Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

Well I’ve just received class 24 no 5099 and I have to say it’s wonderful!

I’m very impressed both with the level of detail, the sounds and the running. 
One tiny thing I wish they’d left the head code discs off as I’m worried about coursing damage to the paint work when I change them.

B9A89329-F60D-446A-A229-64EDC4AB2365.jpeg

Edited by David13
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, David13 said:

Well I’ve just received class 24 no 5099 and I have to say it’s wonderful!

I’m very impressed both with the level of detail, the sounds and the running. 
One tiny thing I wish they’d left the head code discs off as I’m worried about coursing damage to the paint work when I change them.

B9A89329-F60D-446A-A229-64EDC4AB2365.jpeg

I’ve changed the discs round on mine without problems, IIRC They are etched with 2 very thin legs slotted into holes. I swapped positions of an open and a closed  and slotted them back into place

I think I used a scalpel blade to gently prize them out

• Like 1

9 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

I’ve changed the discs round on mine without problems, IIRC They are etched with 2 very thin legs slotted into holes. I swapped positions of an open and a closed  and slotted them back into place

I think I used a scalpel blade to gently prize them out

Thanks for that. 
I’ll have a go at the weekend.

18 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

The "prongs"  and holes are quite visible in this pic.

532352288_SLW-Bmann24Comp1-Sm.jpg.a8ff498a8eb02c7364a837ffe272539c.jpg

P

That looks like two different arrangements. One hole on each side of the light on the left-hand model and a single hole above the light on the right. The arrangement on the right-hand model looks as if it would be less obtrusive with the discs in place.

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

That looks like two different arrangements. One hole on each side of the light on the left-hand model and a single hole above the light on the right. The arrangement on the right-hand model looks as if it would be less obtrusive with the discs in place.

The right model looks like a Bachmann model.

The idea with the Sutton loco's on the left is you would always have a disc on each position and you change them for open/closed versions depending on the headcode you want.

I don't know whether Bachmann supplies open and closed discs so not sure how they look in service, probably injection moulded so far thicker than the etched Suttons discs

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

The right model looks like a Bachmann model.

Correct.

The idea with the Sutton loco's on the left is you would always have a disc on each position and you change them for open/closed versions depending on the headcode you want.

I can understand why SLW have used this arrangement but when viewing yellow ended SLW 24's I find myself looking for the mounting holes and to my mind they become more prominent. If it starts to bug me too much I'll modify the disks to the arrangement below and drill new mounting positions behind the disk, filling the original holes. Hopefully that should make the mounting method a little more discreet whilst retaining the ability to change position.

1804451531_MyHcodeDiskMod.jpg.d1c07c2a85de989776c8876d4116cac1.jpg

I don't know whether Bachmann supplies open and closed discs

They do. As you say injection moulded and good for their day but less refined as compared to etched versions.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
Repair idiotsville typing.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just noticed this on face book.

DECEMBER CATCH UP

We're coming to the end of a busy year here at Sutton's Locomotive Workshop... hasn't it gone quickly! We've powered on through Lockdown 2.0 and are excited for the month ahead as we gear up for the busy Christmas period. There's plenty going on behind the scenes and we will provide you with the promised update on the Highland Class 24/1 project shortly.

With this in mind, we'd like to update you on our stock availability for current items and also give you a heads up on our Christmas deadlines.

We have been maintaining a fairly low profile principally due to new working environments...as I'm sure we all have during these difficult times.

Two further versions of the Class 24 have sold out leaving three liveries still available. Top of the popularity stakes has been D5021 in the early polyurethane blue and we are almost down to single figures. D5083 in standard BR green (with Condor headboard) and corporate TOPS blue 24009 are still in good supply (at the moment!)

If you want to purchase a model in time for Christmas then please ensure that your orders are placed by Thursday 17th December at the latest. You can do this on our webshop or by calling 01780 470086. Any orders made after this date may not be processed until the new year.

Stay safe and we look forward to hearing from you!

