Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

In the spirit of fox news pundits covering popular votes, I'm going to call this one early. RTC experiment will win by a good 15% and be the first into production.

It will then declare war on a small South East Asian country and start its own Twitter account.

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

• RMweb Gold

Maybe, but 97201 is probably more unusual.

D5054 at Bury was painted Blue with half yellow ends for a period many years ago.

Whilst 97201 is more unusual, it covers a later time period and was more widely travelled. Helps people justify it without invoking rule 1.

Roy

Ordered one of these at York and it arrived yesterday with sound and super cap.

Loco is superb and highly detailed.

Superb slow-speed running - matches my Lenz-silver fitted 08 for doing less than 1mm/sec crawl speed.

Top speed is a tad over scale (works out to be around 110 mph instead of ~75 mph) and the sound from the two speakers was rather too loud (easily adjusted with setting CV266=40)

Apart from those two minor - and I do mean minor - issues, I'm very happy.

Would like a headcode equipped Class 24 or a super detailed Class 25 (voted for 'G').

My bank balance just needs to recover somewhat.  Like the idea of an installment plan ...

Art

Hi Art,

You can adjust top speed with CV57. The project default value is 100. Reduce this value to reduce top speed without affecting the sound project in any way. (Use this in preference to CV5).

Alternatively, don't turn the throttle up so far. LOL.

You can reduce the volume directly with F key 27 without having to reprogramme CV266.

(Use F key 28 to increase volume).

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

Considering the nose end tooling necessary for loco C already exists, and has done since the original announcement of the SLW 24 - (see photo 4 on their home page) it's surprising that this variant has not already been produced, it was obviously considered during the development of the project.

Indeed Tractor. Phil had a 24 with the C front end at Scalefour North a few weeks back. I assumed it was already in production and so was quite surprised to see it on the wish list.

They are from Mostyn's fleet, all explained on page 56.

Whilst 97201 is more unusual, it covers a later time period and was more widely travelled. Helps people justify it without invoking rule 1.

Roy

but it has already been produced twice already in RTC red and blue livery by Bachmann. Once as a Rail Express limited edition and the other I think was by Modelzone. While the SLW one is undoubtedly to a higher standard, it could also have an effect on potential sales

but it has already been produced twice already in RTC red and blue livery by Bachmann. Once as a Rail Express limited edition and the other I think was by Modelzone. While the SLW one is undoubtedly to a higher standard, it could also have an effect on potential sales

I always regretted missing out on the Bachmann RTC class 24 but it looks very much like it will be produced by SLW in the near future so even if I was fortunate enough to own one it would no doubt end up on E-Bay or the dustbin as there is absolutely no comparison between them, incidently, my seventh SLW class 24 arrived last week, just D5017 to go :-)

Edited by Brian Hawkins

Whilst I agree with with your theory, it's "people power" that's driving  the selection process. A brave and unusual coarse of action for a small manufacturer to take and whether successful or not, only time will tell.

I know of five people that have not voted as the prototype we wanted is not listed but we are only five, against how many tens or hundreds of other likely purchasers.

I would imagine SLW know their potential market and the selection of the eight loco's given to vote on, may be the most often recently requested to SLW to produce?

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

I always regretted missing out on the Bachmann RTC class 24 but it looks very much like it will be produced by SLW in the near future so even if I was fortunate enough to own one it would no doubt end up on E-Bay or the dustbin as there is absolutely no comparison between them, incidently, my seventh SLW class 24 arrived last week, just D5017 to go :-)

I have a Bachmann RTC 24 which I like very much. The Howes sound chip isn't bad either. But I'll still be putting it on e-bay to make way for the SLW version, assuming it's produced. No question about it. The step up in quality would make it worthwhile, for me anyway.

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 3

But, blue and green class 24's have already been produced by Bachmann including 24081 and they haven't affected SLW sales, in fact SLW 24081 is long sold out!

• RMweb Gold

As has been said by others, what went before is irrelevant in this case. That is like saying I have a blue car so no need to buy a better blue car ever.

To compare the Bachmann and SLW versions is just not worth the time.

Roy

Had an operating session yesterday, two slw sound fitted 24s and a Bachmann 25 with swd sound. Ouch! With the three of them lined up in three adjacent lines, the Bachmann one looks and sounds terrible. Phil and jamie need to hurry up with a 25. Im not sure how long i can keep putting up with my 25 fleet, early withdrawal beckons!

Incidentally i wonder how the vote is progressing?

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

Had an operating session yesterday, two slw sound fitted 24s and a Bachmann 25 with swd sound. Ouch! With the three of them lined up in three adjacent lines, the Bachmann one looks and sounds terrible. Phil and jamie need to hurry up with a 25. Im not sure how long i can keep putting up with my 25 fleet, early withdrawal beckons!

Incidentally i wonder how the vote is progressing?

I agree, I very rarely run my Bachman 24's as they are an embarrassment stood next to a SLW one on my layout, personally I cant see a 25 being released until next year at the earliest :-(