Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

It's been said here that the % relates to the number of votes needed per item for production to go ahead. It's not the % the item has from all votes cast.

So item D has 30% of votes it needs to be put into production not 30% of he votes cast overall.

Thanks for the explanation.

That make sense. It would also make sense to have a legend with the chart to explain what the percentages meant, which it does not. It doesn't when shared on Facebook either, and I am not going to read 62 pages of posts to find out why someone is posting figures that do not appear to add up.

I was only having a light hearted dig, particularly in a world where we constantly hear percentages used as a metaphor rather than a mathematical term (by the kind of people who I have seen on The Apprentice, just before I turn off the TV).

I hope SLW do raise the amount of interest in order to get the locomotives into a production run. I had a chat at the SLW stand at the York show, and was asked to vote, but I said that I didn't think would be fair for me to cast a vote as for the foreseeable future I can not afford another Class 24 for my layout, and so my vote could stand against someone who has a genuine interest in a particular loco and livery and is ready to make a purchase.

Jamie

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, and I thought we weren't supposed to talk politics on the Forum.

As Nick G said 'Greens on a surge', the blue still seems strong but the Red one is level in this poll.

Who would have thought it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Talking to Phil Sutton at the DEMU Showcase last weekend (I was sat demoing next to him all weekend), he is looking at alternative rad grilles (both material and design), likewise he's discussing the glazing with his Chinese factory.

I did note that one of the demo models Phil was running all weekend (one of the D5107 Darlington ones) appeared to have a much better-looking rad grille - on closer examination this was a slightly different factory-applied paint job on a standard SLW grille. Whether by accident or design, it looked much better than the adjacent loco (also the Darlington D5107).

I did also see at Showcase that Shawplan have a laszerglaze pack out for the SLW 24. I bought one, will fit as and when I find a spare moment!

Edited by CloggyDog
  • Like 1

I have recently received D5017 'down Under' . It is superb, and I have even managed to change the headcode discs! D5000 now has a companion, selling 2x Bachmann 24s on Ebay almost paid for it! Looking forward to the 'Highland Sulzer' in plain green, no yellow panel..............

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 2

Noooooooooo Lets not start up "Grillgate" again! It was almost WW3 in here last time!

At least everything else about the 24 is superior to the Hornby 67

Dog + Bone + Dead Horse = Headache

• RMweb Premium

Talking to Phil Sutton at the DEMU Showcase last weekend (I was sat demoing next to him all weekend), he is looking at alternative rad grilles (both material and design), likewise he's discussing the glazing with his Chinese factory.

I did note that one of the demo models Phil was running all weekend (one of the D5107 Darlington ones) appeared to have a much better-looking rad grille - on closer examination this was a slightly different factory-applied paint job on a standard SLW grille. Whether by accident or design, it looked much better than the adjacent loco (also the Darlington D5107).

I did also see at Showcase that Shawplan have a laszerglaze pack out for the SLW 24. I bought one, will fit as and when I find a spare moment!

Like Alan I too had to put up with the constant noise of Sulzer engines at DEMU Showcase. Going to my next show like this :music:

Phil must have seen the agony that I endured and as a consolation gave me a Eastern Region Blue SLW mug. Cheers Phil, coffee taste great in it.  :good:

B*gger!

My own personal Grill Gate.

Forced into trying to disguise the oversize slats.

attachicon.gifSLW-Class-24-150-EditSm.jpg

P

Purse

Love how you've gone to all the effort of distressing your grill...you have taken observational modelling to new heights (or lower depths...depending on how much beer you have left in your glass)...so why does it look finer...just weathering, have you stripped off the paint and reapplied...or does this distressed section lead the eye astray?

A/box

Edited by Axlebox

Ah! What a dastardly plan. If only I'd thought of the "intentional distressing" to divert the eye ploy.

Unfortunately, purely the result of numbty fingers, failing eyesight and the application of some Vallejo London Grey.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

My dad ordered 24 091 at DEMU on Sat, went round last night to find a card saying postie had left it under the bench at the front of his house! Thankfully was still sat there, unwrapped and played with till half 12 this morning, superb model all round, and the noise is just something else. Blows everything else we own out the water, not enough superlatives fo these 24s. If you dont have one,get one!

Cheers

James

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Ah! What a dastardly plan. If only I'd thought of the "intentional distressing" to divert the eye ploy.

Unfortunately, purely the result of numbty fingers, failing eyesight and the application of some Vallejo London Grey.

P

All you've got to do now is make the rest match......

Izzy

All you've got to do now is make the rest match......

Dya reckon?

Take a look at Pete Brumby's pic of D5095 taken on the 3rd April 1965.

https://flic.kr/p/dv24D8

But then you didn't make it clear "weather" you meant the rest of the grills or the rest of the Loco?  :smile_mini2:

P

HAVE YOU VOTED YET?

Forget Jeremy & Theresa, we’ve got our own red, blue and even green parties to support!

Back in April, we launched the ‘Great Sulzer Sign-up’ following the successful introduction of our Class 24 model which met with widespread acclaim. The initial production batches have sold out so, rather than produce easy and simple re-runs, we decided to trial putting the final choice of this next run of models directly into the hands of existing and potential customers. With supplies of the current Class 24 models running down we will be pressing the button on further production very soon. One of the founding principles of Sutton’s Locomotive Workshop is that the Class 24 model should remain - as far as possible - in stock at all times. We regarded it as a ‘bread and butter’ mixed-traffic locomotive that will always be on someone’s shopping list.

EIGHT VERSION TO CHOOSE FROM…

As an added incentive to vote early, subscribers for the new livery options will be able to secure their models at the original ‘locked-in’ price - the very same price as when the model was first launched in 2015. We have also provided the opportunity to support a longer term proposal for the much requested Highland batch with headcode boxes. These models will have even greater play value than our existing standard Class 24, featuring working high-intensity ‘rally style’ headlights (using our advanced DCC lighting functionality), tablet-catcher equipment, snowploughs and even slotted boiler grille covers. Releases will always be spaced to spread any cost - allowing you to vote and budget for more than one option if so desired.

LATEST EXIT POLL

Over a thousand of you have voted during the last few weeks and we present the latest standings here. We invite anyone who is yet to vote, to do so now. It is our intention to initiate production when a particular locomotive hits 100% of its target and we have already pre-allocated some production time in our factory later this year. The targets have all been set according to realistic quantity levels.

To register your vote, just go to:
http://sulzertype2.co.uk/page.php?p=vote-01 and follow the instructions. Will we see some shock results?

post-7968-0-13286200-1496952363_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As there are quite a few class 24 experts on this thread I will ask this question here, why did some class 24's have full size fuel & water tanks 24047 for example and some had shortened fuel & water tanks 24082 for one?

As there are quite a few class 24 experts on this thread I will ask this question here, why did some class 24's have full size fuel & water tanks 24047 for example and some had shortened fuel & water tanks 24082 for one?

Hi

If you scroll down to near the bottom of this webpage you should find your answer:-

http://www.derbysulzers.com/changes.html

Basically it's all down to weight saving.

Kevin

Edited by apollo 079