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

so my grandad let me borrow his condor version to have a look at with the words "i know you don't like Sulzer but don't mind 24's have fun" and passed me a cardboard box, that evening i could do nothing but look at this model and I hate green haha.

anyway reading about its functions i realise i cant use in full use because I have dynamis, now i have admitted i now need to get one and will eventually be getting the sound chip at a later date but first to run it on dcc before that time what chip will i need to install and second i was looking at upgrading my controller anyway but now I'm looking at been able to use all functions so what is available, would the guagemaster prodigy work? I'm a little "dumb" when it comes to dcc so need it in basic form haha

hope i can get some help cheers :)

You will need a Plux22 decoder. I would recommend ZIMO for finest control.

Although other brands will fit,  the model was developed for ZIMO decoders and in conjuction with the ZIMO factory in Austria. Sound or non-sound ZIMO Plux22 decoders are offered by SLW pre-fitted with all CVs adjusted for optimal performance and full use of all current and any future features.

No need to even open the model, just pop it on the track and start operating.

The official SLW Class 24 sound project was developed using an NCE PowerCab for all operational testing, so you can be sure that these will operate your model and sound project in exactly the way their creators intended.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 2

Just now, pauliebanger said:

You will need a Plux22 decoder. I would recommend ZIMO for finest control.

Although other brands will fit,  the model was developed for ZIMO decoders and in conjuction with the ZIMO factory in Austria. Sound or non-sound ZIMO Plux22 decoders are offered by SLW pre-fitted with all CVs adjusted for optimal performance and full use of all current and any future features.

No need to even open the model, just pop it on the track and start operating.

The official SLW Class 24 sound project was developed using an NCE PowerCab for all operational testing, so you can be sure that these will operate your model and sound project in exactly the way their creators intended.

Best regards,

Paul

thanks that's a massive help, just out of interest the NCE looks a lot like the prodigy and the prodigy is what i had been looking at before the 24 came along, is it the same or just in looks, and would the prodigy be able to handle the 24?

Glad to help.

In case you hadn't worked it out, I created the original custom sound project for the SLW Class 24 and all the updates since.

PowerCab v Prodigy.

This is a slippery slope to tackle, but here goes

The outward similarity of the two systems goes no further than that, operationally.

Both will operate the SLW Class 24, but each in their own way. 

Having operated sound equipped models at exhibitions for long durations using each of these systems, I find the PowerCab to be the more intuitive of the two and capable of displaying more of the important info you need during ops. This is important if you need to make changes in a hurry.

The control wheel on the Prodigy is, for me, oddly placed and requires both hands to hold the cab and operate the knob. The jog wheel and optional up/down buttons on the PowerCab fall just right for me to operate with one hand.

I also find the number of button presses required on the Gaugemaster when programming to be unnecessarily high and the menu structure cumbersome by comparison.

Those are some of the reasons why I would always pick the PowerCab over the Prodigy, but it's your money and you will find many contented users of the Gaugemaster.

It may be difficult to achieve with current restrictions, but it's really worth actually trying each of them out to see which feels best for you.

Either system will do what's needed, so you'll probably be happy with either of them.

Best regards,

Paul

• Agree 1

Just now, pauliebanger said:

Glad to help.

In case you hadn't worked it out, I created the original custom sound project for the SLW Class 24 and all the updates since.

PowerCab v Prodigy.

This is a slippery slope to tackle, but here goes

The outward similarity of the two systems goes no further than that, operationally.

Both will operate the SLW Class 24, but each in their own way. 

Having operated sound equipped models at exhibitions for long durations using each of these systems, I find the PowerCab to be the more intuitive of the two and capable of displaying more of the important info you need during ops. This is important if you need to make changes in a hurry.

The control wheel on the Prodigy is, for me, oddly placed and requires both hands to hold the cab and operate the knob. The jog wheel and optional up/down buttons on the PowerCab fall just right for me to operate with one hand.

I also find the number of button presses required on the Gaugemaster when programming to be unnecessarily high and the menu structure cumbersome by comparison.

Those are some of the reasons why I would always pick the PowerCab over the Prodigy, but it's your money and you will find many contented users of the Gaugemaster.

It may be difficult to achieve with current restrictions, but it's really worth actually trying each of them out to see which feels best for you.

Either system will do what's needed, so you'll probably be happy with either of them.

