Dan Griffin

Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

I must admit these do look stunning, just sadly not my era. 

I might be being stupid, but after you park up and switch the sound off, how do you turn the cab light off?

Have received mine and I have to say it is a remarkable model on every level, and packaged in a style which would get an approval from Steve Jobs (were he still alive....), everything about it just screams quality. The tin box may be a gimmick but it is a feel good gimmick that brings a warm glow, and it is very nicely done (probably the best I've seen, tin boxes are surprisingly popular for packaging models).

On the model itself, as some of you know my principal interest in model trains in North American and Japanese outline brass HO, and the levels of detail, finish and attention to getting it right on this model match (or surpass) my brass models. The glazing, the paint finish, the printing, it is just all exceptionally well done. And as for shape and the all important "face" of the model, it just looks right to me.

When these were first released I was sceptical and took against some of the semi-cultish reaction from some, hailing SLW as the second coming of the messiah type reactions, and to be honest I'm still not a fan of cultish behaviour but I will say that this model is outstanding, a remarkable piece of model making, and thoroughly deserves it's acclaim as a benchmark in OO models.

And for the price, tremendous value. When I look at the attention to the overall presentation, packaging and detail of this model and look at price relative to other models it represents excellent value for money. And no pre-ordering, manufacture to order or crowdfunding type stuff. Well done to SLW, I'll admit that I'm eating a few words that may be dug up from me earlier in this thread...…..:o

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Have received mine and I have to say it is a remarkable model on every level, and packaged in a style which would get an approval from Steve Jobs (were he still alive....), everything about it just screams quality. The tin box may be a gimmick but it is a feel good gimmick that brings a warm glow, and it is very nicely done (probably the best I've seen, tin boxes are surprisingly popular for packaging models).

I think that's a bit of an unfair comparison - I'm very confident that the SLW products are not toys.

10 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I think that's a bit of an unfair comparison - I'm very confident that the SLW products are not toys.

Where did I say Slw products are toys? I commented that I think Steve Jobs of Apple would approve of the presentation. Given that Apple are seen as a benchmark for presentation and giving people a warm glow from the purchase experience and unboxing I would consider it a compliment. 

• Agree 2

Apple are like "my first phone" - shiny and colourful but you can't actually do anything with them. You can graduate to an adult one later.

I think you missed the tongue in cheek behind my comment :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Apple are like "my first phone" - shiny and colourful but you can't actually do anything with them. You can graduate to an adult one later.

I think you missed the tongue in cheek behind my comment :)

Except iphones are not like 'my first phone', perhaps why we missed the 'joke' 

• Agree 1

Then I apologise for missing the target with my humour :)

Fitted an ESU Lokpilot v4 which has a number of very long CV screens in Decoder Pro - are their are any particular CVs that need tweaking or are necessary to change to get the lights responding correctly?

On 10/11/2019 at 10:28, Butler Henderson said:

Fitted an ESU Lokpilot v4 which has a number of very long CV screens in Decoder Pro - are their are any particular CVs that need tweaking or are necessary to change to get the lights responding correctly?

You may ?  find that a Lokpilot V4 does not have enough function outputs to give full control of all the lighting options available.  The earlier sound fitted versions came fitted with Zimo decoders that allowed full control of the fitted lighting options, I assume this is still the case with the latest batch of models. 

HTH

Edited by tractor_37260
amend text
  • Agree 1

Ordered the 2-tone green D5040 a while ago and today my card has been charged. 

So I suppose it can't take long anymore before it'll be send out :D

Edited by Ryan91
  • Like 2

About the time scale I was told the Two Tone green version would appear !

Yes. I only got charged for 97201 a few days before it arrived so the next batch must be imminent.

3 hours ago, Ryan91 said:

Ordered the 2-tone green D5040 a while ago and today my card has been issued. 

So I suppose it can't take long anymore before it'll be send out https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png

My card also charged today for 5040, would imagine will probably come within a few days, if 97201 was an indication .

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 13:48, tractor_37260 said:

You may ?  find that a Lokpilot V4 does not have enough function outputs to give full control of all the lighting options available.  The earlier sound fitted versions came fitted with Zimo decoders that allowed full control of the fitted lighting options, I assume this is still the case with the latest batch of models. 

HTH

According to the manual "LokPilot decoders with PluX22 interface have all in all 6 power outputs" while function outputs are listed as

Head light (Config. 1), Head light (Config. 2), Rear light (Config. 1), Rear light (Config. 2), AUX1 (Config. 1), AUX1 (Config. 2), AUX2 Config. 2 (twice presumably the first is Config.1), AUX3, to AUX10 with each having a "Mode Select CV", a "Switching On-Off delay",  an "Automatic switch-off",a  "Brightness CV", and two sets of special function CVs which in all occupy CVs 259 to 384.

GREEN SANDWICH DELIVERY SCHEDULED

We are preparing to dispatch the first of our two-tone green locomotives (Ipswich-based D5040) at the end of this week and are therefore processing payments. See our updated cover image. As is to be expected, we have several details that are now out of date as we worked through all the orders. If you have reserved this model and your card has NOT yet been charged then that means you are in this situation. We will be e-mailing reminders tonight/tomorrow. Please contact us on 01780 470086 as soon as possible between 09.00 and 19.00 with updated payment details. This will avoid any delay to your model. Let us also know of any recent change of address, e-mails, contact number, etc. You are in for a nice mid-1960s surprise... hopefully landing on Saturday. Please do not ring otherwise during this busy period as it will only cause more delay since we are a small team. Thank you!

D5053 is to follow as soon as D5040 has been sent out…

D5040rgb1200_1.jpg

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

An update on my earlier post [Tuesday 12 November] just had an email from SLW that my two tone green 24 is on its way to me to-day[ Friday]

• Like 1

Sorry for intruding the party and not going through 87 pages of posts but if I order a vanilla version, how easy a task is it to retro fit sound / super cap please ?

For the Kernow Southern triplets it's just a case of fitting the chip as the speaker is installed regardless of which configuration you order.

Thanks

Pretty straightforward. SLW will sell a retro fitting kit including decoder, speakers and if you wish the supercap, all configured to work correctly straight away.

Then,

Remove blanking plate, fit the custom ZIMO MX645P22 decoder. Push-fit the speakers into the built-in enclosures and connect the speaker plugs into their sockets on the PCB. Remove the built-in electrolytic capacitors and solder the supercap in their place.

I'll repeat the warning I gave much earlier in this thread.

Only a specially customised for SLW version of the ZIMO MX645P22 decoder will operate all the lighting functions on this model as supplied. This is because they have been built especially for this model and have an extra Function Output which is used by the model.

No other decoder will operate all the lights correctly without changing the wiring inside the model.

Best regards,

Paul

• Informative/Useful 3

I've received my D5040 today. Unfortunately not how I hoped to see it.. :(

20191120-010714.jpg
20191120-011002.jpg
20191120-011017.jpg
20191120-011028.jpg
20191120-011519.jpg
20191120-011525.jpg

No damage to the cardboard box though. Lets hope they still have one left :)

Edited by Ryan91
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have just received my new loco after the first one arrived with quite some damage.

Jamie directly sent me a new one even before I sent the broken one back.

Many compliments to their wonderful loco and excellent service! ^_^

20191128-211027.jpg

• Like 11