Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

• RMweb Gold

What are these mythical beings collectors? Which are talked about normal followed by I/we dont mind paying stupid amounts for coat hooks to go up or down doors to open close etc. And be more then happy to pay 100+ a wagon has long as they need never touch it again on the track.

Surely this new class 24 must be a right let down for them. It's not been mentioned that the doors open& close, I bet the windows don't go up and down and dose the fan work.

• RMweb Premium

As with 37114, a general summary of how this loco would work on DC would be welcome. I appreciate it's designed to make the most of DCC , but someone did post there might be some basic sound on DC , also what lights would work.

Please can somebody confirm if these are suitable for use with feedback controllers, I would hate to fry something!

This is an extract directly from the ZIMO small decoder manual:

''ZIMO decoders switch automatically to analog when DC voltage is present and CV #29 is set accordingly

(Bit 2 = 1, which is the default setting).

Operation is possible with various power packs:

– “normal” DC throttles, with poor or no ripple control

smooth power from a power supply unit

PWM throttles such as the Roco analog mouse''.

Decoders do not like high frequency track cleaners such as Relco units, so turn these off or better still disconnect them.

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

As this would appear to be a competely new model from the ground (well rail head) up, and not just (!) a super-dooper Bachmann based one, I think it would be helpful if there was a basic spec that could be perused. It would seem the chassis is a metal block rather than plastic, but apart from that all the attention to date has been on the plastic body - although I for one would like to see what the roof/fan detail is like -  and sound features.

For instance, do you assume that it has the now standard skew wound motor/twin flywheel/twin bogie drive ? Are the wheels steel, or the more common nickel-plated brass, pick-up split-axle or rear wipers? For a loco looking this good performance is going to be just as important for me, and while I doubt it is anything other than top drawer given the standard Zimo fitting (are they standard across the range ?) it would be good to know.

Perhaps this will all be available on the Rail Exclusive website once the locos are available for general sale.

Izzy

Edited by Izzy

If I remember correctly the sound chip is a recording of D5061

No - D5000 (and others in the first 20 built) has 5 top grilles on one side and 4 on the other - known as a 5/4 bodystyle. D5032 and D5061 both have 4/3 bodystyles. Also a number were modified slightly when working on the SR in the early days, which the NYMR pair didn't.

So you are saying the sound is for the wrong class member? :O That is just not on! ;)

This model, and the REE loco mentioned in this post http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105507-Dapol-black-label-range/?p=2108383have upped the spec of my dream RTR PRR H6. When I win the lottery...

... For instance, do you assume that it has the now standard skew wound motor/twin flywheel/twin bogie drive ? Are the wheels steel, or the more common nickel-plated brass, pick-up split-axle or rear wipers? For a loco looking this good performance is going to be just as important for me...

I am waiting in hope for this too. Both a mechanism construction description, ideally with a drawing; and its performance from those who have it running.

Would someone be kind enough to tell me what this is? Is it like a limited edition certificate or just a brief "about us" sort of a thing made in a way to look like some BR form?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_11_2015/post-7968-0-53021800-1448865055.jpg

....where a manufacturer tried to get attention by publicly degrading other brands. In my view I lose trust in a manufacturer who does that. Yes I admit I am biased towards certain brands, but instances like this make me more biased. Uncalled for in my books.[/font][/color]

I remember that the rule of thumb we used to apply, was "only trust the salesman that praises another company's product".

• Like 3

I would love to see one in the flesh but it looks a superb model. I hope we will see some class 25s at some point the class 24 is a bit early for my time period.

Here are a couple of pics I took at Swanage last year. Not only did the loco look great it sounded great and went well on the two trips I had behind it.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-72054900-1449059605_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-20298200-1449059674_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-93062100-1449059743_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Sutton's Locomotive Workshop now has a proven track record and will only grow should have a section in the products and trade area, mods

Erm, I sorry I don't think it has.

To say that a newly introduced loco has a proven track record prior to It being available to the general public is premature and misleading. It appears that the loco has so far only been generally available to a small number of people having attended an invitation only launch.

I have no reason to disbelieve the positive comments this loco has received but all of those comments up to date seem to have come from people that were invited to attend the launch.

Although the purchase price of £160.00 has been mentioned a few times throughout this thread, I am so far not aware of any official price announcement so I am left wondering if those that have commented on the loco bought the loco at recommended retail price or discount. Perhaps you could confirm the expected cost? Also as too remove any hint of bias, perhaps you could tell us what input, if any and for how long you have had into the project.

