Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

One correction to my previous posts is that the D5107 model is simply a repaint to show what will happen if sales go well....it isn't a production version of this sub class.

Seems a little more than a simple repaint as it's got the MkII version of the hopper door control pipes fitted.

Hi Ho.

P

Seems a little more than a simple repaint as it's got the MkII version of the hopper door control pipes fitted.

Hi Ho.

P

....post reworded just for you Porcy...

One correction to my previous posts is that the D5107 model is not a production version....it shows what should happen if sales go well. There are some of the individual features of this sub-class included but not all.

Dave

....you can take it that Sutton Locomotive Works would not release an incorrect model, so D5000 will be correct in 'as built' condition.

Locos based on the Southern had some mods to the underslung tanks because of weight/route availability issues. Therefore, if D5000 was reallocated to the Southern I'd be looking carefully at close up pictures of that area, whilst it was there.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 1

....you can take it that Sutton Locomotive Works would not release an incorrect model, so D5000 will be correct in 'as built' condition.

Locos based on the Southern had some mods to the underslung tanks because of weight/route availability issues. Therefore, if D5000 was reallocated to the Southern I'd be looking carefully at close up pictures of that area, whilst it was there.

Dave

Dave,

As you appear to be the RMweb mouthpiece for SLW, (and assuming that I haven't missed a post on this subject), can you comment on the alleged deficiency of slats in the main grille ?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

....if that is the biggest flaw in this model John, then you have little to worry about.

Some components didn't scale down to look as good in 4mm as on the prototype....it may be that an executive decision was made to go for the best looking representation in this instance....but that is not an official line.

Electro-coloration of very fine sections in tight situations relative to the next will progress too....if the gaps are too small then you wouldn't be able to paint/repaint the model.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

• RMweb Premium

Wow! As I said before I run DC and because I have so many locos are committed to it. I've always viewed sound as making it seem more like people playing trains. All these chirping class 20s and horn sounding every time something moves gave me a real downer on sound. But listening to the 24 I'm instantly transferred back to the platform ends of Queen Street station Glasgow. Ok it was a 25 , as I missed the 24s but I can hear now the roar as it banked a train out and up Cowlairs incline. Just superb!

May have to contemplate a layout rebuild to bring in DCC on a separate track

....if that is the biggest flaw in this model John, then you have little to worry about.

Some components didn't scale down to look as good in 4mm as on the prototype....it may be that an executive decision was made to go for the best looking representation in this instance....but that is not an official line.

Dave

Fair enough.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

FUNCTIONS NOT AVAILABLE on controllers with only 20 functions such as the Dynamis are

21 Tail Lights (see above post for work around).

22 Cab Lights

23 - 26 Notch Up sound (1/4 1/2 3/4 full)

27 Volume Up

28 Volume Down

Dan,

Here's a work around for cab lighting for those who have limited functionality on their DCC controllers, like your Dynamis, early ECoS and some entry level systems like Hornby Select, Bachmann EZ DCC .

CV159 = 60

CV160 = 60

CV454 = 29

This will set the cab lights to come on whenever the marker lights are switched on, and will change ends when the direction change button is activated.

To compensate for the fact that you do not now have the full control of the cab lights which would be available with a better specified DCC system, i.e. access to all 29 F Keys (Hornby Elite, Gaugemaster Prodigy, NCE PowerCab, later ECoS, Lenz with latest firmware loaded, ZIMO, and many others), the cab lights will only illuminate when the loco is stationary. As soon as speed steps are greater than 0 (zero) the cab lights will extinguish.

If the marker lights are 'ON' when the loco stops,  the cab lights will illuminate automatically.

That should tide you over.

Kind regards,

Paul

Rick, a quick video for you showing the lighting:- 

What that reveals, which I had not picked up on earlier, is that the indicator discs can be opened and shut. That feature is much more useful than the lighting IMHO. However the video does not show the top lamp working, and does not show whether the left and right lamps are on separate controls?

Regards

Dan,

Here's a work around for cab lighting for those who have limited functionality on their DCC controllers, like your Dynamis, early ECoS and some entry level systems like Hornby Select, Bachmann EZ DCC .

CV159 = 60

CV160 = 60

CV454 = 29

This will set the cab lights to come on whenever the marker lights are switched on, and will change ends when the direction change button is activated.

To compensate for the fact that you do not now have the full control of the cab lights which would be available with a better specified DCC system, i.e. access to all 29 F Keys (Hornby Elite, Gaugemaster Prodigy, NCE PowerCab, later ECoS, Lenz with latest firmware loaded, ZIMO, and many others), the cab lights will only illuminate when the loco is stationary. As soon as speed steps are greater than 0 (zero) the cab lights will extinguish.

If the marker lights are 'ON' when the loco stops, the cab lights will illuminate automatically.

That should tide you over.

