Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

It's pretty well documented about the yellow cab side window, from memory it lasted a very short time, around 76-77, though I'm happy to be corrected. It had disappeared by the time it carried cab end numbers. ( though these numbers in themselves are problematic as they were carried at only one end for at least part of the time, unlike the slw loco that had them on both ends)

Interesting subject the small black numbers on the front. I am modelling 24081 in 1979 and all the pictures I have seen it doesn't seem to have the numbers so I have removed them. It certainly had them when it was withdrawn and moved to Southport Steamtown but did it have them in its final months in BR service in 1980 I don't know? It had silver buffers in the latter part of 1979 though.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting subject the small black numbers on the front. I am modelling 24081 in 1979 and all the pictures I have seen it doesn't seem to have the numbers so I have removed them. It certainly had them when it was withdrawn and moved to Southport Steamtown but did it have them in its final months in BR service in 1980 I don't know? It had silver buffers in the latter part of 1979 though.

Rail-online has a photo of it with the front number in May 1980: http://www.rail-online.co.uk/img/s/v-3/p1783934428-3.jpg

Roy

That confirms it had front number on at least one end in service then.

Hi.

I have found photos of both ends of the loco at Crewe Works Open Day 22nd September 1979 which confirm that on that date it carried black cab front numbers at No1 end only (the loco by this date had grease stained silver buffer heads). Another photo shows still no numbers on No2 end http://railphotoarchive.org/rpc_zoom.php?NextImg=0995000001000&aid=&InFrame=&_PAGE=. The photo is dated 18th July 1980 (loco still with grease stained silver buffer heads in this pic at Crewe Diesel). Given that the loco was withdrawn about 10 weeks later, this photo suggests (unless the caption date is wrong of course) that the loco probably never carried black numbers at No2 end in its BR service days. Unless of course, anyone knows different?

Black numbers have since been applied at both ends at least twice since withdrawal (once at Steamport Southport and more recently with very small numbers at G&WSR).

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Silver buffers too in the second photo.

Loco was apparently repainted in July 79 and displayed at Llandudno with spotless silver buffers for the Blaenau Ffestiniog centenary. This info and more on Derby Sulzers page, lots of useful info, dates and photos for 081: http://www.derbysulzers.com/24081.html

Edit: definately no No.2 end numbers in April 1980 as per 12th photo in this Flickr site: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tigerman20/galleries/72157627831919062/

Edited by Signaller69

Hi.

I have found photos of both ends of the loco at Crewe Works Open Day 22nd September 1979 which confirm that on that date it carried black cab front numbers at No1 end only (the loco by this date had grease stained silver buffer heads). Another photo shows still no numbers on No2 end http://railphotoarchive.org/rpc_zoom.php?NextImg=0995000001000&aid=&InFrame=&_PAGE=. The photo is dated 18th July 1980 (loco still with grease stained silver buffer heads in this pic at Crewe Diesel). Given that the loco was withdrawn about 10 weeks later, this photo suggests (unless the caption date is wrong of course) that the loco probably never carried black numbers at No2 end in its BR service days. Unless of course, anyone knows different?

Black numbers have since been applied at both ends at least twice since withdrawal (once at Steamport Southport and more recently with very small numbers at G&WSR).

Hope this helps.

Kevin

From memory and from looking at lots of pictures I think you're spot on, I think it was only in preservation that it got numbers at both ends. The SLW loco whilst fabulous isn't completely perfect. In regards to the body side steps, the lower one wasn't plated over, whereas it is on the model

From memory and from looking at lots of pictures I think you're spot on, I think it was only in preservation that it got numbers at both ends. The SLW loco whilst fabulous isn't completely perfect. In regards to the body side steps, the lower one wasn't plated over, whereas it is on the model

Not quite correct. The lowest footstep on the one side by the BIS opening was uncovered, but all of them on the other side were plated over. So only 50% not perfect.

Paul J.

• Like 1

My take on D5107 when it was assigned to the Tyne Dock to Consett iron ore trains (cab windows still to be changed for Lazerglaze):

DSC01807.jpg

On a related note, can anyone recommend any number decals that are a match for the SLW numbers as I need to renumber my other D5107 to D5109 - so far, I've removed the 7 from the model and got a set of Modelmaster deals which are very nice and certainly the same font as the SLW numbers but they are slightly larger.  I could remove the entire number and use the decals but, as the 24s ran in pairs on the Consett trains, I'd prefer not do as that would mean that the two locos will have different sized numbers...

John

Edited by johndon
  • Like 3

My take on D5107 when it was assigned to the Tyne Dock to Consett iron ore trains (cab windows still to be changed for Lazerglaze):

On a related note, can anyone recommend any number decals that are a match for the SLW numbers as I need to renumber my other D5107 to D5109 - so far, I've removed the 7 from the model and got a set of Modelmaster deals which are very nice and certainly the same font as the SLW numbers but they are slightly larger.  I could remove the entire number and use the decals but, as the 24s ran in pairs on the Consett trains, I'd prefer not do as that would mean that the two locos will have different sized numbers...

John

Conversely, I renumbered my D5016 to D5017 the same way, by removing the last digit only; I used HMRS (ex-PC Models) pressfix numbers which also match the font well, but are a fraction too short. We need to be able to blend the Modelmaster and HMRS ones and average them out! :D

Sulzer%20Type%202s%20on%20Viaduct_zpsvdt

just a thought: if you could renumber to something with a straighter number, you could cut off the bottom edge of the number. A '7' could be shortened, but that obviously cannot be the number you use (no prizes for guessing why!), but '1' or '4' could also be doctored. I'm not familiar with the Consett number series (I know it has been mentioned before) but could something like D5111 be used, replacing the last two digits with shortened '1's? Or perhaps, D5104? If those aren't suitable numbers, feel free to shoot me down in flames. :)

p.s. That's a really great weathering job on D5107.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 2

Latest progress on voting posted on SLW's Facebook today. Ranked order still the same with top voting at 55%, bottom at 18%.

It is getting there, I had better save up!

Roy

The highland ones are beginning to look like a certainty :) along with the ice cream van.

Hi.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

It carried numbers at one end only when I was at Southport. If it gained numbers at both ends then that was probably applied after it had left. The owner at the time, Bren, was adamant that it was to be kept in "as withdrawn" condition. Even turning down a full repaint at one stage.

Jason

It carried numbers at one end only when I was at Southport. If it gained numbers at both ends then that was probably applied after it had left. The owner at the time, Bren, was adamant that it was to be kept in "as withdrawn" condition. Even turning down a full repaint at one stage.

Jason

This photo https://www.flickr.com/photos/37190-dalzell/8688235163/ suggests that the loco was repainted some time before August 1990, which may well be when it gained the numbers at No 2 end. This pic http://www.railwaymedia.co.uk/Rail/Locos/24/i-mJ95srQ shows the loco in 1992 with the bottom centre disc missing from No2 end.

During its stint at Llangollen the loco ran with no end numbers (and masqueraded as 5000/24005 at one point).

Kevin

Edited by apollo 079

Conversely, I renumbered my D5016 to D5017 the same way, by removing the last digit only; I used HMRS (ex-PC Models) pressfix numbers which also match the font well, but are a fraction too short. We need to be able to blend the Modelmaster and HMRS ones and average them out! :D

I bit the bullet and went for a full renumbering last night with the Modelmaster decals...

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Jason

It had a repaint when it went to the ELR gala in 1988.

Any photos?

Not the best but here you go:

IMG_0432.jpg

Numbers are slightly larger and whiter than the SLW numbers but, hopefully, after a good coat of grime, they won't look too different when the locos are double heading...

John

• Like 1