Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

• RMweb Gold

I'm seeing all this froth over Class 25s, I'm still hoping that I might see the Class 24 that I ordered way back in October 2018. I appreciate SLW is a very small company, but I have been waiting a very long time since the Scottish versions with headcodes were announced.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 96701 said:

I'm seeing all this froth over Class 25s, I'm still hoping that I might see the Class 24 that I ordered way back in October 2018. I appreciate SLW is a very small company, but I have been waiting a very long time since the Scottish versions with headcodes were announced.

To be fair, in 2018 didn’t we only express interest or “vote” for it? I think it was confirmed much more recently than that. 

Edit: you are right, confirmed in October 2018.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

8 hours ago, 96701 said:

They will be available towards the end of 2021

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, class26 said:

They will be available towards the end of 2021

A lot of water goes under bridges in 3 years. Does this mean the 25s will turn up in 2024?

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, 96701 said:

A lot of water goes under bridges in 3 years. Does this mean the 25s will turn up in 2024?

Only 2 years 5 months since confirmed (not 3 years) and I think you will not have failed to notice that there has been quite an unprecedented event for the past 15 months or so that has delayed quite a few projects by many manufacturers... SLW have said this impacted them. 

You seem to be rather putting the boot in? I voted for a headcode 24 in April 2017, I don't feel the need to moan about the wait, nor by cynical about the 25. If you are that desperate, buy the Bachmann version?

If you want quality wait a bit more, it will be worthwhile.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Only 2 years 5 months since confirmed (not 3 years) and I think you will not have failed to notice that there has been quite an unprecedented event for the past 15 months or so that has delayed quite a few projects by many manufacturers... SLW have said this impacted them. 

You seem to be rather putting the boot in? I voted for a headcode 24 in April 2017, I don't feel the need to moan about the wait, nor by cynical about the 25. If you are that desperate, buy the Bachmann version?

If you want quality wait a bit more, it will be worthwhile.

Roy

Exactly, and let`s remember how long it Bachmann to release the 24/1`s. It was more like 6 years if my memory serves me right between announcement and being available

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, class26 said:

Exactly, and let`s remember how long it Bachmann to release the 24/1`s. It was more like 6 years if my memory serves me right between announcement and being available

It was first announced as a 25/0 not a 24/1.

Prior to 23/11/2008 Bachmann announced 32-480DS, Class 40, D211 'Mauretania' with indicator discs in BR green (DCC Sound on board). It became available on 07/03/2014 which is at least 5 years and 3 months.   Sorry, I've drifted off topic but it seemed relevant.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hang on chaps, there was no criticism there, merely an observation that having placed an order in Q3 2018 and with delivery slated for Q3 2021, three years is a long time. 

Since I placed the order, I have gone down to a 3 day week for a year and retired.

And thank you Roy for pointing out that there is a pandemic going on, I'd almost forgotten.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 96701 said:

Hang on chaps, there was no criticism there, merely an observation that having placed an order in Q3 2018 and with delivery slated for Q3 2021, three years is a long time. 

Since I placed the order, I have gone down to a 3 day week for a year and retired.

And thank you Roy for pointing out that there is a pandemic going on, I'd almost forgotten.

To be honest, I have reread your posts and they do read more as criticism than observation, but I can accept that it was not your intent.

I did, however, take care not to post that you did not know there was a pandemic, just that it had to be taken into account.

Roy

Does anyone know where I can get the blue paint which is applied to the model of 24081 (although I Imagine it's the same blue as all the other blue models)?? I have a boiler compartment blanking plate which needs repainting (not something I've tackled before)

Tia

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Does anyone know where I can get the blue paint which is applied to the model of 24081 (although I Imagine it's the same blue as all the other blue models)?? I have a boiler compartment blanking plate which needs repainting (not something I've tackled before)

Tia

Give Phillip Sutton a ring - I am sure he will have some advice.

Roy

1 minute ago, Roy Langridge said:

Give Phillip Sutton a ring - I am sure he will have some advice.

Roy

I've dropped him a message Roy but thought I would ask amongst the collective here too just in case someone had needed to do some paintwork themselves

• Like 1

On 31/03/2021 at 11:51, sulzer71 said:

Does anyone know where I can get the blue paint which is applied to the model of 24081 (although I Imagine it's the same blue as all the other blue models)??

Unless your modelling ex-works does the shade really matter.  :smile_mini2:

https://flic.kr/p/2iNJU5p 

This one is totally the wrong shade.

8098045810_e860d638f3_b.jpg7547 by Dave Jolly, on Flickr

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I am Hoping that Phillip will give us an update on the 24/1’s at Easter in lieu of the York Show?I know end of year seems to be delivery date but pictures would be nice.Two on order but if he surprises with other numbers I may not be able to resist!!

Edited by Davidjsmith
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Davidjsmith said:

I am Hoping that Phillip will give us an update on the 24/1’s at Easter in lieu of the York Show?I know end of year seems to be delivery date but pictures would be nice.Two on order but if he surprises with other numbers I may not be able to resist!!

I also have 2 on order but same here , if he announces new running numbers in pre tops and tops blue I won't be able to resist but if not I'm considering ordering more of the current batch to renumber 

My recent experience with Phil and the rest of SLW, was very positive.

My CL 24 D5000 which I purchased in 2017 developed a fault.

It turned out to be the motor that was the problem.

I contacted SLW and spoke with Phil, they in turn, provided me with a replacement motor, free of charge and postage paid to Australia!

How's that for service?

Peter1

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

I've just received my first class 24, unnumbered version, and very pleased with it. Runs beautifully and sounds superb. Added to my roster on JMRI so easier to access the functions on my phone, making easier to operate and use of the functions. 

Waiting for a set of numbers from Railtec and then will get weathered. 

Great service from Phil and Heather.

Ordered a further 24 and 25 for future delivery. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...