Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Michael Delamar said:

If anyone can find me any evidence of a 24 on the CLC north Liverpool extension pre 1964 I’ll buy one of these.

Rule 1 Mike.  Rule 1 always applies.  Blag one anyway, you know it makes sense.

• Agree 1

On 27/04/2019 at 03:22, 9793 said:

I've just finished working on 24081 for a client. Bulled up to the nine's as requested! I've enjoyed researching these locos over the past few weeks. Maybe able to get away with a green one on my own layout!

The sound in these things is in particular stunning!

DSC05622.jpg.1300b57232ad894ba7f04c77d3f6c0dc.jpg

Great Effort Tom, like the weathering. Out of interest how do you take the photos/what equipment do you use for photography?

Regards Connor

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CCGWR said:

Great Effort Tom, like the weathering. Out of interest how do you take the photos/what equipment do you use for photography?

Regards Connor

Hi Connor

Just my A6000 Sony camera, and two pieces of white foam board. Slight editing to take out where the white foam board meets. That's about it. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Update from SLW yesterday on facebook:

LATE SPRING UPDATE

It has been some time since we sent out a direct communication, but we simply detest the (completely unnecessary) trend for companies to bombard customers with messages for no real reason. There has been little relevant news to report - it is all progressing behind the scenes and we don't want to bore you with a running commentary - but it is now about time we 'checked-in' to keep you all fully informed.

Spring show visits successful

We’ve had a busy Spring, attending both the York Model Railway Show (during the Easter weekend) and the more finescale-focused Scalefour North gathering in Wakefield. We also demonstrated our sound Class 24 locomotives as part of Mostyn layout’s highly-successful appearance at the Bristol Exhibition in May. Thank you to all of you who took the time to visit the demonstrations or simply say ‘hello’. One of the many highlights from these events was chatting with some Derby Locomotive Works employees who were responsible for overhauling and repairing the Class 24s. Some fascinating insights were absorbed. We have no further formal outing planned apart from a possible visit to Wrec-Rail (Market Harborough) on June 29th.

Delivery latest

We can advise that decoration has been completed and final assembly of the new batch of models is well advanced in our factory. It has been a little frustrating that the brand new bodyshell variants and improvements that we have incorporated (glazing, grilles and wipers) have taken so long to implement but, from what we have seen, it will be worth the wait. In retrospect, it would have been easier to simply press the ‘repeat’ button but that’s not the SLW way, and does not encompass our improvement strategy.

When you factor in packing, shipping and customs it is unlikely the first of the new locomotives (No. 97201 EXPERIMENT) is going to reach us before July. Remember, unlike others, we don’t charge anything until our models are ready to go out to you – there’s no toxic crowdfunding here! We will do our best to process orders quickly but please do consider we are only a one-man, one-woman operation. Put simply, the best things come to those who wait…

The good news is that, as a whole, nearly 70% of the entire production has already been pre-sold re-affirming our trust in the enthusiast choosing what they want to see produced! So, if you are still dithering on some of these four versions, don’t delay as we predict a further last-minute rush to purchase when they break cover. The new versions (Research, Two-tone Green, Standard Green & BR ScR Blue) will be staged across several months to lessen the financial burden for customers. Once these are out of the way, it is likely we will re-invigorate the voting process for future liveries and body type combinations.

'Highland' Class 24 progress

There has been significant interest in the Scottish ‘Highland’ locos (our 2019/20 project) where we were showing design phase progress at the above mentioned exhibitions – see graphic below. Don’t forget to place a firm pre-order for these variants (Green plus pre and post-TOPS Blue) by telephone on 01780 470086 (preferred), e-mail, or here:
https://railexclusive.com//products.php?cat=14

There are still a number of you that remain to convert their expression of interest into a firm order, so we urge you to do this as soon as possible.

Last chance book offer

We also recently participated in several successful picture-book launches covering BR operations in the 1970s. All highly nostalgic stuff! We still have some stocks of the following volumes which we are offering on a first-come, first-served basis at a discounted price of £12.99 each, £24 for two, £34 for three. P&P is £2.95 any size order.

• Britain’s Railways in the 1970s by David Hayes
• Eastern Region in the 1970s & 80s by Andy Gibbs
• Western Region in the 1970s & 80s by Kevin Redwood

We understand that some of these titles are sold out at the publisher and are awaiting a possible re-printing. To secure your copy call us now on 01780 470086 or order via the website at:
https://railexclusive.com//products.php?cat=16
before we offer them to a wider audience. We will not be re-stocking...

Thank you for your continued support and encouragement. As always, we are more than happy to answer specific queries by telephone during normal office hours. Please do not hesitate to call if you still have any outstanding questions and here is a gentle reminder… Do let us know if you have changed contact details or have new or updated payment information (such as re-issued cards) as this will speed things up in the future. Happy modelling!

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

EXPERIMENT BREAKS COVER

“All life is an experiment.
The more experiments you make the better.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882), American Philosopher  

As one of our valued customers, we are delighted to be able to inform you that our initial ‘vote-inspired’ re-run of the Class 24 is complete and currently making its way to the UK. 

