Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

Highly unusual request chaps but ive posted a WANTED add on the site. A long shot but if anyone is selling a class 24 'experimental' or similar TOPS numbered loco (preferably BR blue), then please let me know via PM. Alternatively if anyone knows where there is one for sale id be very gratefull They are lovely locos and id like to purchase one if possible. 

Thanks guys.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Krieghoff said:

Highly unusual request chaps but ive posted a WANTED add on the site. A long shot but if anyone is selling a class 24 'experimental' or similar TOPS numbered loco (preferably BR blue), then please let me know via PM. Alternatively if anyone knows where there is one for sale id be very gratefull They are lovely locos and id like to purchase one if possible. 

Thanks guys.

I have a green one in the classified section - not blue sadly....it will be off to ebay later today I think

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A blast from the past, the first and my first SLW Class 24, just found this on my camera's memory card.  24081 and a couple of Consett iron ore wagons on my old layout which is now, as it happens, owned by Phil Sutton...

DSC01732.JPG.e30f2001cb82014601613b2755ed85f1.JPG

Edited by johndon
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, johndon said:

A blast from the past, the first and my first SLW Class 24, just found this on my camera's memory card:

DSC01732.JPG.e30f2001cb82014601613b2755ed85f1.JPG

I picked this particular one up recently myself , it had been poorly treated by it's previous owner and had several missing and damaged parts , nothing that a call to Phil @ Suttons couldn't sort , it's currently sat awaiting my attention and will be modified/renumbered as 24104 when I get around to it , I also have 2 of the un-numbered ones which one will become 24113 and I haven't decided on the identity of the other yet 

• RMweb Gold

As coincidence would have it, I was running (playing with) 24081 last night.

I only just learnt that you can use F2 to apply the brakes, via the control knob, to stop it precisely where you want!

(..but don't forget to release the brakes before you try to move off though.)

Can't wait for the 25s now.

Kev.

Edit - It's F2 you daft sod!

Edited by SHMD
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Having ordered a set of iron ore wagons from KR, I’ve splashed out on a sound fitted SLW 24 to pull them.  I’m particularly impressed with the sound. The brake button is excellent too. The downside is that the function buttons are different to the rest of my locos that have Legoman sounds.

I like that it came un-numbered as that saves me having to remove the numbers, just got to decide what its number will be - not too much choice as only a few had the extra pipes for the iron ore wagons.  Might go for the last one to be withdrawn.

28 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Having ordered a set of iron ore wagons from KR, I’ve splashed out on a sound fitted SLW 24 to pull them.  I’m particularly impressed with the sound. The brake button is excellent too. The downside is that the function buttons are different to the rest of my locos that have Legoman sounds.

I like that it came un-numbered as that saves me having to remove the numbers, just got to decide what its number will be - not too much choice as only a few had the extra pipes for the iron ore wagons.  Might go for the last one to be withdrawn.

24109 & 24103 handled the last Class 24 hauled iron ore train from Tyne Dock to Consett.

• Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, ColinK said:

The downside is that the function buttons are different to the rest of my locos that have Legoman sounds.

Hi Colin,

But on the other hand, all 29 Function Keys have either a function or a sound (or both) assigned to them, no gaps as happens with other projects. LOL.

Best regards,

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, ColinK said:

Its fairly simple to move sounds, lights, and other features, in a Zimo decoder, so they're on different function keys.  Thus you can have things lining up with the rest of your locos.    "Zimo Input Mapping" is one place to start. 

- Nigel

• Thanks 1

On 17/03/2021 at 12:16, Nigelcliffe said:

Its fairly simple to move sounds, lights, and other features, in a Zimo decoder, so they're on different function keys.  Thus you can have things lining up with the rest of your locos.    "Zimo Input Mapping" is one place to start. 

- Nigel

Even easier if you use the Z21 app/system. Just physically slide them around the screen according to your preference. I find this particularly useful being able to group all the different horn effects together when there are several, spread over a wide range of function numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just got my unnumbered version as well. Highly delighted with these models. Second to none in my opinion. Well done to Philip and cant thank him enough for all his help and assistance. Very refreshing indeed to have someone bringing to the market excellent detail on diesel loco's. Top job there and credit where its due.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 07/01/2021 at 16:55, lwnameplates said:

tbh I took a ten year break and only started again last year so only have a drs 68, blue western and a 24 stock wise a rake of horny Pullmans (train set ones 6 in total) 4 scot rail b+g and a rhtt set so iv got to build up, with accurascale bringing Scottish tractors I'm sure the mk1s will fit somewhere.

You have to be carefull wih those Horny Pullmans they might take your for a ride!

Yours in Jest Trailrage

• Funny 3

14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

is there somewhere you can ID which 24’s the unnumbered Glasgow front is good for ?

13 hours ago, Davidjsmith said:

https://derbysulzers.com/Pic.html at the bottom of index page contact email I am sure David Hills would point you in the right direction of information!

SLW send a full list with their un-numbered version, they may be able to send you a copy if you contact them?

Martyn.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1