Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

Who would have thought that 2 blokes putting their cash where their mouths are and coming up with a high quality model (whether it is perfect or not) could cause so much friction.

This debate is going on over 6 different forums or social media now.

Some people are obviously really enthusiastic about it, some not so. Must we all agree with each other or can we not all accept each others viewpoint?

Perhaps he means that they haven't - YET - got a proven track record producing their OWN stuff, as opposed to arranging specials through existing manufacturers.

Whatever the case may be, I am sure they WILL develop such a record on their road to success (I had to avoid using the t***k word for a pun).

Will you please read what Nick has stated.... ??   Rail Exclusives do have an excellent five-year track-record and yet you have clearly misconstrued this... Who the Donald is talking about the class 24 having a track-record..??    I can't find ANY mention of what you state although it obviously must have had a track-record of some sort/pun intended.    What we are talking about here is a quality young company with a quality track-record with a quality track locomotive.    You want three..???    Order them then...I've ordered one of each.

Cheers....

Who would have thought that 2 blokes putting their cash where their mouths are and coming up with a high quality model (whether it is perfect or not) could cause so much friction.

This debate is going on over 6 different forums or social media now.

Some people are obviously really enthusiastic about it, some not so. Must we all agree with each other or can we not all accept each others viewpoint?

...funny feeling that it will continue until they are available to the masses Derek....then it'll be someone elses turn.

Dave (not employed by SLW and only commenting as a satisfied owner of a D5000)

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

Will you please read what Nick has stated.... ??   Rail Exclusives do have an excellent five-year track-record and yet you have clearly misconstrued this... 

Before I can reply I have to make an assumption that Nick is Holland Park? Is that correct? If not ignore the following.

I did read what Holland Park(Nick?) said very carefully.

I have never at any point stated that Rail Exclusive does not have a Proven Track Record.

The Quote, "as Rail Exclusive - Sutton's Locomotive Workshop now has a proven track record", as made by Holland Park (Nick?) gives me the impression, or to use your term, could be misconstrued" that the SLW class 24 being of the same provenance has a similar Track Record.

I had hoped it was clear that this being a thread specifically about the SLW 24 and that in my initial reply to Holland Parks post; with me making absolutely no reference to Rail Exclusives I was talking about the SLW 24.

Seems like my concerns were possibly justified as it seems you are thinking I was saying Rail Exclusive had no track record when my actual concern was that the SLW 24 had no track record... Yet.

The responder in post #285 seems to have understood my point.

Who the Donald is talking about the class 24 having a track-record..??  

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer(and earlier reply) I gave some hours ago.

I can't find ANY mention of what you state although it obviously must have had a track-record of some sort/pun intended.

If you can provide me with any of my statements/quotes you are having problems with/finding I'll happily provide you with the links.

What we are talking about here is a quality young company with a quality track-record

I have never said anything to the contrary. I have to make the assumption you are a satisfied purchaser of Rail Exclusive commissions otherwise why mention it? Your recommendation is noted.

with a quality track locomotive. 

Now this is the Nitty Gritty. As you are speaking in the singular and to avoid further confusion, I take it you are referring to the SLW 24 and not other RE commissions? As I've said on numerous occasions I'm sure Mr Sutton has produced a quality product and I wish the venture well but to imply it is a quality product based only on reports and photos that the majority of prospective customers have only seen via people that attended an invitation only event is poorly conceived.

You want three..???    Order them then...

Sounds like you're giving me an order there. Or is it another recommendation? I'll make my own mind up, ta but on initial impression yes I'll have three but I'll wait until/if a version that I'm interested in becomes available, I'll wait until the recommended retail price is published, I'll wait until more information and opinions are available and probably most pertinent of all I'll HAVE to wait to place any order with SLW as I'm not an existing customer of Rail Exclusive.

You must have missed this quote also:

"If you are not an existing RAIL EXCLUSIVE model customer and are looking to purchase the Class 24, then these will be released for general sale via details provided on this website in approximately 2-3 weeks time".

