Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Michael Martin (West Wales Wagon Works)

RJS1977

I was saddened to hear on Thursday (via the Teifi Valley Railway) that Michael Martin passed away this last week. His stand was a familiar sight at shows in both Wales and the Thames Valley - including my own, which he supported from its inception in 2008 until his diagnosis in late 2014. For several years he had asked me if there was a wagon he could do for the show and it is unfortunate that I was only able to get photos of the Snow wagon to him before his illness led him to curtail his activities. However even through his illness he continued to provide support to me as I liaised with Dapol directly. It was always nice to chat to him at shows and catch up on progress on rebuilding the TVR - he was genuinely one of the nicest people I know.

RIP Mike

• 3 months later...

I've only just found this out by visiting his website to see when his next show was scheduled. Very sad news, particularly as he seemed to be beating the illness for a while and re-invigorated his wagon business for quite a while, after first getting his diagnosis. A very pleasant gentleman to talk to about his wagons on the few occasions I did so at shows.

RIP

• 3 years later...