Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

Here’s couple of pictures of the 25/1 and the 25/0 I did for Underhill Road, I have written a article on the 25/0, at the same time if every model is perfect we would moaning we’d have nothing to do.

Cheers

Roomey

post-322-0-94641800-1529008599_thumb.jpeg

post-322-0-23010800-1529008646_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Guest

Here’s couple of pictures of the 25/1 and the 25/0 I did for Underhill Road, I have written a article on the 25/0, at the same time if every model is perfect we would moaning we’d have nothing to do.

Cheers

Roomey

Very very impressive! Now any chance you can make me one?

A 25/0 not a problem a 25/1 is very time consuming for me at the moment

Cheers

Roomey

Edited by Guest

Cheers

Roomey

Now that 25/0 is very nice!!!

Just received myself and putting my pre-order in now before I miss out again, delayed putting in my pre-order for 5040 too long. Would have like two different running numbered two tone models, guess just the one will have to do!

Edited by Sails

They are a superb quality loco, it would be nice to hear a little bit more about what they are thinking for the future, but I do understand their philosophy and when the finished product is this good, the wait is worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

It’ll be interesting to see how this compares with the Bachmann equivalent (and any possible SLW plans for extending into the 25s as mooted on here)...

—-

**NEW 'OO' GAUGE PROJECT**

Heljan UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE CLASS 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

All-new Derby/Sulzer Type 2 in ‘OO’ to follow the ‘O’ gauge version. Ten versions in development – PLUS first-ever ready-to-haul (RTH) ‘OO’ models of ETHEL train heating units!

Development work is well advanced on Heljan’s latest ‘OO’ gauge BR diesel locomotive project – the popular Derby/Sulzer Type 2 in its final Class 25/3 guise. The model will benefit from the research and development that has gone into our forthcoming ‘O’ gauge ‘25/3’ (due for release later this year) and is expected to make rapid progress towards a first release in 2019.

No fewer than TEN versions have been selected, covering a broad cross-section of BR green, BR blue and special liveries and offering a choice of London Midland, Scottish and Western Region prototypes from the mid-1960s to the late-1980s.

The model represents the final development of the 478 Derby/Sulzer Type 2s, which started with Class 24 in the late-1950s. Our model will cover the D5238-99 and D7500-D7677 batches, built by Derby Works and Beyer, Peacock of Manchester between December 1963 and April 1967.

For the first time, models will also be offered as the famous Scottish Region ‘ETHEL’ (Electric Train Heating Ex-Locomotive) train heating units converted from Class 25/3s as a short-term solution prior to the delivery of Class 37/4s in 1985. These machines later found work with InterCity’s Charter Unit, lasting into the 1990s.

The new Heljan Class 25/3 will feature our renowned high-performance chassis with all-wheel drive and all-wheel pick-up, illuminated headcode panels and marker lights, a 21-pin DCC decoder interface and provision for DCC sound.

All the information here is subject to change, but more details about the specification and pricing will be announced as the project develops. Look out for updates on the Heljan Facebook page and in the model railway press.

Heljan CLASS 25/3 MODELS

2530 – BR two-tone green D7645 with small yellow panels

2531 – BR two-tone green D5244 with small yellow panels - WEATHERED

2532 – BR two-tone green D7550 with full yellow ends and BR blue data panel

2533 – BR early blue D7661 with small yellow panels

2534 – BR rail blue D7667 with full yellow ends (twin double arrows – 1,000th loco built at Derby Works)

2535 – BR rail blue 25252 (LMR) with full yellow ends (single, central double arrows) and headcode panel still in place

2536 – BR rail blue 25155 (WR) with full yellow ends (single, central double arrows) and headcode panel still in place- WEATHERED

2537 – BR Rail Blue 25093 (ScR/LMR) with bodyside numbers (single, centrally placed double arrows) and ‘domino’ headcodes

2538 – BR 25912 Tamworth Castle ‘Ice Cream Van’ livery with silver roof

2539 – BR Special two-tone green D7672 Tamworth Castle

2540 – BR blue/grey ETHEL1 ADB97250

2541 – InterCity ETHEL3 ADB97252

From having a clear run at a class 25 it’s going to get very crowded shortly..... I just hope, if they have been doing a 25 that it’s close to being released..... I wonder if they had announced that the class 25 was being developed/close to release if Helijan would have went for a different model...

I'm sure the Heljan model will be respectable if they get all the fundamentals correct such as shape and dimensions (not always Heljan's strong point!)  Even so, I doubt the Heljan model will be anywhere near as 'high-spec' as SLW's 24, so in way I would rather have seen a Class 25 produced by SLW, but I guess we shall see what transpires...

Edited by YesTor

From having a clear run at a class 25 it’s going to get very crowded shortly..... I just hope, if they have been doing a 25 that it’s close to being released..... I wonder if they had announced that the class 25 was being developed/close to release if Helijan would have went for a different model...

With one SLW already owned and another on the way and knowing the quality of their work, I would have liked to have seen a 25 from SLW, will we see an announcement shortly? Beating Heljan onto the marketplace?

• RMweb Premium

I would be very surprised (but very pleased ) to see any 25 from SLW now. With the possible exception of a 25/0 - being almost identical to a headcode box 24/1

Why? The forth coming (if ever) Bachy and Heljan type 2s could be right lemons. Let us see what the future brings.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice!

Hope there was a brake van on the back of that air braked van + vacuum braked loco!

I was hoping nobody would notice! The brake van is on the rear of the barrier van left on the 'main' line. It is also required because of the 6 mile propelling move.

• 4 weeks later...

Well with two at 89% and 92% and with all previous versions produced sold out, I’d

Say they could safely go ahead and not have to

Worry about not being able to Sell these beauties.

They could probably redo all the sold out versions, re number them and they would still sell out