SLW’s rendition of the ever-popular No. 97201 EXPERIMENT - in the attractive red and blue colour scheme of British Rail’s Research Department - is now on the high seas, with despatch to purchasers expected to take place during October. You can also rest-assured that our other four new variants (Two-tone green, Standard green and ScR BR blue with pre-TOPS and TOPS numbers) are following on closely behind.

A high resolution image is available here: https://flic.kr/p/2gWeN3E

Our photograph is of an example plucked from the middle of production and clearly vindicates our effort to make a number of subtle enhancements in the light of customer feedback and operational experience. Have a close look and see if you can spot the numerous upgrades… 

It is worth mentioning that this RTC -based loco introduces a completely new period-accurate bodyshell (Crewe production series with late exhaust but retaining the original cab front doors). We sincerely believe this new representation will quickly establish itself as the definitive model of the now-preserved machine once railway modellers 'get their mitts' on it.

Not too late to order

EXPERIMENT, with its unique livery, remains a popular subject (despite having been issued several times before by another manufacturer) and, as such, is already heavily pre-sold to those that requested this particular machine through our voting system. If you have not yet reserved this model but wish to do so now, we urge a quick response to this communication by telephoning 01780 470086. Please do not delay, as it is being promoted via advertisements placed in the national modelling press over the next few weeks.

If you are still looking for an excuse for it to join your roster, just remember this was the last Class 24 in use on BR (up until 1987), had a wide sphere of operation whilst on test duties and was a regular attendee at depot open days right across the country!

Check your payment information

A quick reminder for those who have already pre-ordered: Please contact us if you have recently received a replacement card or changed accounts since your payment information was originally given. Cards need to be valid for the period from 10/19 onwards - any out of date records will invariably result in a delay to individual shipping.

See SLW Class 24s in action

We hope to be visiting ‘Expo EM Autumn’ on September 7th & 8th in a social capacity and may be lending some samples to our friends Karl Crowther and Peter Fletcher, exhibiting with Hebble Vale Goods and Hudson Street respectively. South Pelaw is also on the layout roster so it should be worth making the trip to Wakefield. For more details click here

“A fool is a man who never tried
an experiment in his life.”
Erasmus Darwin (1731-1802), English Physician

Thank you for your continued support and encouragement. 

Happy modelling!
Philip & Jamie

The original SLW 24 was an excellent model, and really raised the bar, the sound quality was also superb.  The new RTC 24 once again looks really good. Some of the upgrades are quite noticeable, the glazing, pipe retaining clips on the bogie frames, not so sure about the rad grills from the photo above, be interesting to view these along side the originals ?  Perhaps it it will be more apparent once a model is to hand.  Roll on the new ScR BR Blue tops ones, and the Highland 24/1's.

• Like 2

I'm glad the news is now public, the suspense was killing me. LOL.

I had the pre-production model for inspection a few weeks ago. Sublime. If there was a model to tempt me back to 00, this would be it.

Lots of subtle changes as well as the more obvious ones. Glazing is now so clear you can read the micro printing on the warning panels inside the cab.

Is that grease on the buffers?

Some things, like the altered buffer spring rate, will only become obvious when handled.

As you would expect, with a batch of improvements like those mentioned (and not mentioned) a refreshed sound project is required. The onboard sound system remains the same high quality, but there are a number of added operational features provided which will enhance the already exceptional user experience.

Including, but not only, speed related flange squeal which does not play when standing, a dozen different horn variations - direction dependent and an automated 'wagon buffering' feature which I have created and are exclusive to my ZIMO sound projects.

Of course, it will be immediately available with P4 and EM wheelset options on release.

All in all, the SLW Class 24 'Experiment' sound-fitted model is a value added package that will raise the bar yet higher.

Yes, I'm a little biased, perhaps, but that's mainly because I've seen and heard it in operation.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Markwj said:

According to the slw website class 24 experiment is now in stock- anyone received theirs yet?

Thanks for the update. I imagine it will take some time to get them all posted as there are only 2 people. No sign of mine yet.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, girlinb said:

Where does it say it's in stock, It still says pre-order but I maybe missing something

It said on the website in faint grey letters under the order button -50 in stock but weirdly I can't find the page now!

• 2 weeks later...

It would appear that more than 97201 maybe  in the pipeline as I have ordered 3 different Locos , Including 97201, my others being one of the Scottish Locos and a later green model, although I have a feeling my order of 97201 may have been duplicated as I have been charged £268 for each of the 3 , whereas I was under the impression  the "Scottish locos" were a little more expensive .I will have to get in touch with SLW tomorrow.

SLW are aware that some payments have been duplicated and are in the process of correcting the overcharge and only 97201 is due to be sent.

Edited by brittannia
change of circumstance

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, D400 said:

Payment for my 97201 was taken this morning so they can’t be that far away :)

Bruce

There may be one at Hazel Grove Exhibition this weekend....................

;)