Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

Im sure that Phil will be along in due course with an update. Im sure that there is a lot of activity going on behind the scenes to bring us the models and updates accordingly. 

Ive got one of the new class 24's coming along with one or more class 25's as well. I cant wait either but we have to 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Davidjsmith said:

I wonder when this Highland 24/1 update is going to be?I know they will need all crew on deck to answer all those phone orders!!Just getting impatient even though I shouldn't be really!

I spoke to Phil about a week ago as I’d ordered a 24/1 by phone and hadn’t received a confirmation- it wasn’t a complaint but was just checking details hadn’t been written down wrong. Phil explained the size of the backlog caused by the 25 rush so as said above they are a small outfit and just catching up. When I ordered the 24/1 ‘end of the year’ was mentioned which is fine as I need to save up for the sound upgrade. I took ‘end’ as literally that ie December and not Q4 like some do! probably not a lot to share of worth until it’s ready. 

One of the green 24/0’s that went to Scotland in 67/68 might prove tempting as well to join the 24/1!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As an aside, I’ve just tried re-arranging the headcode discs on my 24009 - very gently tried to ease out the incumbents with a fine scalpel blade but in all cases the discs broke off from their prongs leaving the prongs embedded in the tiny holes (lower left and lower centre in the pic) -  impossible to remove and hence impossible to re-insert new ones barring some other method of fixing on top.  Anyone have any tips?

A9483B0A-A2FF-47BB-A4BC-8B5385258C47.jpeg

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, johndon said:

That's odd, I've changed the disks at both ends of all four of mine and never had a problem.  Could you use some needle nosed pliers to pull the remains out of the holes?

Yeah, I was thinking it was going to be an easy job at first....I've deployed my full squadron of pliers with no success, the prongs are just too darn small.  On balance I probably won't need to change the discs once they're in place so I'm coming round to just attaching the correct ones with a dab of superglue or PVA, just seems a shame to have to go down the 'permanent' route!

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Can you take the body off and poke the remnents out from behind?

Now that may just be a cunning plan - I need to do this anyway to add a crew....watch this space!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I took the body off but sadly the openings do not extend all the way through the cab front (sealed from the back) so no way to push out from the inside.  Am gutted (and a rare 'fail' for SLW) but think it may be possible to fix the folded-over discs on the front with tiny pieces of black-tack.  I wonder why they don't just ship without any discs in place?

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Solo said:

Well I took the body off but sadly the openings do not extend all the way through the cab front (sealed from the back) so no way to push out from the inside.  Am gutted (and a rare 'fail' for SLW) but think it may be possible to fix the folded-over discs on the front with tiny pieces of black-tack.  I wonder why they don't just ship without any discs in place?

Measure diameter of pin; take drill bit of appropriate diameter; drill out pin stubs.

No problem!

CJI.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Measure diameter of pin; take drill bit of appropriate diameter; drill out pin stubs.

No problem!

CJI.

Nooooooooooooo! The drill will find it's easiest path through the plastic rather than removing the remainder of the metal tab, enlarging what is an already overly visible hole.

Disk are retained by tabs not pins.

21 hours ago, Solo said:

Well I took the body off but sadly the openings do not extend all the way through the cab front (sealed from the back) so no way to push out from the inside.

I'd take another look. If the design hasn't been changed recently the  headcode disk mounting holes are all the way through but of a much smaller diameter.

Looks like a shallow countersink (1mm?) could be put in from the inside of the body, then use the shank of a 0.5 / 0.7mm drill bit c to push the remnants of the tab out towards the front.

SLW-Class-24-151-EditSm.jpg.43efa04d1d86ae060ddcfc897470a67e.jpg

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Nooooooooooooo! The drill will find it's easiest path through the plastic rather than removing the remainder of the metal tab, enlarging what is an already overly visible hole.

Disk are retained by tabs not pins.

SLW-Class-24-151-EditSm.jpg.43efa04d1d86ae060ddcfc897470a67e.jpg

Really - not having such a model, I had assumed that the discs would be plastic, retained by press-fit pegs / pins.

I am therefore surprised that the metal tags have broken off - this must have required some force.

CJI.

5 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

For the avoidance of doubt.

SLW-Class-24-152-editSm.jpg.09da27336d27c4bd9fb9958b5dcf66ad.jpg

An SLW headcode disk yesterday.

Notice how much adhesive there is around the tabs.

I certainly didn't doubt your statement - I was just surprised.

CJI.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the input guys - I did have a little go on one of the holes with a 0.3mm drill-bit (handheld) to try and ream out the tab but as mentioned this really only resulted in enlarging the hole and diverting the bit around the completely stuck tab.  As mentioned it is little rectangular tabs and not pins that are attached to these.  So for now have reverted to the idea of tiny bits of black-tack to hold the replacement folded-over discs in place.  The photo is quite cruel but it looks OK from a foot or so away, bit of weathering should also help.  Interestingly all three of the fitted discs that I tried to remove had exactly the same problem.

This and 5021 (which I now probably won’t touch) are my only locos and will shortly debut on a micro-layout I’ve been putting together.  They are otherwise fantastic models so just a bit galling when something annoying like this happens!

B6D385B7-C18F-4E08-875B-B4A8BE683613.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any news or updates yet on the new class 24's. Im sure that Phil is busy with putting together an update amongst all the other work that a one man operation needs to do. Both on the 24 and new 25.

