Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

The email states that "we have been allowed to further increase production quantities so...D5040 has re-opened for pre orders and we now have greater unallocated stocks of" Experiment. Also mentions the new releases having finer and stronger etched radiator and boiler grilles, better glazing, lowered crew seating and "other improvements 'under the bonnet'". Also says they are committed to the production of the 24/1s.

• Like 2

Update posted here with permission.

LATE SUMMER UPDATE:
DECORATED BODIES APPROVED
FOR PRODUCTION

We hope you had a great summer enjoying the record-breaking temperature and suspect that railway modelling was well down your list of priorities. As well as fitting in the occasional break, we have been busy behind the scenes, hence this update.

Class 24 range expanded and improvements made

Putting some substance on the ‘busy’ mentioned above, it should not be under-estimated how much work has already been undertaken for the four new up-and-coming Class 24 liveries. To the uninitiated these may look identical under their paint but the truth is far from that. EXPERIMENT and the two-tone green machines use a new prototypically-accurate ‘intermediate’ bodyshell (dating from the mid-1960s) that combines an updated roof layout with later exhaust arrangement but with the cab front end doors retained. The BR blue Scottish-allocated locos, with Glasgow Works-style front ends, have had a riveted panel added and the central headcode discs and lamp housings repositioned.

We have previously mentioned the new, better-looking glazing and these releases will also have improved, finer and stronger etched radiator and boiler grilles. There are a myriad of other small changes, such as lowered crew seating and other improvements ‘under the bonnet’. This is all being made under our policy of continuous improvement. We want to make our models as accurate and reliable as possible.

Paint details approved and quantities increased

The new decorated bodyshells have been received, checked and approved or alterations notified. There were (as always) one or two small areas of concern, including a problematic colour specification which slightly extended the time needed for this process. Although we are all eagerly awaiting the final production, our mantra has always been that accuracy comes before speed.

There are a couple more processes to confirm before we can give anything more than vague delivery dates but we are presently looking at November for EXPERIMENT with the others following soon after. Bear in mind that there are also logistics and administration to include in the mix. The plan has slipped a few months behind what we had hoped but we are sure the result will be worthwhile. One of the positive consequences of this is that we have been allowed to further increase production quantities, so Cat No. 2407 (D5040) has re-opened for pre-orders and we now have greater unallocated stocks of Cat No. 2406 (97201).

Renewed interest in Scottish headcode box locos

With four new versions going ahead, voting for further variants and liveries has predictably slowed. We are still committed to getting more of these made. There has been a recent spike in interest for the ‘Highland Baby Sulzers’ (Scottish Class 24/1s with headcode boxes, headlights and tablet catchers) which has taken them through the 90% mark. We are keen to get these over the ‘commercially-viable’ line as soon as possible to give us a project to focus on next year and, as such, we are working on a couple of ideas to boost publicity.

The way we currently understand it - from casual discussion - is that part of the problem lies with the fact that some modellers restrict their purchases to numbering styles rather than specific periods (and there is nothing wrong with that). It appears that for many potential purchasers BR blue simply equates to TOPS five-digit numbering. The lack of a TOPS-numbered option to vote for is clearly an impediment to achieving our aim. The only way of overcoming this would be to commission further tooling (at additional expense) for the flush-fronted ends, to allow a TOPS version to be produced. We could just print a TOPS number on a blue loco with door strips and hope no-one notices but, without unequivocal proof, I could not sleep at night! All research to date indicates that TOPS renumbering took place after (or in a few cases simultaneously with) the smooth re-plating of the cab front door area. The timespan is perilously short – from re-numbering (March 1974 onwards) to transfer south to Haymarket and removal of headlights (Autumn 1975) was less than 18 months!

I am prepared to commit to the extra costs required for the 18-month life TOPS loco incentive (because I’d love to own such a model myself and can see the bigger potential for Highland layouts) but would firstly like to see some genuine feedback on the proposition. If you feel there really is strong demand please gang-up and petition me by e-mail with your thoughts to: slw@railexclusive.com  If it is all positive, and can be made to stack up, we will add this option to the formal voting options and encourage further commitments. The target level for the type would remain the same overall but all three options would be triggered.
No news is good news

One or two of our close customers have been in touch lately saying there has been some ‘chatter’ on the internet asking: Why has SLW been so quiet? Well, apart from being a small operation where time for essential duties is at a premium (there is just two of us) we feel information is only worth disseminating when there is something significant to say. Unlike most other manufacturers, we don’t tend to give running commentaries. What is the point of dropping hints and creating speculation? We just don’t work that way. After all, you can only take home a model when it’s finished, in the country and ready to purchase. We’re here for the long run and as loyal customers you will always be the first to hear of any developments.

