Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

3 minutes ago, lwnameplates said:

tbh I took a ten year break and only started again last year so only have a drs 68, blue western and a 24 stock wise a rake of horny Pullmans (train set ones 6 in total) 4 scot rail b+g and a rhtt set so iv got to build up, with accurascale bringing Scottish tractors I'm sure the mk1s will fit somewhere.

I only got into model railways a couple of years or so ago , have had no interest in the real railway since the early 90's , I'm modelling a period I never knew as I was too young so I've had to do a lot of research , all I've done until recently is collect loco's and stock , I've changed my mind god knows how many times and ended up selling/exchanging stuff , Over Christmas I managed to get my baseboards done and have almost finished laying the track on the scenic section , hopefully that will be finished this week :) , I'm not saying that it will be 100% prototypical as the train services etc won't be but I'm trying to make sure all my loco's were allocated to Scottish depots during the period I'm modelling and the stock will hopefully be period correct too

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Davidjsmith said:

I really want some news on the Scottish 24/1 ‘s I know it’s best just to wait in this disrupted world .I am just so looking forward to this model.New 25 after that I hope!The models are so good!

The Xmas email from SLW said there would be an update on the 24/1 within a couple of weeks, so maybe well hear something next week. I suspect we'll have to wait a bit longer yet though....

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

I only got into model railways a couple of years or so ago , have had no interest in the real railway since the early 90's , I'm modelling a period I never knew as I was too young so I've had to do a lot of research , all I've done until recently is collect loco's and stock , I've changed my mind god knows how many times and ended up selling/exchanging stuff , Over Christmas I managed to get my baseboards done and have almost finished laying the track on the scenic section , hopefully that will be finished this week :) , I'm not saying that it will be 100% prototypical as the train services etc won't be but I'm trying to make sure all my loco's were allocated to Scottish depots during the period I'm modelling and the stock will hopefully be period correct too

yeh im aiming for a 1980s themed ECML sort of thing but run what i want when i want like you trying to keep as prototypical as possible loco and stock wise.

im only collecting 68s for the fact they sparked my interest back up, also been only 27 i wasn't even born in the 80s so i get the research part.

so yesterday i didn't really get a chance to use this properly, So this evening iv bodged a old Hornby controller to my display track and set the rolling road up an well.

i can't say anything that hasn't already but for those who want to not trawl through nearly 100 pages a quick recap haha.

these are the dogs gonad's, the level of detail is incredible, the fact its on dc at the moment, chirping that Sulzer strum was a really nice touch i already knew this would happen but i am greatly impressed none the less.

one thing i did notice when waiting for this was the debate about grills well i must say i am nicely surprised how good they are, i feel photos on here just are not great and depending on light and the angle you look from how its look changes very much like i remember on the real thing.

im looking and looking trying to find something to slate it with a "how could they drop a clanger like that" i just cant find one, although the lamp brackets above that tail light are a little let down but not something i would say is a major major issue especially when if you're that bothered can be sorted at the price of a stamp.

all in all well when is the 24/1 due because i want it so badly.

136675097_1880518365444391_7147476584372008154_n.jpg

• Like 2

The Scottish version will soon be available courtesy of Rail and Sutton's. Great news.

I hope it sells well.

Unfortunately for me, the green version is just a little bit later than my timeframe.

I wonder if there would be a market for a green version before the headlights were fitted.

That is, a model with the tablet catcher/recess and side valances.

Any comments?

Pete M.

On 08/01/2021 at 16:59, lwnameplates said:

the fact its on dc at the moment, chirping that Sulzer strum was a really nice touch i already knew this would happen but i am greatly impressed none the less.

Out of interest (as a non DCC modeller) does it go through the whole engine start up each time you apply power? Horns sound? Presumably the sound dies instantly once power is turned off? 

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Depending on my level of control, mine does start up properly (but only engine sounds) Horns don't work but there are random sounds like AWS alarm/bell. 

You can stop the engine moving and change direction without the sounds stopping, again with fine control of the controller

Thanks for that, most informative.

Martyn.

28 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks for that, most informative.

Martyn.

hi. if you have quick enough mine stays running changing direction if I'm quick doing it.

it's all about getting it all just right all i did was set it up and have a play, the way it is made if you leave some power on in the track the sounds and lights run but doesn't move, also i have found that mine doesn't start every time i move once its started once the sound goes off but it just starts moving with the engine running straight away, when i wake up properly ill do a little video explaining it if its helpful?

Edited by lwnameplates
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, lwnameplates said:

hi. if you have quick enough mine stays running changing direction if I'm quick doing it.

it's all about getting it all just right all i did was set it up and have a play, the way it is made if you leave some power on in the track the sounds and lights run but doesn't move, also i have found that mine doesn't start every time i move once its started once the sound goes off but it just starts moving with the engine running straight away, when i wake up properly ill do a little video explaining it if its helpful?

If you have time that would be great, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would find it helpful.

Martyn.

3 hours ago, pauliebanger said:

Have a look at this thread, it will help you to understand how sound will operate on DC analogue.

From an operator's point of view, the way the control knob/voltage regulator is operated is the key to getting it working satisfactorily.

Best regards,

Paul

Thanks Paul, that is very enlightening. Particularly the video of the Hornby Ruston with sound and stay alive running on DC power!

Many thanks,

Martyn.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Think they have had them longer than that , got both mine during the first lockdown

Ok, fine. You know better than me. Was just trying to let people know that the 'new' version was available as it was formally announced today.  Wasn' t trying to start a debate on who knew when or who had 'two' first!. Regards.

• Like 2

The latest update from SLW includes this:

‘Highland’ project update next in line

For those that have been asking about the 'Highland' Class 24/1 project, we are acutely aware we haven't yet issued the promised progress report. The update is currently being finalised and will, next month, include the very latest news of progress made by our engineers. It’ll be worth the wait!

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, pauliebanger said:

The latest update from SLW includes this:

‘Highland’ project update next in line

For those that have been asking about the 'Highland' Class 24/1 project, we are acutely aware we haven't yet issued the promised progress report. The update is currently being finalised and will, next month, include the very latest news of progress made by our engineers. It’ll be worth the wait!

Best regards,

Paul

Cheers Paul , I'm not too disheartened by the delay tbh as it's giving me extra time to get the pennies together  

• Agree 1

On 20/01/2021 at 11:29, WhiteRoseRambler said:

Sutton's have today announced additional examples of the Glasgow Works plated-front version but in un-numbered form (Cat No. 2409U).

Just had a look on the SLW website, nice move doing an un-numbered variant. This one comes with the high level brake pipe kit too, so it can represent the relevant ex Tyneside locos. I take it that it is identical otherwise to the 5099 version (which has now sold out), ie plated front doors with central headcode discs? I need to do some more research on possible identities.

27 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Just had a look on the SLW website, nice move doing an un-numbered variant. This one comes with the high level brake pipe kit too, so it can represent the relevant ex Tyneside locos. I take it that it is identical otherwise to the 5099 version (which has now sold out), ie plated front doors with central headcode discs? I need to do some more research on possible identities.

Check out this website - https://www.derbysulzers.com/ 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks, it is a regular "go to" for projects, and will look again for this. Just wanted to be sure the model was otherwise identical to the 5099 version?

Ah, sorry. It is identical, yes. For a 'Tyne Dock' loco it would need the underbody tanks modified slightly. Also of note, the unnumbered version does not have a TOPS data panel either.

• Informative/Useful 1