Kind regards,

Paul

Brilliant, many thanks Paul, your a star! Sorry if it seemed like I was pointing out negatives to the DCC control, I don't mean it that way at all. What you have achieved is fantastic.

Cheers

Brilliant, many thanks Paul, your a star! Sorry if it seemed like I was pointing out negatives to the DCC control, I don't mean it that way at all. What you have achieved is fantastic.

Cheers

Daniel,

No problem. I didn't think that at all but others may have formed an incorrect view. The sound project and decoder work perfectly as supplied, but if the DCC system is restrictive I can generally suggest a work around to overcome such deficiencies.

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 1

Daniel,

No problem. I didn't think that at all but others may have formed an incorrect view. The sound project and decoder work perfectly as supplied, but if the DCC system is restrictive I can generally suggest a work around to overcome such deficiencies.

Paul

I didn't see it as negative :) I saw it as a loco with superior tech to some DCC controllers. It just helps me make the step up from the Dynamis to something like an ECoS. Not everyone will want to upgrade their controller though so it's nice to see there are work arounds so thanks for the info

• RMweb Premium

....a few radiator/boiler comp. grille close ups....

attachicon.gifP10201721.JPG

attachicon.gifP10201711.JPG

attachicon.gifP10201701.JPG

attachicon.gifP10201661.JPG

Dave

The rad and boiler grilles are the sole niggle I have with what is otherwise a superb-looking piece of kit.

On the model's rad grille - the vertical bars sit on the main plane as the horizontal slats, so the eye gives them the same prominence. The prototype has the vertical bars behind the horizontals.

On the the Darlington grey finish at new, the verticals do appear as prominently, but far less so on plain green or blue coloured grilles, hence the odd look to those livery variants.

24081.jpg

The verticals are barely noticable in this pic.

I had an invite to the launch, but was already booked away all last weekend and so had to decline. I'm sure I'd have come home with at least 1 blue 'un otherwise.

Edited by CloggyDeux

What that reveals, which I had not picked up on earlier, is that the indicator discs can be opened and shut. That feature is much more useful than the lighting IMHO. However the video does not show the top lamp working, and does not show whether the left and right lamps are on separate controls?

Regards

The headcode discs do not open and close as such, you simply change them around by attaching from the detailing pack which ones you want. They simply pull off and pop back on again. All of the head lamps illuminate when lights are on, but the closed head discs cover up the lamps. There is a little light seep around the closed head disc but not too much to notice.

Loch Long,

Fair comment, that's how I see it too.

Just make sure the ECoS you buy can access all 29 F keys, especially if buying second hand. Don't assume because they're expensive that this is a given.

Kid regards,

Paul

Thanks for that, I would buy new, but still i'd be making sure it is full functioning on purchase. Still not 100% which way to go on control just yet, I will decide in the new year.

BTW Going on Daniel's sound demo video I'd say you've got it spot on, well done. Did you use D5061 as someone previously mentioned? (I love that machine and always liked to see it running on the NYMR, I've always liked it because it was a "workhorse" loco not just a shiny polished museum piece)

Edited by 37081LochLong

• RMweb Premium

The headcode discs do not open and close as such, you simply change them around by attaching from the detailing pack which ones you want. They simply pull off and pop back on again. All of the head lamps illuminate when lights are on, but the closed head discs cover up the lamps. There is a little light seep around the closed head disc but not too much to notice.

Is it possible to plug in the 'closed' discs upside down, to recreate the oft-seen (especially on ScR) trait of folding the lower disc up?

Edited by CloggyDeux

The discussion on the grills is an interesting one. There are limitations to injection moulding and this matter of the grills seems to have hit one. There is every reason, though, to suppose that etched brass would be able to do this easily, but at what cost?

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find that a highly detailed model like this one, at the price at which it is retailing, is approaching the point where etchings are not only required to achieve the aims of the designer and the requirements of the purchaser but can be provided economically within the retail price.

It's all a matter of playing off costs and benefits, but I'd bet that that nice Mr Shawplan isn't looking at a post sale opportunity here!

Regards

• Like 1

Well that's a bonus for a start then, I just hope she was recorded in times other than her last few months of service when she was really struggling. D5061 really has been carrying the railway on it's shoulders along with Sybilla. I don't know the differences between the 24 and 24/1 at all, so don't know which variants either of the NYMR's pair are, and can't seem to find any info on it either

The NYMR ones are TOPS Class 24/0's. In early days this would include up to D5113. 24/1 is D5114 to D5100. The most obvious difference is the Class 24/1 has the four character head ode box on the cab roof.

Not strictly true.  Yes, all headcode box fitted Class 24s (including 24055) are 24/1s but not all 24/1s have headcode boxes fitted.  Headcode boxes are just cosmetic; the 24/0 and 24/1 subclass distinction was for operational and running purposes.

5000-5049 were 24/0;

5050-5150 were 24/1.

Edited by 'CHARD