Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

7 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Has anyone established exactly when 5099 left Glasgow works with the plated doors as per the SLW model? The Derby Sulzers site does not have this info unfortunately, but shows it was noted at Glasgow Works several times between 1969 and 1974. 

https://www.derbysulzers.com/24099.html

Tia,

Martyn.

A feeling of deja vu has come over me, whilst looking for something else, I stumbled on a good photo of 5099 at Falkland Yard on P.93 of "Seventies Spotting Days Around The Scottish Region" (Strathwood), taken in October 1972, by which time it did have the plated doors and central headcode discs (which appear to be black edged). Thing is I'm sure I have mentioned this photo before on this thread, some time back.....

However, earlier dated sightings in this condition would be helpful if anyone knows of any.:good_mini:

Martyn.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/12/2019 at 11:33, Roy Langridge said:

My 24009 is here but handed over to the wife unopened as it is my Christmas present. Looking forward to it :-)

Roy

What a surprise it was when I was given a 24009 today ;-)

In order to properly thank the family, I have decided to treat them to all five of my SLW in full song tomorrow!

Happy Christmas to you all :-)

Roy

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have noticed that my 24009 has NO white round fuel gauge on the larger tank on neither side of the loco unlike what the colour drawing shows on their brochure.

I can live with (or without) it however I can't imagine they have made a mistake by omitting that gauge :-)   

My Bachman 24035 does have a gauge on one side.

capture2.jpg

SLW 24009 03.jpg

Edited by jandejager

1 hour ago, Max Legroom said:

I noticed this too. All the photos I can find show the gauge so it looks like a mistake. I wonder if SLW will offer the part at some point as it isn’t something that can be easily added.

24 081 has the gauges, rather odd they are missing on 24 009 ? perhaps alternative tanks were tooled up and the factory just used the wrong ones by mistake ?

Regardless I'm confident SLW will sort it out....

• Like 2

There was a lot of variation in the gauges. For instance a 1972 photo of 5099 after having the door sealed at Glasgow works had 4 gauges, one in each corner of the tanks, but I've not seen photos of the SLW model to confirm if this is present on the model. 5090 which retained filthy plain green livery and unmodified ends into 1972, appears to have had none (though not covered by a SLW version). Some had only 2 as has been remarked. I'm wondering if they were only added during refurbishment in the late 60s / early 70s?

So there are at least 3 permutations of gauges and some locos also had 1 set of tanks removed of course (boiler water?)

The 24/1's are also a minefield in this respect.

They are quite a noticable detail on the real things in fairness, so I can understand people saying it should be right on such a premium loco, though they are not too hard to add with a bit of DIY. Horses for courses and all that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 27/12/2019 at 12:47, sjp23480 said:

Got my 5082 for Christmas, have to agree it is an absolutely stunning model. Very happy.:D

Steve

I got me research livered sound 24 for Crimbo and quite simply this is the best diesel model I have seen ever!!! Its standards are miles ahead of any Bachmann, Hornby ,Heljan offering and at the £250 price point, which seem to be the benchmark price point for sound locos, it's brilliant! The level of detail and the clever function of the cab lights really shows the attention to detail in the development of this loco. It is simple light years ahead of any other BR diesel model.

I have a large collection of every class of 00 BR Blue models produced going back to my 1978 Hornby class 29 and it's quite startling just how far the standards of models have progressed. hopefully the new Deltic will changing this model for the best yet produced in my collection.   

I would heartily recommend anyone to purchase this loco as you won't be disappointed and you will see the value of cost in all it's detail from the packaging to every aspect of the loco. SLW hurry up and do a other loco soon:)

BW

Mike

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, brenn said:

I got me research livered sound 24 for Crimbo and quite simply this is the best diesel model I have seen ever!!! Its standards are miles ahead of any Bachmann, Hornby ,Heljan offering and at the £250 price point, which seem to be the benchmark price point for sound locos, it's brilliant! The level of detail and the clever function of the cab lights really shows the attention to detail in the development of this loco. It is simple light years ahead of any other BR diesel model.

I have a large collection of every class of 00 BR Blue models produced going back to my 1978 Hornby class 29 and it's quite startling just how far the standards of models have progressed. hopefully the new Deltic will changing this model for the best yet produced in my collection.   

I would heartily recommend anyone to purchase this loco as you won't be disappointed and you will see the value of cost in all it's detail from the packaging to every aspect of the loco. SLW hurry up and do a other loco soon:)

BW

Mike

Agreed Mike, I will see and hear it running probably this Tuesday (Br Blue 24009).

Bachmann loses this battle and indeed my 24035 doesn't look as brilliant as this SLW 24009 although they make pretty good models like their Class 40159

Hornby comes not far behind in detail however with the recent Class 87035 and Lord Nelson.
Hornby's 87035 with Legomanbiffo sound was about the same price as my 24009.
That sound doubled it more in price but it was justified I think.

With Heljan I am a bit wary ...........

Greetings, Jan

My 87035 11 cropped.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I Hope they launch the new web site I believe they are working on (maybe with a new product launch). It’s harder to get information without just contacting them .Current website not really updated some things put on Facebook (which I don’t do).I know it’s only the two person team .Love the product & customer service & looking forward to  Highland 24/1 Locos .Need to have 25 Locos before I retire!!!

4 hours ago, RD400 said:

Having just got my D5082 today the new sound functions are superb will just have to send them my others for a reblow. 

I was able to make a video of my 24009 on the layout of my good friend.

We still have to sort out all the functions next time because it is a bit overwhelming.

I agree it sounds quite good to be honest.

Cheers, Jan

• Friendly/supportive 1