mm model with some of the pictures simply super. I hope this sells well and at some point in future a class 20 is done

Edited by farren

That does sound well! brings back some happy memories! Looks like I'll have to go for a sound version now, I was trying to convince myself to get a non-sound one but thats gone out of the window!

Sorry.

Good news is that sound, fully installed, ready to run with two speakers in purpose designed enclosures, plus all the lighting variations accessible with DCC control costs less than offerings from other suppliers which you have to fit yourself or pay someone to fit for you. 

Bargain. Buy two. Lol.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 3

TBH I actually cannot see a NEM pocket. Good question...

The model comes with front and back detailing fitted. In the detail packs is an NEM pocket which clips up in front of the bogie each end and a Bachmann style slim coupling. The detailing obviously needs to be removed to install the NEM socket. I have done this today (very carefully) one end and installed the NEM socket and a buckeye coupler.

Everyone is talking about the price at £160. As far as I was aware, having attended the event, this was an offer price for those attending the event. Can anyone confirm if the RRP is £160 or was Philip pulling our leg to make us buy them at the show? I have a feeling the retail price maybe higher.

Rick, I shall attempt a video for you tomorrow. The lights are fantastic. They do not simply go on and off, but charge up/fade just like a real tungsten lamp. One minor problem I encountered, but hopefully to be solved thanks to Paul Chetter is that the tail lamps are on function 21. Most basic to medium range controllers have no more than 20 functions. By Bachmann Dynamis for example, but Paul has given me a work around for this. If you have a full 28 function controller, all the lights operate independantly.

Edited by Dan_71D

Any chance of a video showing the lights?  It really is a very impressive model and I hope it does well for them.  I also hope they do a 24/1 and with Highland headlights!

Rick

It's a Highland 24/1 i'm hoping they'll do too :) (and who knows in a few years time a 26 with the highland lights! but that's me wishlisting and don't want to do that to this thread haha)

In the mean time i'm looking forward to the opportunity to get one of these

• Like 1

One minor problem I encountered, but hopefully to be solved thanks to Paul Chetter is that the tail lamps are on function 21. Most basic to medium range controllers have no more than 20 functions. By Bachmann Dynamis for example, but Paul has given me a work around for this. If you have a full 28 function controller, all the lights operate independantly.

Thanks for that info, I too have the Dynamis but was planning on changing next year

Thanks for that info, I too have the Dynamis but was planning on changing next year

An email from Paul Chetter says that you can alter CVs so that the tail lights come on with the headlights, like most DCC locos. Email as follows:

As a work-around if you need them on, try this: CV436 = 29. This should put front markers and tail lamps on together (at opposite ends and directionally controlled).

To switch them all on or off use F key 0.

To revert to front markers only, set CV436 = 21.

This is obviously not as convenient as operating F21 but since your Dynamis isn’t capable, at least you still have the ability to decide if reds are appropriate or not.

• Like 1

FUNCTIONS NOT AVAILABLE on controllers with only 20 functions such as the Dynamis are

21 Tail Lights (see above post for work around).

22 Cab Lights

23 - 26 Notch Up sound (1/4 1/2 3/4 full)

27 Volume Up

28 Volume Down

No - D5000 (and others in the first 20 built) has 5 top grilles on one side and 4 on the other - known as a 5/4 bodystyle. D5032 and D5061 both have 4/3 bodystyles. Also a number were modified slightly when working on the SR in the early days, which the NYMR pair didn't.

Cheers for the info, looks like my wallet is safe for now, although I am tempted by the BR blue one, it being a survivor and all!

Cheers,

Has D5061 gone in for a much deserved overhaul now?

Stored whilst the other one is being finished. I haven't had a poke around the other one for well over a year, so have no idea what stage it's at I'm afraid

Cheers,