I'm glad you feel so passionate about the model you felt compelled to pick up the baton and reply. So how about calling a truce, eh? I'm sure if we were discussing this in the pub as opposed to via an internet forum things would be far more convivial.

I apologise to others for taking up valuable topic time. Perhaps now is the time to let the model do its own talking.

P

Ps. there is now a topic open, discussing possible future liveries for the SLW 24.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105657-suttons-locomotive-works-other-liveries/&do=findComment&comment=2112509

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

Bloke releases new model choo choo - a very nice model choo choo.

Release of said choo choo causes pandemonium, mass hysteria, renewed blood fueds and armegeddon...

WIBBLE!

Can I have some more carrot cake please?

• Like 2

Anyway Mr. York... isn't it about time that "S.L.W" had their OWN space on the main page....or is there a bias for some reason..??    To be honest Andy, there are some reasonable manufacturers on that page as well as some that are possibly not as reasonable, in comparison, and yet a quality producer appears to be placed at the back.    My apologies in advance if I have clearly misconstrued this classification rule... :-)

I'll do it when I feel the time is appropriate thanks and when I have time available to set such up, why make a veiled bias accusation? I honestly don't think the creation of additional livery or sound topics was necessary at such an early stage.

Evangelism just tends to get my back up anyway hence my earlier comment. Some of your comments have been quite rude or unnecessarily combative. If you calm it down and be more reasoned you may get what you're asking for.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Bloke releases new model choo choo - a very nice model choo choo.

Release of said choo choo causes pandemonium, mass hysteria, renewed blood fueds and armegeddon...

WIBBLE!

Can I have some more carrot cake please?

Thank the Lord for persons such as iak. Sometimes some people just take things like this far too seriously. Also thanks Andy for the voice of reason and stability (despite you being in serious trouble by the look of your new pic.)

Innocent of 36E

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

What is everyone arguing over, we all love the model and we all want one (I think) hence why we're reading this thread, if you don't like it and don't want one then don't carry on reading!! Simples.

Think we should all get back to the delights of this new model.

Cheers, Paul

The irony being that it was causing nothing of the sort on here until you yourself mentioned it in post #36.

RMweb has managed to start a fight in one of it's own empty rooms.

• RMweb Gold

What is everyone arguing over, we all love the model and we all want one (I think) hence why we're reading this thread, if you don't like it and don't want one then don't carry on reading!! Simples.

Think we should all get back to the delights of this new model.

Cheers, Paul

And its comes RTR for you broad guage chaps too....!!!!

P

• Like 2

The irony being that it was causing nothing of the sort on here until you yourself mentioned it in post #36.

RMweb has managed to start a fight in one of it's own empty rooms.

Well if that is the way one feels then fine.

I don't think that my post stirred anything up frankly, the storm was coming.

That's the inevitable consequences of the web sadly.

Some of what has happened is all rather unfortunate but hey, it is what it is.

We move on, or at least some do...

• RMweb Gold

The world has moved on greatly in recent years in respect of tooling and manufacturing technologies. But, even so, I find it remarkable that SLW have been able to bring this superb looking model to market at what I think is a very reasonable price. Sets a new bar for the established manufacturers to aspire to.

The world has moved on greatly in recent years in respect of tooling and manufacturing technologies. But, even so, I find it remarkable that SLW have been able to bring this superb looking model to market at what I think is a very reasonable price. Sets a new bar for the established manufacturers to aspire to.

Not really. A one-man band will always be able to bring models to market more cheaply than a larger organisation with lots of staff and overheads. 

• Like 1

Not really. A one-man band will always be able to bring models to market more cheaply than a larger organisation with lots of staff and overheads. 

Agree. They have also taken out the wholesaler/retailer margin by supplying direct.

If this model were produced by one of the usual suspects and supplied through the "normal" channels, I expect it would cost a lot more.

Is there a P4 version in LNWR livery? I can't work it out from their website.

Edited by LNWRmodeller
  • Like 1

So getting back on track so to speak, The DCC sound version has 28 functions can your DCC system cater for this?

Although mine can't at the moment, using the tricks explained earlier in this thread there are plenty of work arounds and next year I will have upgraded :)

• Like 1