Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

But not any examples of his own modelling.

You're taking things too seriously. Tis only a forum. Maybe try some modelling for a few hours yourself. It may make you feel a little more mellow.

You have put words in my mouth there by selectively quoting me, twisting what I said to imply something contrary to it.

The quote you take was not me saying that a 5% error in a measurement meant a model is wrong: I said if more than 5% of a model is not right, then for some people the model as a whole is wrong. I never mentioned 00, and I don’t know where you got that from, but your link between the two is as disingenuous as it is entirely fictional. My point was, we each have our own personal thresholds for tolerating number of errors, and the degree of those errors.

In fact, if you look at what I actually said, I was speaking in generalisations to provide examples of how personal leanings affect choices.

Not once did I denigrate the choices others have made.

I personally find 00 gauge to be too compromised, but there is no denying that I have seen some absolutely stunning 00 layouts which I found totally absorbing, just as I have seen some awful P4 layouts. I am not inclined towards building a busy layout with lots going on, and lots of models on it, so I can afford to take my time gently ambling along backwaters far away from the mainstream and engage in things that simply are of no interest to most people. That doesn’t name me any better than anyone else, it just makes me different.

On the other hand, you seem to have some need to make personal attacks based on imaginative leaps from what I said to what you seem to want me to have said. I have no idea why you would engage in such action, but there you go.

Your assumption, not mine. I don’t presume to know your standards: as long as you are happy with the choices you have made, then who cares?

If it works for you, then it works for you. End of story.

I genuinely don’t care what your standards of accuracy/tolerance of errors are. I have seen some examples of your modelling, and it struck me that it was made to a high standard of workmanship (to me, that is far more important than whether you have adopted 00, EM or P4) and if you are happy working in 00, then that’s great.

Enjoy your modelling. But please stop presuming to know what I think.

But not any examples of his own modelling.

"The man he doth protest too much, methinks".

Really is time to draw a line under this increasingly silly banter, as said above, the SLW Sulzer 2 is a very fine model and all credit to those who made it happen.

So that's T.T.F.N. from me then!

John.

• RMweb Gold

You're taking things too seriously. Tis only a forum. Maybe try some modelling for a few hours yourself. It may make you feel a little more mellow.

‘‘Twas but a humorous jest. I was, and am feeling quite mellow.

I wonder if he will do anything else ? I was surprised when they went for a 24,,, didn't think they were that popular as a prototype ??

Anyway, I'd say with the faults of the Hornby version, and their indifference to actually making any...that the 31 as mooted above would be a good bet .

I wonder if he will do anything else ? I was surprised when they went for a 24,,, didn't think they were that popular as a prototype ??

Anyway, I'd say with the faults of the Hornby version, and their indifference to actually making any...that the 31 as mooted above would be a good bet .

Although Heljan have flooded the market....it's got to be a class 47, having said that the class 31 is a good call. The problem they have is the moment any of the big manufacture get a whisper of what they're planning a new updated model will be announced that won't appear for years.

Although Heljan have flooded the market....it's got to be a class 47, having said that the class 31 is a good call. The problem they have is the moment any of the big manufacture get a whisper of what they're planning a new updated model will be announced that won't appear for years.

A very good reason to do as slw do and keep things to themselves until the item is ready for release. Much harder to get gazumped that way unless someone leaks something.

For all this wishful thinking of other Classes of models, I think SLW will be doing more 24s only , for a quite a while yet,especially if they go ahead with the Scottish 24s that will require new tooling to front ends and lighting arrangement plus whatever else maybe required, I am not that familiar with the above to say what other changes would or might be required .

For all this wishful thinking of other Classes of models, I think SLW will be doing more 24s only , for a quite a while yet,especially if they go ahead with the Scottish 24s that will require new tooling to front ends and lighting arrangement plus whatever else maybe required, I am not that familiar with the above to say what other changes would or might be required .

Yes I agree and they will only do the 24/1's that they have catalogued on their web site. I did email them (in January) asking about an option G without the warning panels and headlights, in original as-delivered condition but they did not get back to me, so I take that as a big 'No'.

• RMweb Premium

Yes I agree and they will only do the 24/1's that they have catalogued on their web site. I did email them (in January) asking about an option G without the warning panels and headlights, in original as-delivered condition but they did not get back to me, so I take that as a big 'No'.

One of my mates keeps moaning that SLW have not done the production skinhead version without yellow panel. Now I have mentioned it to Phil every time I see him. Phil and I have known each other for some time so we do talk straight to each other. His reply to the message I passed on to him is "There is green paint". Sorry but I fully agree with Phil. I still need to get out the yella paint for D5000 I brought yonks ago.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

When SLW do anything other than a 24, my betting is that it will be something that was seen in useful quantities on the North Wales coast line in BR blue days.

Cheers,

Mick

When SLW do anything other than a 24, my betting is that it will be something that was seen in useful quantities on the North Wales coast line in BR blue days.

Cheers,

Mick

Knowing next to nothing about the North Wales coast, I assume that would be class 40 shaped?

• RMweb Premium

Knowing next to nothing about the North Wales coast, I assume that would be class 40 shaped?

Knowing Phil at SLW, assume nothing.

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. Do not assume - it will make an ass out of u and me.

• Like 1

I did email them (in January) asking about an option G without the warning panels and headlights, in original as-delivered condition but they did not get back to me, so I take that as a big 'No'.

I emailed them about that version last April and the reply was

"I have registered you as interested in this variation and we will be in touch with any future developments."

Alan