Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Nice video! I love the sound of Sulzers in the morning.....

Thanks Phil !
You have a nice channel too.

Compare it with the sound of my Bachmann 24035 (white handrails) and Bachmann 25286

I'd say the 25286 doesn't come far behind the SLW and the 24035 comes third.

• RMweb Gold
On 11/01/2020 at 08:18, Phil Bullock said:

Nice video! I love the sound of Sulzers in the morning.....

Only in the morning? You are hereby removed from my list of sensible posters ;)

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Can’t type
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Only in the morning? You are hereby removed from my list of sensible posters ;)

Roy

I can't claim originality Roy! Just parody...

4 hours ago, jandejager said:

I like this one also very much !
It hauls 12 coaches on a layout that has some inclines.

Nice! How does the 24 haulage compare to the Bacchy versions ? - never had any issues with them in that department....

Edited by Phil Bullock

Nice! How does the 24 haulage compare to the Bacchy versions ? - never had any issues with them in that department....

Bachmann's are also hauling these 12 coaches without any trouble just like the 87035

I think the SLW would do the same but I want to leave the bufferbeam details in place.

I ordered my SLW with sound but without "supercap".
If the track is reasonable clean it seems to be ok and my Bachmann's don't have supercaps either.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, jandejager said:

I think the SLW would do the same but I want to leave the bufferbeam details in place.

Cheers! And you can do that of you fit a wire coupling loop......

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, jandejager said:

I've left almost all the buffer beam details in place and fitted the tension lock coupling on one end and it runs without any problems. All I had to remove was the three-link chain. as I found that fouled the coupling.

Otherwise, all the pipes seem to be sufficiently flexible to enable the coupling to move freely. It's worked on two SLW 24s for me now. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just in case anyone else experiences the same issue:

I had a problem with distorted horn sounds on my 97201. All other sounds, including engine noise, were fine. I contacted Jamie, who asked me to return the chip, which she reckoned was causing the problem. A few days later, a replacement chip arrived which works just fine.

Fantastic service. Fantastic locos. Full stop.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Can I ask please, what is the projected delivery date for the 24/1?

I know its already been quoted here but I don't fancy trawling through dozens of pages to find it!

Thank you chaps.

• RMweb Gold
On 13/01/2020 at 09:43, Waverley West said:

Just in case anyone else experiences the same issue:

I had a problem with distorted horn sounds on my 97201. All other sounds, including engine noise, were fine. I contacted Jamie, who asked me to return the chip, which she reckoned was causing the problem. A few days later, a replacement chip arrived which works just fine.

Fantastic service. Fantastic locos. Full stop.

I had the same issue and it was swiftly resolved  with a replacement chip...great service

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gary H said:

I know its already been quoted here but I don't fancy trawling through dozens of pages to find it!

Thank you chaps.

I didn’t think there was one yet? In fact, I thought it wasn’t yet confirmed that it would be made. I hope it is. 

Roy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gary H said:

Thank you chaps.

From the Christmas email:

'The Highland Class 24/1 project will come to fruition next year. It has taken a lot of investment - in both research and design - to make it as accurate as possible as we focus on the small but characteristic details that will make the model shine. Unlike others we are in the 'quality, not speed' camp, happy to check. and check again, before cutting any metal. This will be an absolutely stunning model with its working headlights, three-piece snowploughs and tablet-catching apparatus. 
Don't forget to place a firm order with us if you have not done so already.'

So, sometime this year...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Davidjsmith said:

It will be interesting to know if current news events will cause any delays?

The Chinese factories are back up and making model trains, they had somewhere around an additional 3 week closure after the Chinese New Year closure.

Such a stunning loco, interested in getting 97201 to be used as a heritage diesel on a modern layout but see that in preservation at NYMR it was re-painted back to BR Green with the white stripe.

Any ideas if other models in the range in this BR Green livery could be re-numbered to match the preserved prototype?

12 hours ago, classy52 said:

Such a stunning loco, interested in getting 97201 to be used as a heritage diesel on a modern layout but see that in preservation at NYMR it was re-painted back to BR Green with the white stripe.

Any ideas if other models in the range in this BR Green livery could be re-numbered to match the preserved prototype?

97201 MRC Butterley 1984

8 hours ago, Holmesfeldian said:

97201 MRC Butterley 1984

That photo would have been taken probably before the noughties as it has been in BR Green (without yellow ends) since 2003 going by the photos on the web...see below photo in its green livery which it has today.

image.png.c2c658c3954261328af3aadd54037b59.png

22 hours ago, classy52 said:

If you wanted to do D5061 in green as in preservation none of the models currently available or planned would fit the bill. The only real option is to buy the model of 97201 and repaint it all over green with the stripe I'm afraid.

Paul J.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Swindon 123 said:

If you wanted to do D5061 in green as in preservation none of the models currently available or planned would fit the bill. The only real option is to buy the model of 97201 and repaint it all over green with the stripe I'm afraid.

Paul J.

No worries thanks Paul, I don't know much about the Class 24 thus was wondering if there was one in the lineup to cater for a preserved model but maybe in the future one will get done because these SLW 24's look & sound outstanding.

Edited by classy52

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

An Inverurie shopped loco working on the LMR with GWR signals? You cant run that, it would never happen! What a fantastic photo from Brush Veteran....

D5062 & D5074 Aberystwyth July 69 Slide 15798

Aberystwyth 1969, she was 64B 1966 - 68

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 13

• 1 month later...

I realise there is a lockdown in effect and far more important things at stake than railway models, but is there any news on future batches of SLW 24’s ?........ keenly awaiting the arrival of a two tone Green Highland version with twin headlights.

thanks

• RMweb Gold

I just got a newsletter from SLW.

D5082 in green has now sold out but they have just taken delivery of D5083  (Cat No. 2408A) in the same livery which is now in stock and available for sale.

Also limited stock of 97201 left. I am lucky to have one of these :)

• Like 2