Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived today - sadly I've no where to run it but this is an excellent example of doing things well. Incredibly well packaged.

I've always liked the RTC livery since I found a picture of 97201 in Vic Berry's yard, which is very close to where I live.

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 07:37, blueeighties said:

You're welcome. It's certainly true how "downhill the comments on this forum have gone in the last year or so", when folk such as yourself are moaning over the absolute travesty of having to to remove a 3cm long length of sellotape. 

Perhaps a new thread should be started, perhaps entitled along the lines of, '101 ways to suck the fun out of a lump of concrete.'

And you no doubt will be the chief poster of it twisting what people have said and insulting them.

Do everyone a favour and read things properly (assuming you can).

If you had a Dapol Western you would be well aware of how the on odd parts are presented in a boxed container that could have quite easily been replicated in the plastic base.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

And you no doubt will be the chief poster of it twisting what people have said and insulting them.

Do everyone a favour and read things properly (assuming you can).

If you had a Dapol Western you would be well aware of how the on odd parts are presented in a boxed container that could have quite easily been replicated in the plastic base.

Seem to me both of the above posts are not about the Main Article of the Forum,  which is about the SLW Class 24 and not " nitpickings about the" extras"

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone help with info on where 97201 would/would not work to - ie did it have ‘regular’ workings or just go anywhere on the main line network? 

I model Norfolk circa 86/87 and am interested in one but wondering how much use of rule 1 and how much semi prototypical workings I could muster.

I’ve tried googling but can’t see much about main line in service - obviously lots of photos at Derby and at depot open days.

Many Thanks

6 minutes ago, SHerr said:

Can anyone help with info on where 97201 would/would not work to - ie did it have ‘regular’ workings or just go anywhere on the main line network? 

I model Norfolk circa 86/87 and am interested in one but wondering how much use of rule 1 and how much semi prototypical workings I could muster.

I’ve tried googling but can’t see much about main line in service - obviously lots of photos at Derby and at depot open days.

Many Thanks

Try this Flickr search: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=97201

Shows it on test trains at Cricklewood, Manchester, Newcastle, Crewe, Durham and Carlisle.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just opened my class 24- what an experience quality packaging/ instructions printed on quality paper then a quality model at the bottom of it all. Love the man tin handy for spare bits unless you use it for storing the loco.

Didn't move at first until I depressed f2 to release the brake- clever stuff.

Lastly though what have you guys done re the couplings have you removed or just trimmed the brake pipes etc? Did they come out easily?

Have pre ordered a second model on the basis of this one.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Lastly though what have you guys done re the couplings have you removed or just trimmed the brake pipes etc? Did they come out easily?

I find that the tension lock coupling moves around quite happily with all the buffer beam gubbins still in place, except for the coupling chain itself. I think it's because the plastic used for the pipes is quite flexible. Not sure whether that's intentional or not, but if it is, it's a clever idea.

• Thanks 1

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 13:50, BR(S) said:

The nameplate on 97201 wasn't in a fixed position and was generally only on one side of the loco, being moved by staff for unknown reasons. It also ran without a nameplate on many occasions. In not printing one on, SLW are catering for all prototypical possibilities.

Suppose an alternative would be a steel nameplate with a magnetic strip on the inside of the body on either side allowing for it to be attached to either side or left off. Maybe something for a third party supplier to come up with.

I received mine now...………….What a fabulous loco light years ahead of what the big 3 offer and at the same price point for sound. Class 47 next please as I would replace all my Heljan fleet in a heart beat if you produce one to these standards.....Great work Phil and team!

Brenn

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have received mine and I have to say it is a remarkable model on every level, and packaged in a style which would get an approval from Steve Jobs (were he still alive....), everything about it just screams quality. The tin box may be a gimmick but it is a feel good gimmick that brings a warm glow, and it is very nicely done (probably the best I've seen, tin boxes are surprisingly popular for packaging models).

On the model itself, as some of you know my principal interest in model trains in North American and Japanese outline brass HO, and the levels of detail, finish and attention to getting it right on this model match (or surpass) my brass models. The glazing, the paint finish, the printing, it is just all exceptionally well done. And as for shape and the all important "face" of the model, it just looks right to me.

When these were first released I was sceptical and took against some of the semi-cultish reaction from some, hailing SLW as the second coming of the messiah type reactions, and to be honest I'm still not a fan of cultish behaviour but I will say that this model is outstanding, a remarkable piece of model making, and thoroughly deserves it's acclaim as a benchmark in OO models.

And for the price, tremendous value. When I look at the attention to the overall presentation, packaging and detail of this model and look at price relative to other models it represents excellent value for money. And no pre-ordering, manufacture to order or crowdfunding type stuff. Well done to SLW, I'll admit that I'm eating a few words that may be dug up from me earlier in this thread...…..:o

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Have received mine and I have to say it is a remarkable model on every level, and packaged in a style which would get an approval from Steve Jobs (were he still alive....), everything about it just screams quality. The tin box may be a gimmick but it is a feel good gimmick that brings a warm glow, and it is very nicely done (probably the best I've seen, tin boxes are surprisingly popular for packaging models).

I think that's a bit of an unfair comparison - I'm very confident that the SLW products are not toys.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I think that's a bit of an unfair comparison - I'm very confident that the SLW products are not toys.

Where did I say Slw products are toys? I commented that I think Steve Jobs of Apple would approve of the presentation. Given that Apple are seen as a benchmark for presentation and giving people a warm glow from the purchase experience and unboxing I would consider it a compliment. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Apple are like "my first phone" - shiny and colourful but you can't actually do anything with them. You can graduate to an adult one later.

I think you missed the tongue in cheek behind my comment :)

Except iphones are not like 'my first phone', perhaps why we missed the 'joke' 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/11/2019 at 10:28, Butler Henderson said:

Fitted an ESU Lokpilot v4 which has a number of very long CV screens in Decoder Pro - are their are any particular CVs that need tweaking or are necessary to change to get the lights responding correctly?

You may ?  find that a Lokpilot V4 does not have enough function outputs to give full control of all the lighting options available.  The earlier sound fitted versions came fitted with Zimo decoders that allowed full control of the fitted lighting options, I assume this is still the case with the latest batch of models. 

HTH

Edited by tractor_37260
amend text
  • Agree 1