Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 18:46, girlinb said:

I got delivery notification yesterday and it arrived before 10 this morning - my first SLW loco and its damn good. The packaging and even the box it shipped in are great - proper packing!

Track48 so either postie is being too efficient for once or the delivery notifications are going out the day after its been posted. Packaging etc great and compared to the price of other locos you have to wonder at the relative cheap packaging others use. The one negativity is the need to go online to find the manual. Mine is only fitted with a screw link coupling at one end, presume they are all like that.

EDIT - Does have screw links at both ends, one must have got tangled with the pipework and worked itself free as it had appeared by the end of it being test run

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Gold

Love these Loco’s just got to work out why my EchO’s not showing all the sound functions it has had the update ?I have two Scottish 24’s on order.I just hope they do announce a series of 25’s next year. My 24 order book is exhausted !

Edited by Davidjsmith

It’s glorious! The theatre of opening the brown paper wrapped box, to reveal that metal box wrapped in SLW branded tissue paper. Lift the lid off, move the foam top layer and there it sits, in all its majesty. A work of art. Well worth the wait!

879696B1-E978-4163-98C1-23D0E1A3BF89.jpeg

E104E676-ABBF-4712-B381-EF52E7B7D1CA.jpeg

6E3A7815-D3D4-4ABB-BFB4-97540A1DDBEC.jpeg

B0CF788C-2996-4F21-A50E-06621A4FC8B5.jpeg

A366273A-578C-4035-B839-E3BDFB9BA6C3.jpeg

Edited by 66738
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

In today's market it is really rather nice to be able to just buy a model when it arrives from the factory, from a supplier willing to put their own money up to develop the product and carry their own risk. 

• Agree 5

On 26/10/2019 at 09:39, Butler Henderson said:

Track48 so either postie is being too efficient for once or the delivery notifications are going out the day after its been posted. Packaging etc great and compared to the price of other locos you have to wonder at the relative cheap packaging others use. The one negativity is the need to go online to find the manual. Mine is only fitted with a screw link coupling at one end, presume they are all like that.

EDIT - Does have screw links at both ends, one must have got tangled with the pipework and worked itself free as it had appeared by the end of it being test run

They are sent Royal Mail special delivery, which guarantees next day pre 1pm delivery. Take all of the foam out of the box...the instructions and documentation are packed in the bottom. 

On 26/10/2019 at 14:27, Butler Henderson said:

Pity the add on parts are in typical taped on self seal bags, which have in the case of mine be removed to access the loco fixing screws - the one bit of the presentation where it is bettered by Dapols Western

Having to remove a strip of sellotape. What an absolute nightmare.  I'd hate to see you building flat pack furniture.... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
On 26/10/2019 at 10:10, Davidjsmith said:

Love these Loco’s just got to work out why my EchO’s not showing all the sound functions it has had the update ?I have two Scottish 24’s on order.I just hope they do announce a series of 25’s next year. My 24 order book is exhausted !

Have you hit the F17+ button David? 

5 hours ago, blueeighties said:

Having to remove a strip of sellotape. What an absolute nightmare.  I'd hate to see you building flat pack furniture.... 

Put many together thank you but I do expect to the pack it back away afterwards -  I was use making a straight forward comparison with the one bit of Dapols packaging that got some positive comments as being a notable improvement on what others were offering. Thank you for your sarcastic comment which sort of reflects how downhill the comments on this forum have gone in the last year or so.  

Edited by Butler Henderson

10 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Put many together thank you but I do expect to the pack it back away afterwards -  I was use making a straight forward comparison with the one bit of Dapols packaging that got some positive comments as being a notable improvement on what others were offering. Thank you for your sarcastic comment which sort of reflects how downhill the comments on this forum have gone in the last year or so.  

You're welcome. It's certainly true how "downhill the comments on this forum have gone in the last year or so", when folk such as yourself are moaning over the absolute travesty of having to to remove a 3cm long length of sellotape. 

Perhaps a new thread should be started, perhaps entitled along the lines of, '101 ways to suck the fun out of a lump of concrete.'

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

Finally got mine from the sorting office, complete with a obvious impact to the box despite the fragile sticker. Luckily the quality of the SLW packaging and foam means no damage to the tin. Gold star for SLW, must try harder for the Postie!

Will have to fire it up later on as the conversation earlier went:

3yr old “wo-ooow”

me “yep”

3yr old “can I...”

me “no...”

3yr old “but can I...”

Me “No.” *puts loco far out of reach of said 3yr old*

Even my little one is impressed with it (yes I know his threshold isn’t that high yet!)

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Davidjsmith said:

No but switched all the extra ones on in the sound settings!Trouble is don’t use it enough got to get a proper layout up & running .

So hitting the F17+ button will toggle the throttle screen display so you can access them. Hours of fun! 

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Monkey28 said:

I'm very disappointed that this locomotive doesn't come with metal name plates just some poor airfix style  transfers 

I would have expected at least the name to be printed on the loco .

The real locomotive did not have metal plates so there is no point putting them on the model.

The name was not carried all the time the locomotive was in this livery so providing the name as a sticker seems to me to be the best solution. There is even a spare.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Monkey28 said:

I'm very disappointed that this locomotive doesn't come with metal name plates just some poor airfix style  transfers 

I would have expected at least the name to be printed on the loco .

The nameplate on 97201 wasn't in a fixed position and was generally only on one side of the loco, being moved by staff for unknown reasons. It also ran without a nameplate on many occasions. In not printing one on, SLW are catering for all prototypical possibilities.

The loco never really carried a traditional style metal nameplate and previous models have provided transfers to best capture the thin plate that was used. I'm not sure what the original nameplate was made of.  More details on it can be found about half way down the page here:

https://www.derbysulzers.com/5061.html

• RMweb Gold

Just got mine - well done SLW. :)

Come back home with a pristine brown papered box with Royal Mail "Tracked 48 Signature" at the top of my address label.

I don't know who signed for it though because we weren't in! :blink:

Now to go away and open it... :P

Kev.