I'd like one of these four new models

You are receiving this communication from us because you have pre-ordered one or more of our models. However, if you originally missed out on D5040 or want to add additional locos to your reserved allocation do not hesitate to give us a call. All four new liveries are still available. Please feel free to forward this information to any fellow modellers that might be interested. We are encountering newcomers to SLW every day.

Click to visit the RAIL EXCLUSIVE webshop here where you can confirm your requirement, or simply telephone us on 01780 470086 where we will be happy to discuss your exact specification. No monies will be taken until the models are ready for dispatch (delivery timescale still TBC). If you have any queries you can e-mail us at: slw@railexclusive.com

• Like 1

Just seen this on face book

On Sutton locomotive works

SULZER SIGN-UP: RENEWED INTEREST IN INVERNESS HEADCODE BOX LOCOS - LET'S GO FOR A FINAL PUSH!

With four new Class 24 versions in production, voting for further liveries has predictably slowed. We are still committed to getting more of these made in due course. There has, however, been a recent spike in interest for the ‘Highland Baby Sulzers’ (Scottish Class 24/1s with headcode boxes, headlights, snowploughs and tablet catchers) which has taken them to within a finger-tip of getting the go-ahead. We are keen to get these over the ‘commercially-viable’ line as soon as possible to provide us with a project to focus on next year and, as such, we are working on a couple of ideas to boost publicity.

The way we currently understand it - from casual discussion - is that part of the problem lies with the fact that some modellers restrict their purchases to numbering styles rather than specific periods (and there's nothing wrong with that). It appears that for many potential purchasers BR blue simply equates to TOPS five-digit numbering. The lack of a TOPS-numbered option to vote for is clearly an impediment to achieving our aim.

The only way of overcoming this would be to commission further tooling (at additional expense) for the flush-fronted ends, to allow a TOPS version to be produced. We could just print a 241xx number on a blue loco with draught-proofing strips and hope no-one notices but, without unequivocal proof, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night! Come on all you 1970s ScR diesel aficionados - can you prove me wrong?

All research to date indicates that computerised renumbering took place after (or in a couple of cases simultaneously with) the smooth re-plating of the cab front door area. This means new cab fronts are essential. The timespan is perilously short – from re-numbering (March 1974 onwards) to transfer south to Haymarket and removal of headlights (Autumn 1975) was often less than 18 months!

If I can be convinced, I am prepared to take a personal punt on the extra cost required for the incentive of an 18-month life TOPS loco (because I’d love to own such a model myself and can see the bigger potential for Highland layouts). I need to see some genuine feedback on the proposition. If you feel there really is strong demand, without diluting the pre-TOPS blue, please gang-up and petition me by e-mail with your thoughts to: slw@railexclusive.com

If it is all positive, and can be made to stack up, we will add this option to the formal voting options in the next few weeks and launch a campaign to encourage further votes/commitments. The target for the type will stay UNCHANGED but all three options (Green SYP, Pre-TOPS Blue and TOPS Blue) would be produced if we achieve it.

Do you think this proposal can get us over the line (or to a 4mm scale 1974 Wick/Thurso/Kyle behind a 'Highland Baby Sulzer')?

I deffo be ordering a couple

Cheers

Roomey

A push for a 24/1 by SLW has just been posted on Facebook.Its different to #1986..

I,m not going to copy & paste the post or quote from it.I'd rather those who know SLW better than i seek permission. 

Post #1986 is an email sent out Friday 14th September and was reproduced here with Philip Sutton's permission. If you have pre-ordered one of the models you would have received the email.

Post #1986 is an email sent out Friday 14th September and was reproduced here with Philip Sutton's permission. If you have pre-ordered one of the models you would have received the email.

If only I could remember which one or ones I had ordered, I think I will give them a ring on Monday to try and clarify.

Oh email sent requesting a Scottish 24/1.

• RMweb Premium

I will say this for SLW, I like their position that the only news that really matters with respect to models is news that it is available to actually buy (and I don't mean to pre-order). Opting out of trying to be our mate on Internet message boards and letting their product speak for itself is an approach I respect.

Update posted here with permission.

LATE SUMMER UPDATE:

DECORATED BODIES APPROVED

FOR PRODUCTION

We hope you had a great summer enjoying the record-breaking temperature and suspect that railway modelling was well down your list of priorities. As well as fitting in the occasional break, we have been busy behind the scenes, hence this update.

