Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

10 minutes ago, meurglysIII said:

Brackets are on one end only

6AB5B549-0CD8-45F8-917B-903401020CBC.jpeg

Thanks for confirming, with their absolute attention to detail, very unlikely SLW would have missed them.  

Not quite, photo of the No 2 end of the model further up, clearly show the extra brackets fitted above the tail lights as on the prototype photo are indeed missing............

Edited by tractor_37260

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

Thanks for confirming, with their absolute attention to detail, very unlikely SLW would have missed them.  

There is a pic of the model #2 end a few posts above - it does not have the brackets as per your post of the prototype pic.

It does have the alternate location of OLE flashes between the two ends  though...………..

• Agree 1

I see now. There is a bag of extra detailing parts which looks to include brackets. No fitting instructions in the box, maybe on the pdf on the website, but having trouble connecting to that to have a look.

I’m sure somebody with more info will clarify. I’m not really clued up on all the detail differences.

16 hours ago, Max Legroom said:

The extra brackets were fitted when it worked on the Southern at the start of it's career. I've looked at a few photos and it had them at both ends until the end.

24025 had them too, but by my reckoning a standard lamp could be a bitch to get on with the bracket so close to the hand rail. Could it be some sort of head board bracket 

1AA48578-152A-429C-AED4-7D20C685FA18.jpeg

Edited by 25901

1 hour ago, Max Legroom said:

The extra brackets were fitted when it worked on the Southern at the start of it's career. I've looked at a few photos and it had them at both ends until the end.

Yes, headcode disc brackets for use with SR six disc headcodes.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

And 24025 has them because D5000  - 19 worked on the Southern..... and 24025 is a body snatcher, is actually 24005 .

See RCTS - http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/diesel-dilemmas/d5005-d5025-identity-swap .... and Derby Sulzer web site.... https://www.derbysulzers.com/24025.html

Edited by Phil Bullock
Added link
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

And 24025 has them because D5000  - 19 worked on the Southern..... and 24025 is a body snatcher, is actually 24005 .

See RCTS - http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/diesel-dilemmas/d5005-d5025-identity-swap .... and Derby Sulzer web site.... https://www.derbysulzers.com/24025.html

A very tempting one to model Phil, being out of sequence, so I did, seen below running on Shenston Road.

771236551_5025.Differentsidedifferentgrills-1.jpg.e8daea287c125a297493b9000d057cb1.jpg

Paul J.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Max Legroom said:

Very nice Paul. What did you use for the extra SR brackets above the tail lights. 

Max

I used some Phospher bronze pickup strip, filed down to the right width, although I'm pretty certain SLW did have some etched parts available to replicate them when they first brought the early version out. Might be worth asking if they still have some.

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Swindon 123 said:

A very tempting one to model Phil, being out of sequence, so I did, seen below running on Shenston Road.

771236551_5025.Differentsidedifferentgrills-1.jpg.e8daea287c125a297493b9000d057cb1.jpg

Paul J.

And very nice too Paul. They appeared fairly frequently in the West Midlands - not so common down our neck of the woods but we already have an SLW one in GFYE as D5009 and a couple of D5082s on order, ID yet to be determined. And then theres the Bacchy headcode version to come.....

Funnily enough many locos of yours also appear on Abbotswood - think we used the same photos!

The additional brackets for SR disc routing was addressed for earlier releases of green locos loaned to Southen Region. It was a conscious decision to exclude them from the standard model, but accurate etches were made available to enable the brackets to be prepared and applied by those owners who required them.

These etchings are still available, at no cost beyond a stamped addressed envelope, from SLW  for their Class 24 models of locos which were allocated to the Southern Region.

Best regards,

Paul

381204581_Class24_SR_HeadboardBrackets.jpg.66a400856c69cdda6591d47bfd3dc14a.jpg

Here’s what SLW had to say:

Class 24 No. 24009 was one of the original pilot scheme machines that was loaned to the Southern Region (1959-1962) and during this time received the SR headboard brackets. Not all locos that went on loan had the brackets fitted. We can offer 24009 customers a free etch of headboard brackets (that requires to be bent up, painted and attached to the model) on receipt of a postal request that includes a stamped self-addressed envelope. This is the same on-request arrangement that applied for our previous all-over green models (sold out D5016/7) which also saw use on the SR. Experience has taught us that not everybody wants to the apply extra details and some customers like to change model identities.

We apologise for any delay in responding to correspondence at the moment. We are only a two-person team and all efforts are directed at dispatching pre-ordered models before the Christmas holiday period. Following on from BR blue Nos. 24009 & 5099, the last guaranteed despatch before Christmas took place today, with D5082 and 'CONDOR' headboard being shipped out. There are still a few pre-orders sat ticking over in King's Cliffe holding sidings, waiting updated or new payment details so please check your inboxes (inc. spam) for notification and call us ASAP. We will try and get any new and remaining orders out as soon as possible...

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

One other minor omission on 24009 are the fuel gauges on the tanks at the number one end. Modelu produce driver figures and Railtec builders plates should complete things nicely. I must admit to being a bit nervous about doing anything to such a nice model. I’ll quite happily take a scalpel to a Bachmann 25 but this is on a different level!

Edited by Max Legroom
Missing loco number

• RMweb Premium

That’s a great comparison shot for showing the subtle differences between them which helps explain where the Bachmann one goes awry. A combination of errors. I built new cabs for my one, better but not as good as these which are of course ‘there’ in all senses. Maybe one day I will be able to justify getting one but at present other priorities take precedent.

Many thanks for sharing the shot.

Izzy

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

That’s a great comparison shot for showing the subtle differences between them which helps explain where the Bachmann one goes awry. A combination of errors. I built new cabs for my one, better but not as good as these which are of course ‘there’ in all senses. Maybe one day I will be able to justify getting one but at present other priorities take precedent.

Many thanks for sharing the shot.

Izzy

Thank You Izzy,

I thought it not very necessary to explain which one is the Bachmann and which one is the SLW :-) 

However I will keep the Bachmann because I think it is still an acceptable 24 with an acceptable sound.

It was Bachmann's very first 24 with DCC Sound and back then I was quite impressed !

You can watch it here :
https://www.youtube.com/user/grootsan/videos

I also want to keep the Bachmann as a workhorse for pulling wagons where I'd rather leave all those buffer beam details of my SLW alone.

Merry Christmas, Jan

Edited by jandejager

31 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Has anyone established exactly when 5099 left Glasgow works with the plated doors as per the SLW model? The Derby Sulzers site does not have this info unfortunately, but shows it was noted at Glasgow Works several times between 1969 and 1974. 

https://www.derbysulzers.com/24099.html

Tia,

Martyn.

June 1971 it had centred discs and plated gangway doors so some time earlier than that.

Edited by Nick G
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks Nick, top information, I was hoping it was before 1972.....

Hang on think I am giving you bum info here, are we talking 24009 or 24099?

Edited by Nick G