Having read through Mr Suttons communication I applaud his philosophy and ethos behind the Locos introduction and note his quoted comments about listening too and accepting constructive criticism so wonder why others have taken it upon themselves (particularly in other forums) to disapprove of such constructive comments?

Once the folk that have bought the locomotive independently and I'm sure there will be many, have commented perhaps then will be the time to start talking about "Proven Track Record". (I'm sure you didn't need to pun)

Re your point about three separate threads for different aspects of the model, why not just stick to one thread to discuss the SLW Sulzer two? That way there can be no confusion as to what specific manufacturer, specific DCC/DCC sound system, specific type of loco, specific version of loco, etc., etc. is being addressed.

Finally let me say I just make the above comments/queries in the spirit of being constructive and wish the venture well. I'll have three please.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

Erm, I sorry I don't think it has.

To say that a newly introduced loco has a proven track record prior to It being available to the general public is premature and misleading.

I didn't say a newly introduced loco had a proven track record, I said Rail Exclusives had a proven track record (having been in business now for 5 years).

As for bias I had nothing to do with the class 24, the first I knew of or heard about it was at the weekend. I am sure you will be impressed when you get your hands on one!

• Like 1

I haven't had anything to do with this loco or to do with Rail Exclusive either, except for being a long standing customer. I was invited along too and was expecting to see ViTrains limited edition locos for sale and not a brand new fresh out of the "tin" loco. In this day and age of promise from so many manufacturers, it has made a refreshing change to be told about something new and to be able to see it the same day! No pictures of grey moldings for us to drool over, no 3D scan pictures to pull apart etc., just a new loco to look at and, if you want one, buy one. Hence the call from both Nick (New Holland) and myself for Sutton's Locomotive Works (RE) for their own section under the Products and Trade banner. At least this is one new manufacturer that has actually given us something to discuss and buy, unlike one or two in that section. Tony.

Edited by Tony Walker

This is quite an amazing piece of kit. Just when we thought we were at the ultimate OO gauge locos, boom this arrives.

Now Rail exclusives after Heljans double efforts at wrecking the class 33, could you do the proper job as you have long hoped for ?

Stick my name down for a 33 right away, fully sound fitted please.

I didn't say a newly introduced loco had a proven track record, I said Rail Exclusives had a proven track record (having been in business now for 5 years).

I'm not going to get into a bunfight over this but you made a clear distinction between  Rail Exclusive and Sutton's Locomotive Workshop. Quote " Rail Exclusive - Sutton's Locomotive Workshop". 

I may be wrong but I don't think any Rail Exclusive products have been branded as Sutton Locomotive Workshop indeed reading Mr Suttons release confirms that SLW is a new venture. By implication, the nature of the wording of your statement gives the impression that the new Class 24 has a proven track record by association with Rail Exclusive products.

I wonder if Mr Sutton would be happy with this association bearing in mind his comment, "having commissioned items from every mainstream manufacturer in recent years, the general disinterest in product development and detail enhancements has been readily apparent with the frequent response to requests of sorry, but that just not possible".

I was very careful in replying to your post by being quite specific in making no mention of Rail Exclusive.

As there is no mention of Rail Exclusive on the http://sulzertype2.comsite or any mention of the SLW on the Rail Exclusive web site maybe the title of the thread should be changed to Sutton Locomotive Workshop Class 24?

As for bias I had nothing to do with the class 24, the first I knew of or heard about it was at the weekend.

Thanks for the clarification. Just to be clear I asked the question to remove any doubts.

I am sure you will be impressed when you get your hands on one!

Once the boiler room grill gets sorted... the squared off bottom to the screw link... the over thick roof panels... etc., etc.  Nah only joking. :smile_mini:

P

• RMweb Premium

The model looks very good and is to be welcomed. However, the letter linked by MGR Hooper seems to be rather petulant and arrogant, my advice to the proprietor of this company would be to take a lead from the good grace of Dave Jones in his response to the Hornby Q6.

your statement gives the impression that the new Class 24 has a proven track record by association with Rail Exclusive products.

Here is the packaging the Class 24 comes in................

post-7968-0-79277000-1449090660_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Oh come on. I said, "your statement" not a picture of a box but thanks for reinforcing my point.

P

I'm bored now so my final word, I did NOT say the class 24 had a proven track record I said Rail Exclusives had a proven track record.