Class 24 range expanded and improvements made

Putting some substance on the ‘busy’ mentioned above, it should not be under-estimated how much work has already been undertaken for the four new up-and-coming Class 24 liveries. To the uninitiated these may look identical under their paint but the truth is far from that. EXPERIMENT and the two-tone green machines use a new prototypically-accurate ‘intermediate’ bodyshell (dating from the mid-1960s) that combines an updated roof layout with later exhaust arrangement but with the cab front end doors retained. The BR blue Scottish-allocated locos, with Glasgow Works-style front ends, have had a riveted panel added and the central headcode discs and lamp housings repositioned.

We have previously mentioned the new, better-looking glazing and these releases will also have improved, finer and stronger etched radiator and boiler grilles. There are a myriad of other small changes, such as lowered crew seating and other improvements ‘under the bonnet’. This is all being made under our policy of continuous improvement. We want to make our models as accurate and reliable as possible.

Paint details approved and quantities increased

The new decorated bodyshells have been received, checked and approved or alterations notified. There were (as always) one or two small areas of concern, including a problematic colour specification which slightly extended the time needed for this process. Although we are all eagerly awaiting the final production, our mantra has always been that accuracy comes before speed.

There are a couple more processes to confirm before we can give anything more than vague delivery dates but we are presently looking at November for EXPERIMENT with the others following soon after. Bear in mind that there are also logistics and administration to include in the mix. The plan has slipped a few months behind what we had hoped but we are sure the result will be worthwhile. One of the positive consequences of this is that we have been allowed to further increase production quantities, so Cat No. 2407 (D5040) has re-opened for pre-orders and we now have greater unallocated stocks of Cat No. 2406 (97201).

Renewed interest in Scottish headcode box locos

With four new versions going ahead, voting for further variants and liveries has predictably slowed. We are still committed to getting more of these made. There has been a recent spike in interest for the ‘Highland Baby Sulzers’ (Scottish Class 24/1s with headcode boxes, headlights and tablet catchers) which has taken them through the 90% mark. We are keen to get these over the ‘commercially-viable’ line as soon as possible to give us a project to focus on next year and, as such, we are working on a couple of ideas to boost publicity.

The way we currently understand it - from casual discussion - is that part of the problem lies with the fact that some modellers restrict their purchases to numbering styles rather than specific periods (and there is nothing wrong with that). It appears that for many potential purchasers BR blue simply equates to TOPS five-digit numbering. The lack of a TOPS-numbered option to vote for is clearly an impediment to achieving our aim. The only way of overcoming this would be to commission further tooling (at additional expense) for the flush-fronted ends, to allow a TOPS version to be produced. We could just print a TOPS number on a blue loco with door strips and hope no-one notices but, without unequivocal proof, I could not sleep at night! All research to date indicates that TOPS renumbering took place after (or in a few cases simultaneously with) the smooth re-plating of the cab front door area. The timespan is perilously short – from re-numbering (March 1974 onwards) to transfer south to Haymarket and removal of headlights (Autumn 1975) was less than 18 months!

I am prepared to commit to the extra costs required for the 18-month life TOPS loco incentive (because I’d love to own such a model myself and can see the bigger potential for Highland layouts) but would firstly like to see some genuine feedback on the proposition. If you feel there really is strong demand please gang-up and petition me by e-mail with your thoughts to: slw@railexclusive.com  If it is all positive, and can be made to stack up, we will add this option to the formal voting options and encourage further commitments. The target level for the type would remain the same overall but all three options would be triggered.

No news is good news

One or two of our close customers have been in touch lately saying there has been some ‘chatter’ on the internet asking: Why has SLW been so quiet? Well, apart from being a small operation where time for essential duties is at a premium (there is just two of us) we feel information is only worth disseminating when there is something significant to say. Unlike most other manufacturers, we don’t tend to give running commentaries. What is the point of dropping hints and creating speculation? We just don’t work that way. After all, you can only take home a model when it’s finished, in the country and ready to purchase. We’re here for the long run and as loyal customers you will always be the first to hear of any developments.

I'd like one of these four new models

You are receiving this communication from us because you have pre-ordered one or more of our models. However, if you originally missed out on D5040 or want to add additional locos to your reserved allocation do not hesitate to give us a call. All four new liveries are still available. Please feel free to forward this information to any fellow modellers that might be interested. We are encountering newcomers to SLW every day.

