Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

Here is the relevant part of the email from SLW this week. Photo taken from their email. There is a link to a full size image.

The Two Ronnies'

It has been surprisingly busy for us throughout the lockdown and in the last few days we have sold out of D5082 (the most common BR standard green model). In view of our commitment to try and keep popular livery variants in stock at all times, we saw this coming and are pleased to report we have just received a fresh consignment of identical D5083  (Cat No. 2408A) from our factory in the Far East. This will continue to be offered with our complimentary photo-etched stainless steel ‘CONDOR’ nameplates. 

This machine actually worked the inaugural ‘Down’ service of the expanded container service. The new release gives you the opportunity of running trains in both directions or even double-heading (as British Railways did when the loadings were particularly heavy). Anyone would have thought we had planned it this way…

A high resolution image is available here:  https://flic.kr/p/2iYR7dL

This model is now available to purchase for all, so please contact us, or go online, to order. We are aiming to begin physically despatching D5083 from next week but please be aware that delivery may take a little longer than normal to process at the moment. 

CCE41EB7-660C-4C5B-BB39-CBDF96A10E04.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Decided to bite the bullet and put in an order for Experiment a few days ago, got order confirmation email but so far nothing on the card statement.

Should I worry yet?

21 hours ago, Kaput said:

Decided to bite the bullet and put in an order for Experiment a few days ago, got order confirmation email but so far nothing on the card statement.

Should I worry yet?

Only staff of 2 and one of those will be manning the phone, so just have to be patient the wait will be worth it,

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Martin_R said:

Tasty!D5021.jpg.4e88915f80c31e2115671db7efcb2b38.jpg

I like that a lot. Not my era at all, but I am finding it hard to resist.

Must get round to selling the Ultracsale P4 wheels I keep meaning to ebay to fund it!

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Stupid question time, when I enable F26 (for controller handle to full power) it seems like its also enabling F21 and shunt mode.

Have made no changes to function mapping (partly cause I'm still figuring out how Zimo function mapping actually translates in DecoderPro).

Controller is a Prodigy Express (which probably doesn't help the confusion since the screen doesn't show status of F keys above 13).

Something got messed up in the decoder or is it a quirk of the Prodigy?

In the SLW Class 24 sound project there is no connection between Shunt Mode (F Key 21) which are functions affecting speed, CV155, and reduction of (CV3) inertia and (CV4) momentum , CV156, and the power lever positions at F keys 23 - 26 which are 'sound only' features.

What is it about the performance which gives you the impression that F21 is engaged by engaging F26?

If you can read CVs 155 and 156 you should find that they each have the value 21. If not, please confirm the actual values you read.

Best regards,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

When I enable F26 the loco slows down quite rapidly like the driver just jumped on the brakes.

CV155 and 156 reading as 21.

Doesn't seem to happen when connected to the PC via Sprog so it's looking very much like my Prodigy is up to something.

Edit: Cleared the memory on the Prodigy and rebooted it - seems to be working properly now. I'll go crawl into my hole for not trying the obvious thing

Edited by Kaput
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Sometimes, the obvious is only obvious in hindsight, so don't beat yourself up about this.

Your symptoms could have been replicated if, for instance, the value in CV155 had somehow been changed to 26.

My questions were intended to reveal any such inadvertant changes which may have given a clue to a solution. I know that you stated you had not made changes, but, for diagnostic purposes, that's not the same as knowing what was actually on the decoder.

I'm glad that you have resolved the issue and can continue to enjoy your new model.

'Fancy a brew?'

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, pauliebanger said:

Sometimes, the obvious is only obvious in hindsight, so don't beat yourself up about this.

Your symptoms could have been replicated if, for instance, the value in CV155 had somehow been changed to 26.

My questions were intended to reveal any such inadvertant changes which may have given a clue to a solution. I know that you stated you had not made changes, but, for diagnostic purposes, that's not the same as knowing what was actually on the decoder.

I'm glad that you have resolved the issue and can continue to enjoy your new model.

'Fancy a brew?'

Best regards,

Paul

What a really nicely worded answer.

Pete T.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/05/2020 at 19:04, Martin_R said:

Tasty!D5021.jpg.4e88915f80c31e2115671db7efcb2b38.jpg

Ordered D5021, Monday, looking forward to number 5 SLW class 24, all orders for the above  to be sent at same time around 15 June also update in the offing for the Scottish 24/1 soon as well

Edited by brittannia
check listing
  • Like 2

Congratulations Paul, I also have the 24009 and I like it very much indeed.
Apart from the 24009 I have the Br Blue 24035 DCC Sound from Bachmann which is still a nice loco.
The underframes of the 24's are very different and also the colour which is plain black with 24035 and some anthracite grey with the 24009.

24009 24035 02.jpg

24009 24035 03.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...