Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

On 10/01/2021 at 14:25, petemster said:

The Scottish version will soon be available courtesy of Rail and Sutton's. Great news.

I hope it sells well.

Unfortunately for me, the green version is just a little bit later than my timeframe.

I wonder if there would be a market for a green version before the headlights were fitted.

That is, a model with the tablet catcher/recess and side valances.

Any comments?

Pete M.

I would buy one of these 24s, but only an all green (no yellow panel) version.  Tablet catcher is a nice idea.

It's not currently planned.

On 27/01/2021 at 09:13, WhiteRoseRambler said:

Ah, sorry. It is identical, yes. For a 'Tyne Dock' loco it would need the underbody tanks modified slightly. Also of note, the unnumbered version does not have a TOPS data panel either.

I have bitten the bullet and rang SLW to order the un-numbered "Glasgow modified" blue FYE version. I am told a list of suitable candidates is included with the model which should help narrow things down a bit. It will take a week or so to arrive due to limited access to the warehouse but I'm not in a hurry.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

I have bitten the bullet and rang SLW to order the un-numbered "Glasgow modified" blue FYE version. I am told a list of suitable candidates is included with the model which should help narrow things down a bit. It will take a week or so to arrive due to limited access to the warehouse but I'm not in a hurry.

Yep I’m right behind you.

Although it says P4 wheels not currently available, so I’ll get in touch and see what’s happening on those first.

Emptied the whiskey bottle especially...

• Funny 1

8 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

Yep I’m right behind you.

Although it says P4 wheels not currently available, so I’ll get in touch and see what’s happening on those first.

Emptied the whiskey bottle especially...

One of those large whisky bottles presumably? :mocking_mini:

I had dithered for so long over the model of 5099 in blue that they sold out (I rarely buy new locos these days you see, let alone something of this pedigree, hence the dithering).

But I know it will be money well spent!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

One of those large whisky bottles presumably? :mocking_mini:

I had dithered for so long over the model of 5099 in blue that they sold out (I rarely buy new locos these days you see, let alone something of this pedigree, hence the dithering).

But I know it will be money well spent!

Yes one of those very large ones - had it since the early nineties - unfortunately broken now. Quite a job getting all the money to Tesco’s for their change machine - it so heavy!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Indomitable026 said:

Yes one of those very large ones - had it since the early nineties - unfortunately broken now. Quite a job getting all the money to Tesco’s for their change machine - it so heavy!

Was it a case of "In an emergency, smash bottle"?

Well I know the loco will look (and, no doubt, sound) right at home on your slice of Inverness!

• Funny 1

For those interested in the Tyne Dock loco's, D5104 had Derby style sealed doors with offset discs. However apart from the obvious removal of the water tank and additional pipe work I can't see anything else different. For a "prototype for everything" move D5111 went to Illford for tyre turning 14th Aug 73, returning north on the 24th of Sept.

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p110641704

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After a call from SLW a few days ago confirming it was about to be posted, my un-numbered loco arrived today, well worth the wait and simply superb as expected, complete with a helpful list of possible candidates too.20210218_222934.jpg.73ccdcdf683bce71beacc5099a55268f.jpg

20210218_223143.jpg.595847e123e001c649c9fd7fbb8915b1.jpg

20210218_222913.jpg.5e4b377a655688bcb00821d946c84605.jpg

It hasn't been run yet, but very, very happy so far!

• Like 10

I recently converted a Bachmann 24/1 to a class 25/0, this left me with a spare short water tank. A few weeks later an SLW 24081 popped up on Ebay so I snapped it up,  the idea is to  add the water tank to 081. The tank needs two mods, one is the underframe mounting point, there is a gap when the tank is offered up. This is easily  sorted by gluing a strip of plastic card across the tank matching the width of the underframe mounting point. The other mod involves the filler recess, it 's wider here than the matching SLW fuel tank filler recess, not difficult to cut down and modify with plasticard. The beauty is all the cutting up is on the spare water tank, so the only mod on the SLW is a renumber. I've gone for 24054 just before withdrawl as it has the same sandboxes as 081 and a full set of watertank and fuel gauges, so matches the spare watertank. I'll post picture of the progress soon, it's project 100 and I'm upto number 3 on the work bench!

• Informative/Useful 1

On 07/02/2021 at 14:21, w124bob said:

However apart from the obvious removal of the water tank and additional pipe work I can't see anything else different.

It depends on how 'anal' you want to get... :)

The SLW 24 has the following panel on the roof that has an open slit below it.

IMG_2587.jpeg.4c110ad38671ef67130a0bfcf655883d.jpeg

On the Tyne Dock 24s, the slit at the bottom was there but there is no sign of the panel as on the model as per the Bill Jamieson photo below.   The panel appears to have been removed and the roof is completely flush.

BJimg423.jpg.50003c4730d88bba6dc07caccce6a2b7.jpg

I'll be honest, I didn't bother to modify this on my two green Tyne Dockers.

My two un-numbered 24s arrived yesterday and I have to agree that SLW have, one again, raised the bar in terms of detail, the new locos have taken it to another level...

IMG_2579.jpeg.ec9f0ea5780d0741bd4ea46b4bc54534.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

Finally bit the bullet and preordered a 24/1. Was told that they should be out at the back end of the year (hopefully Sept/Oct) but I’m in no rush. Will also look at a 25 in due course 

Well, there's gonna be a bit of 'monkey see, monkey do' now, you know that... :lol:

Davy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can I ask (quietly) what the S/H market is like for these models. I have a green version with DCC sound and stay alive  which is surplus to current requirements....don't worry I have many others.....and I have a 25 on order...

3 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Can I ask (quietly) what the S/H market is like for these models. I have a green version with DCC sound and stay alive  which is surplus to current requirements....don't worry I have many others.....and I have a 25 on order...

I sold my class 24 and it went for £10 more than I paid for it new.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

May I ask where you sold it Rob? Was it ebay?

Hi Chris, yes it was, it was a few years ago,just after I sold Peafore Yard so 2017. The model was 24081, I had weathered it but it was otherwise standard.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, 37114 said:

Hi Chris, yes it was, it was a few years ago,just after I sold Peafore Yard so 2017. The model was 24081, I had weathered it but it was otherwise standard.

Thanks Rob

Mine is pristine so hopefully I'll get a significant contribution to my 25 purchase!

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Thanks Rob

Mine is pristine so hopefully I'll get a significant contribution to my 25 purchase!

Don't forget, due to your golden halo, you can offer it for sale on here.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

The second hand market for these is very strong.

Edited by Nick G
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

I told the boss it would come in useful eventually......cheers Andy....can't say I'm a fan of *b**...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Thanks again Andy - I have placed it in the Classifieds - its 00 scale DCC and sound - plus stay alive - BR two-tone green livery.
Cat No. 2407 Running number D5040

Chris

• Like 1

After waiting and waiting I finally got round to ordering my first Suttons Class 24 on Friday, 2408A BR D5083 in BR green with 'Condor' headboard. Heather advised me there are only a few of this version left.

Was tempted and folded to pre ordering a Class 25 as well

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1