Click to visit the RAIL EXCLUSIVE webshop here where you can confirm your requirement, or simply telephone us on 01780 470086 where we will be happy to discuss your exact specification. No monies will be taken until the models are ready for dispatch (delivery timescale still TBC). If you have any queries you can e-mail us at: slw@railexclusive.com

It's certainly interesting that the tops numbered flushed front 24/1 is being considered.  I would suspect that a number of voters for the existing H option would prefer one of these tops models.  This announcement may well delay getting the H version up to 100%.  Assuming there is enough interest for the tops numbered 24/1, would production depend on another 100% vote ? if so that's going to take some time.   AFAIK the current voting for H is at 92% and with 24/1's now also coming from other manufacturers, under these circumstances, would it not be prudent to go ahead now with to get it on the market, the 8% being likely offset with possible sales losses if production is delayed.

..... and with 24/1's now also coming from other manufacturers, under these circumstances, would it not be prudent to go ahead now with to get it on the market, the 8% being likely offset with possible sales losses if production is delayed.

Bachmann variant is LMR, if SLW do theirs it will be ScR variant. Room in the market for both? I’d be happy to wait for the ScR version rather than taking the quick fix approach of buying Bachmann even though it isn’t quite correct for my Scottish layout.

Bachmann variant is LMR, if SLW do theirs it will be ScR variant. Room in the market for both? I’d be happy to wait for the ScR version rather than taking the quick fix approach of buying Bachmann even though it isn’t quite correct for my Scottish layout.

My thoughts also, but what about all the other potential purchasers ? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That always seems an attractive proposition for us modellers... Heljan did follow that pathway with 47s but iirc they were the ones left on the shelf.

But probably need to be undecorated not just un-numbered to allow correct positioning of OHLE flashes, data panels, shed codes and headcount....

• RMweb Premium

How about some un numbered ones being sold

As Phil says, they do not sell. I don't know why because applying a transfer is not the hardest bit of modelling.

Talking of modelling will I get this finished before t'other Phil or Bachmann try to sell me one of their's.

post-16423-0-31258300-1537618524_thumb.jpg

Surely it's not that difficult to renumber the pre tops loco gentlemen? Ducks and runs for cover....

Yes renumbering pre-tops models would be easy enough, but they would not be accurate, the highland 24/'s had the front connecting doors flushed/strips removed before they were tops numbered - hence SLW are considering adding this version to the production list, provided there is enough demand.

24 132 with flushed front doors

https://www.flickr.com/photos/masonphenix19/27820209662/in/photolist-JonR6h-3STd2-Sx2sLG-266cBVw-dFkTpF-24jvb1E-9qSfb4-eDTDCy-fSAoCG-249Xbq4-AEp7RJ-23LjeSv-NAXePp-MdUDQp-nSJCkx-fWWPZM-9PhDQK-e536bP-fWWtih-hkDPw-fWWPXx-bwKTs5-6mHVRD-c59F93-ER5E9o-5S7vNu-8XeoCx-dnahwX-bAdsqj-dUiqod-GyScMB-9PkrBL-aU2puM-rUY8TC-21Z7vRR-kXiqd-26MAeDm-212TqeU-92d1k7-21faTkS-4upHq6-rhTvE-oD7Dr6-9Pku6f-c2XCUq-e8yN71-8mXVyy-buAN9a-UgFdg2-9PhDx6

• RMweb Premium

All class 24s and class 25/0 front gangway doors were flush with no external hinges etc, only 25/1 and mid production body 25/2s had them. I will file back the doors on my model.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98636950@N04/9623329284/in/photolist-KSS8Jk-9tHrw8-fEo5wq-bkPR7V-7MSjuG-f4Grb6-7MSj8S-7MSjqY-7MSjhw-xanem6

The ScR welded their's shut sightly earlier than Derby did.

Even though it's TOPS numbered Scottish heacode box 24's that I want, even if they were added to the voting list tomorrow I wouldn't cancel my votes for the two pre-TOPS ones, I would want them in both styles, sealed and not sealed.

I emailed them to let them know I'd definitely be up for at least two TOPS versions

I hope they move forward with the pre-TOPS ones soon though

• Like 2

Noticed something new on the slw facebook page, under "our story" says they are "model railway manufacturer specialising in highly-detailed museum quality locomotives and rolling stock from the BR era."

....."and rolling stock".... maybe the next model won't be a loco at all, wagons? coaches?

A whole new chapter of wishlisting comes this way!

Noticed something new on the slw facebook page, under "our story" says they are "model railway manufacturer specialising in highly-detailed museum quality locomotives and rolling stock from the BR era."

....."and rolling stock".... maybe the next model won't be a loco at all, wagons? coaches?

A whole new chapter of wishlisting comes this way!

Aye let the "frothing" begin......  

High fidelity Mark 1s?

Now there is a choice of which version/.type, livery or regional number, some people would be waiting forever for there wished variety (more like Heinz 57 comes to mind ) 

Edited by johnd