Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

• RMweb Gold

That's Christmas 2019 sorted  :sungum:

One sound equipped TOPS Highland Class 24 ordered.  This will be my first SLW model, so looking forward to much drooling at some point next year!

• Like 3

Ordered two this afternoon, one blue pre tops and one blue tops numbered. My first SLW order, really nice people to deal with. Phil did let me know the numbers that they are planning for them but it might change as they do more research.

Ordered two this afternoon, one blue pre tops and one blue tops numbered. My first SLW order, really nice people to deal with. Phil did let me know the numbers that they are planning for them but it might change as they do more research.

In triplicate ! Ex civil servant by any chance? :jester:

• RMweb Gold

I just wish they would do the early Inverness version - no headlights.

Alan

Actually the headlights were the clincher for me, so I'm really glad they went for this option  :sungum:

BTW, you've spelt Bennachie incorrectly   :jester:

BTW, you've spelt Bennachie incorrectly   :jester:

Both spellings can be used depending on what you are referring to, such as hills or whisky.

Regards

Roddy

Spelling error corrected. RA

Edited by Roddy Angus

• RMweb Gold

Both spellings can be used depending on what you are referring to, such as hills or whisky.

Regards

Roddy

Spelling error corrected. RA

I can only find one spelling, the same for the geographic feature and the drink.  Where is the alternate spelling used?

Edit - Ah, found it I think!  https://flaviar.com/benachie/distillery

Although not sure how good this source is, as they can't spell Insch correctly  :no:

Steve

Edited by 55020

Additionally to my previous post (apologies for it in triplicate, faulty device and poor internet connection), here is the loco numbers currently being quoted on the SLW site.

AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW (APPROVED FOR PRODUCTION IN 2019)

Cat No. 2451: Running number D5132
Inverness-based locomotive with headcode boxes and working headlights.
The common mid-1960s livery of standard BR green with small yellow warning panels.

Cat No. 2452: Running number D5131
Early pre-TOPS numbers in 1968 onwards BR blue livery.

Cat No. 2461: Running number 24117
Post 1974 TOPS numbers and plated front ends.

As Phil said to me, these running numbers might not be the final ones chosen for them as research is on going. Although they're not my first choice of running numbers I'm quite happy with them. If anyone comes up with a reason to change Cat No.2452 running number, it better be a very good reason or else you may suffer the wrath of 'CHARD!

Really looking forward to these being produced. I can honestly say that us Scottish Railway Modellers have never had it so good.

Brian.

Additionally to my previous post (apologies for it in triplicate, faulty device and poor internet connection), here is the loco numbers currently being quoted on the SLW site.

AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW (APPROVED FOR PRODUCTION IN 2019)

The common mid-1960s livery of standard BR green with small yellow warning panels.

As Phil said to me, these running numbers might not be the final ones chosen for them as research is on going. Although they're not my first choice of running numbers I'm quite happy with them. If anyone comes up with a reason to change Cat No.2452 running number, it better be a very good reason or else you may suffer the wrath of 'CHARD!

Really looking forward to these being produced. I can honestly say that us Scottish Railway Modellers have never had it so good.

Brian.

My only concern with D5131 is that it was withdrawn in mid-1971.

LOL - no wrath from this corner at present - D5131 is The Legend indeed, working as it did the unofficial (and therefore proper) farewell to the Waverley route service trains 2M52 and 2S52 on Saturday 4th January 1969, in BFYE with cab-door double arrows and serif D-numbers, having been a summer '68 repaint from GSYP.

My only concern with D5131 is that it was withdrawn in mid-1971.

Indeed, only suitable for 3 years' service, however, note the Wrath of 'Chard disclaimer above  :angel:

In Gerge C O'hara's 'BR diesel traction in Scotland', the images of 24/1's in green did not have headlights fitted up to mid 65 at least. One of D5130 taken in '68 still did didnt.

Which was it, though?  (D5130 never worked the Waverley route, so I'm out!!!)

• 2 weeks later...

I can only find one spelling, the same for the geographic feature and the drink.  Where is the alternate spelling used?

Edit - Ah, found it I think!  https://flaviar.com/benachie/distillery

Although not sure how good this source is, as they can't spell Insch correctly  :no:

Steve

We’re having fun with pedantry, so, is that alternative or alternating?  :jester:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Following posted to their Facebook page today:

HIGHLAND CLASS 24/1 TOPS IMAGES WANTED:

We hope you had a peaceful holiday break and expect, like us, you have been back at the coal face for a few weeks now! The Highland Class 24 project is advancing well but we could do with some help.

We particularly welcome more imagery of BR blue locomotives with TOPS NUMBERING AND HEADLIGHTS INTACT to help with our investigations. This is a surprisingly short 18-month period of time from Spring 1974 (computerised renumbering) to the Autumn of 1975 (transfer south to Haymarket followed by headlight removal). 24124 & 24126 in this timescale seem very shy.

Thanks to those who have already sent pictures and pointed us to books and websites. We think we have seen all the published material that is easily accessible but there might be some good stuff lurking in the depths of cyberspace...

There are plenty of pictures of TOPS locos around, but the majority seem to been taken in the twilight months working off Edinburgh with the former headlight apertures plated over. These are not as important to us. The dearth of pictures seems to be a consequence of a period before increased awareness that things were changing quickly. Remember, photography was still an expensive hobby 45 years ago... God that make me feel old!

If you have got anything relevant, however poor, send a copy by mail or e-mail to: slw@railexclusive.com

Please feel free to share this request to any interest groups or ex-BR staff forums. Thank you.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

PILOT SCHEME MODEL DETAILED & PRODUCT UPDATE  on face book page 

SLW friend and customer Greg Brookes recently got in touch to let us know that he had recently completed another of his detailing projects. This time he has represented D5007 - one of the Pilot Scheme series with extra grilles - as it was running in the early 1970s with full yellow ends. Note also that he has applied our etched SR-style headcode brackets. The model is pictured here paired with D5087 whilst taking a break between duties on Kier Hardy's 'EM' Hornsey Road TMD.

With the Chinese New Year holiday shutdown now out of the way, final assembly and packing of the latest batch of models continues and we estimate completion and shipping to take about two months. Unfortunately the minor improvements we wanted to implement with this batch meant that we got caught up in the extended holiday break. We hope you understand. It would have easier to have just pressed the 'straight re-run' button but that's not the way we work, preferring to refine parts and add new bodyshell variety. We are sure these changes will be worth the wait. 

If you want to know a little more about CNY and how it affects manufacturing in the Far East then this may be informative: https://www.china-briefing.com/…/chinese-new-year-and-its-…/

Edited by Davidjsmith
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

Article on Facebook, the new 24 versions are developing well and we may see a "new" livery version by June , with the rest coming out at different times to help those with multiple purchases, I have 3 on order, Phil also stated that there has been a 70% take up on orders, so there could be sell outs before delivery, especially the "Scottish" 24 being popular

I've just finished working on 24081 for a client. Bulled up to the nine's as requested! I've enjoyed researching these locos over the past few weeks. Maybe able to get away with a green one on my own layout!

The sound in these things is in particular stunning!

DSC05622.jpg.1300b57232ad894ba7f04c77d3f6c0dc.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2019 at 18:52, 9793 said:

The sound in these things is in particular stunning!

You are not wrong there, I spent a very pleasurable hour running two of mine up and down my shunting layout this weekend. I hadn’t run them for 8-9 months and had forgotten just how good they are. Really looking forward to the new ones arriving.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1