Best regards,

Paul

hi paul, i hadn't realised you where the man so that is a great tick to you're view on controller :)

gunna watch some videos on the nce and see what i think many thanks for the advice you have passed on.

cheers liam

so iv held off and held off but no my bank has taken a battering may have accidentally got 4 scotrail blue and grey mk1s, so the only polite thing i could do is not ask for a refund on said coaches but just accidentally get the sound blue tops number to compliment.

does anyone else have the same issues haha

• RMweb Premium

Is there any chance of a re-run of the early plain green version? Having blown my stash on a sound D5000, I missed out the first time around. 

Edited by Downer

1 hour ago, Downer said:

Is there any chance of a re-run of the early plain green version? Having blown my stash on a sound D5000, I missed out the first time around. 

someone may be able to correct me but im sure i read somewhere on here (two days to read all 93 pages) that they where doing the versions they haven't done before any reruns? i would be up for D5061 as is now.

well after a angry wake up by the bin men this morning ten minutes later a knock on the door suddenly my eyes widen and shoot to the door to find a parcel on my door step.

well i must say impressed and cant wait to give it a work out :)

p.s please ignore the legs id only just crawled out my pit

136663739_218007856587361_5405233511968311006_n.jpg

136672781_218007899920690_3818242778739750604_n.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lwnameplates said:

well after a angry wake up by the bin men this morning ten minutes later a knock on the door suddenly my eyes widen and shoot to the door to find a parcel on my door step.

well i must say impressed and cant wait to give it a work out :)

p.s please ignore the legs id only just crawled out my pit

136663739_218007856587361_5405233511968311006_n.jpg

136672781_218007899920690_3818242778739750604_n.jpg

I guarantee you won't regret your purchase :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Davidjsmith said:

I really want some news on the Scottish 24/1 ‘s I know it’s best just to wait in this disrupted world .I am just so looking forward to this model.New 25 after that I hope!The models are so good!

I want to hear some news too but to be honest I'm hoping they won't arrive for another couple of months at least as I currently just don't have the money and I want at least 2 

2 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

I want to hear some news too but to be honest I'm hoping they won't arrive for another couple of months at least as I currently just don't have the money and I want at least 2 

i know that feeling iv got two tpe 68s to pay for when they get here haha.

i got the blue and greay scotrail coaches just for the 24 and 24/1 when available although if they move to 25s ect I'm going to be bankrupt.

1 hour ago, lwnameplates said:

i know that feeling iv got two tpe 68s to pay for when they get here haha.

i got the blue and greay scotrail coaches just for the 24 and 24/1 when available although if they move to 25s ect I'm going to be bankrupt.

As far as I know the Scotrail branding wouldn't have been applied to coaches when 24's were hauling them although if anyone can prove otherwise then it would be helpful as I have plenty of MK1's with the Scotrail branding which I would probably have to get rid of for my rakes to be prototypical

If they move onto doing an early series 25/0 I would be happy as a pig in muck especially if they happened to be some Scottish numbered ones

5 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

As far as I know the Scotrail branding wouldn't have been applied to coaches when 24's were hauling them although if anyone can prove otherwise then it would be helpful as I have plenty of MK1's with the Scotrail branding which I would probably have to get rid of for my rakes to be prototypical

If they move onto doing an early series 25/0 I would be happy as a pig in muck especially if they happened to be some Scottish numbered ones

as much as i like to try and be prototypical, i got em just because they used to operate up there, if they actually did or not i don't know just more gave me a reason for more stock for the layout.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lwnameplates said:

as much as i like to try and be prototypical, i got em just because they used to operate up there, if they actually did or not i don't know just more gave me a reason for more stock for the layout.

Nothing wrong with that bud but I will be trying to be as prototypical as possible :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Nothing wrong with that bud but I will be trying to be as prototypical as possible :D

tbh I took a ten year break and only started again last year so only have a drs 68, blue western and a 24 stock wise a rake of horny Pullmans (train set ones 6 in total) 4 scot rail b+g and a rhtt set so iv got to build up, with accurascale bringing Scottish tractors I'm sure the mk1s will fit somewhere.

Edited by lwnameplates
  • Like 1