Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

According to DerbySulzers, the following non headcode box examples were still active in 1977:

Forgive me if this has been asked earlier in this thread but would any of these be a direct renumber from 24063 as the model is depicted? I would consider getting another example of 63 to complement the version I have if a simple renumber is possible.

Grateful for any advice. Many thanks.

Edited by WhiteRoseRambler

• RMweb Gold

So what to check?

Boiler tanks...sand boxes....nose doors

Those are the issues that immediately come to mind - others may come along with more

Kind regards

Phil

24035 and 24091 are both same spec as 063 in terms of nose doors sand boxes and underframe tanks, though the position of warning flashes on nose ends varies over time, between locos and even from one end of a loco to the other. Both 035 and 091 had them inboard of the tail lights on at least one end also builders plate is in different place compared with 063. Otherwise they're the best candidates. Also check the bodyside footsteps, some locos had them all plated over, others including 035 had the lowest one open and just the top 2 plated over. It may be that this was just on one side, to be honest im not sure. The model has them all plated over on both sides so is incorrect. I've seen at least one picture of 24081 with one step unplated, so possibly the model is incorrect.

023, 036, 047, 057, 073, 082, 087 are all definately out because they have the water tank still fitted to the underframe

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

24035 and 24091 are both same spec as 063 in terms of nose doors sand boxes and underframe tanks, though the position of warning flashes on nose ends varies over time, between locos and even from one end of a loco to the other. Both 035 and 091 had them inboard of the tail lights on at least one end also builders plate is in different place compared with 063. Otherwise they're the best candidates. Also check the bodyside footsteps, some locos had them all plated over, others including 035 had the lowest one open and just the top 2 plated over. It may be that this was just on one side, to be honest im not sure. The model has them all plated over on both sides so is incorrect. I've seen at least one picture of 24081 with one step unplated, so possibly the model is incorrect.

023, 036, 047, 057, 073, 082, 087 are all definately out because they have the water tank still fitted to the underframe

Thanks IKB, that is most useful and very comprehensive. Much obliged for your help.

No problem, I'm toying with the idea of getting a second 24063 to renumber into 091 myself, so I was already looking into the differences. Don't know whether to get 063 again or wait to see what is the next release. Hopefully it will have the water tank fitted underframe, so will be good for all the other late survivors bar 24133.

According to DerbySulzers, the following non headcode box examples were still active in 1977:

Forgive me if this has been asked earlier in this thread but would any of these be a direct renumber from 24063 as the model is depicted? I would consider getting another example of 63 to complement the version I have if a simple renumber is possible.

Grateful for any advice. Many thanks.

Was 24 081 not active as well?

• RMweb Premium

Has anybody else seen on ebay that there's a SLW 24 ( D5098) for sale. As Charlton Heston said about his gun & taking it from his cold dead hand. The same applies to my SLW 24.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322383968770?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

The hillbilly farmer said much the same to the bug in MIB, different result.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

No, in fairness i'm busy enjoying the 2 i already have, i could just enjoy 3 of them 50% more!

I am jealous you've got two I am still saving up for the second by which time they will have sold out lol. Even asked Jamie to get on her hands and knees to find me one under her workbench but to no avail :)

Edited by Shroomy

• RMweb Gold

I am jealous you've got two I am still saving up for the second by which time they will have sold out lol. Even asked Jamie to get on his hands and knees to find me one under his workbench but to no avail :)

You would be better off asking her to look under her workbench.

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I agree, but there are still a few variants of the skinhead version missing.....

D5018 with the extra grille on one side only.

Any of the two tone green ones, a ER small yellow panel loco they had the thin green line between the yellow and the lining band at the bottom, an all green production locomotive (so far the all green ones have been pilot locos) and a Derby repaint with the square top small yella.

I am not asking too much am I?