Looking forward to seeing these excellent models in due course.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Latest update from SLW sent out today

Complete sell-out of SLW Class 24s
New runs approved for production
Unforeseen delays affect projects

We are happy to provide you with a Summer update on SLW activities having, at last, found time to put fingers to keyboard in between development work. 

A nice problem to have?

Let’s start with an apology… We’ve failed in our promise to try and keep the ‘staple ingredients’ of green and blue Class 24s always available. A month or two back, we sold out of all our current stock of models, four month ahead of our best expectation!

We continue to express surprise at the number of modellers only now discovering Sutton's Locomotive Workshop and realising what a step-up our specification is compared to what many are accustomed to. You can factor in this increased interest from new customers following the publicity surrounding our Class 25 project.

All this means no less than 17 different version (yes, we had to go away and count) of our Class 24 have sold out and we currently have no locomotives to sell at present! That must count as a win.

More 'Skinhead' Class 24s approved

What’s the solution? Simply put, we are making more models and are pleased to confirm that further ‘skinhead’ Sulzer Type 2 have already been added to our production schedule. This really is no secret, having said as much to anyone who has enquired by telephone or e-mail.

We have been bullish in our quantities but revealing these details sooner than planned will allow us to adjust figures even further upwards for a limited period to avoid disappointment. SLW is not a fan of early ‘reveals’ but it is has become a necessary consequence of our sales success and market forces. 

Livery artwork has been approved and samples awaited. Some detail is revealed below. Full information will appear in newsletters and on our webshop later this summer (ready for advance reservation) so as not to detract too much from the new Class 25. This format will allow us to publicise the new variants individually with the attention each deserves.

The additional Class 24s will be well worth the wait - you will already be accustomed to our scale metal handrails and headcode discs as well as separately-fitted bogie pipe runs and roof panels. You can expect even more stunning refinements as part of our continuous improvement policy. Our ground-breaking twin-speaker DCC sound - widely described as the best there is – will take another step-up, to an even higher level. 

EARLY DOORS: Because of numerous requests, especially from finescale and transition era modellers, early green will be making a comeback. We are doubling-down with both a Derby 'pilot scheme' loco and an early Darlington product with its characteristic polished grilles which will be reproduced using stainless steel photo-etches.

You certainly deserve some ‘tasters’ so you can at least forward-plan any potential purchases. After numerous requests (and ever-lengthening waiting lists) we are repeating some of our most popular colour schemes albeit with subtle variation.

To the delight of many, early plain (lined) green will return, with locos from both the 1959 Derby Pilot Scheme (LMR/SR) and 1960 Darlington build (ER). The everyday BR green with small warning panels is also to be offered in the slightly simplified ‘economy’ colour scheme applied by Derby during the type’s first serious overhauls. This will livery offer will additionally incorporate a pair of Tyne Dock modified locos with all the relevant detail fittings applied ‘out of the box’! 

We have not forgotten BR corporate blue - a late TOPS machine (with Derby re-plated front ends and boiler water tanks) is also included on the list. Additionally, and following repeated calls, BR blue with front doors still in situ will fill one of our few remaining gaps in the range.

We have no ETA yet (see below) but suffice to say most of the hard work has already been completed, so it is not as complex as our other projects.

A not so nice problem to have

All that sounds very positive but, unfortunately, we have to offer up a less jokey apology: We are not alone in now facing issues which are causing delays. The rapid ramping-up of manufacturing after the global lockdown has put a heavy burden on the supply chain and power supplies, even to the extent of factory power cuts. We just wanted to give you the 'heads up' that SLW are caught up in this. 

Our manufacturing set-up is small and heavily queued-up, exacerbating the problem. Inevitably, disruption results in every process taking longer than expected. We are doing our best to mitigate this but will avoid any temptation to cut-corners. Despite this optimism, Class 25 production has fallen behind schedule. This is why money is never taken up front.

Most model production is centred in the same province, so you can expect these to be industry-wide issues. It also comes on top of recent dramatic raw material and transportation price increases, so don’t be surprised if you see slow output and price rises across the board

Quality takes a little longer

From recent discussions, some customers are still under the impression we are a mass-market operation! It is worth re-stating that SLW is focussed on quality and has no interest in becoming a big industry player. Despite being a ‘one man band’, our products are a league above those who don’t share our attitude to fidelity.

We’re all about having fun with the detail and enjoying serious modelling. We don't judge ourselves on sales. With the above issues having come to the fore, it really is a case of good things will come to those who wait! So, thank you - in advance - for your patience and understanding.

In light of this, the Class 24/1 ‘Highland’ progress newsletter will follow in a few weeks with some teaser pictures. The advanced reservation of Class 25s has continued (beyond all estimates) to the extent that a further blazing BR blue option will be added in the next few days. We will give you specific information, along with more model images soon, but keep your eyes peeled at at: www.railexclusive.com 

Edited by Nick G
  • Like 6

Some good news there and some not surprising news on the inevitable delays. I personally saw this coming as many manufacturers were already putting back their delivery dates. 

Im happy to wait and have 5 Class 25's on order and one class 24 on order (with a couple more coming im sure). 

Thanks for the update SLW.

• 2 months later...
On 23/10/2021 at 14:38, SHerr said:

Just scrolling through and remembered these additional announcements, there’s nothing on the Rail Exclusive website, is there any way to order these yet?

I think you just had to phone them up. I thought there was meant to be a new website a while ago, but I haven't checked myself