Rebuilding a Railway

drmditch

• 5 weeks later...

Progress! 

Post_019a.JPG.590e88c9bf3f84a74366d1dd39082e4c.JPG

The up and down lines on the bottom level now allow a continuous run all the way round the room and over the hinged section! The track levels seem fine. The board edge pieces of circuit-board are rather large, with 1" of track soldered down either side of a diagonal cut, I don't think that they are going to shift.

I'm considering level crossings to disguise them.

It all seems to work smoothly, although I haven't yet run a very long train over it.

Post_020.JPG.2f0e08e0134c0ae59ffabe4ae47b3e4b.JPG

There is also the start of a control panel. 

Post_021.JPG.e6b06dc7f3c69074fc8af0a38e0d276d.JPG

There are twenty isolation switches just for the lower-level storage and the main-line loops!

Edited by drmditch
Restoring Pictures
  • Like 8

• 2 months later...

The last few weeks have been taken up by re-working the old junction station. (Seen on 7th December 2015 above.) It was quite tricky changing the shape of the north end, and then lifting some of the ballasted pointwork. However here is the result.

Post_022.JPG.febc0da24810342177448a2afafad8f7.JPG

I'm quite pleased that I managed to salvage and re-locate my NER buffer stops. I know there are some excellent castings available, but these ones are all my own!

The track layout is now much improved. However, there is still so much to do! I really need to spend some time on the basic carpentry for the mid-level.

Some time however, has been taken up by the (empty) cattle train in the picture. I did think of modeling a loaded cattle train, but then there would have been all the bother with watering the poor animals regularly, and although I'm sure that plastic cattle don't need much water, my water cranes and tanks haven't been unpacked yet!

Edited by drmditch
Restoring Pictures
  • Like 5

• 6 months later...

Over the past few months, there has been progress! Not with the exciting parts, such as actually making models of anything, but with the mundane but slightly tricky carpentry needed to build a three-level layout.

The 'upper-deck' of the swing bridge for the door is now in place. Here it is just before the deck was fastened.

Post_027.jpg.27d56cb1ead0f10cfb6807e8b601b068.jpg

The entire mid-level, plus the gradient from the lower level is now constructed. Next task is a bridge at the other end of the room. This will be more 'prototypical', and based on the Deerness/Langley Moor Viaduct on the ECML. 

I might break off to complete a model of yet another cattle wagon, and then of course the delights of more track laying and wiring.

Relevant to track laying here is one of my 'make do and mend' ideas.

The Peco item labelled as a 'Catch Point' (below right) bears no resemblance that I can see to anything that I am happy with. It is also quite expensive.

A second hand insulfrog point bought quite cheaply at an exhibition can be cut down to make a better item, at least for my purposes.

Post_026a.JPG.774d24bcdbeaa793a19c5cdec7c65bc3.JPG

For reference, the NER spoke of 'catch points' on gradients, and 'safety points' for protecting the exits from sidings and loops.

(Edited to include sharper pictures)

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Having got the camera out this morning to improve the picture of the safety points, here are some more pictures of the 'swing bridge' structure.

Post_028.JPG.efd8abe130e1367de204520e90ed5d79.JPG

Test train with my Q6 (Not the Hornby one, despite the co-incidence of number) with a short freight traversing the track joints. The higher level deck is in place.

Post_029.JPG.a975ab60ec46c8f5d146d90dce07f8b8.JPG

The bridge partially swing open, showing the arrangements for the 'headshunt/hidden siding' which also has to cross the bridge, underneath the upper level. I've tried to make the exposed structures look a bit 'railway like' as well as being strong enough.

Post_030.JPG.d4fda054297bc2a17c8ac02131e8dd44.JPG

The south abutment shows the same intention, and the careful provision of rounded corners where 'older people' (ie me) might otherwise hurt themselves. 

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 8 months later...

There has been progress since the last post on this thread, but taking pictures is a bit tricky, partly because there is so much clutter in the railway room.

The basic carpentry is now complete for all three levels and for the cross-room viaduct. Track laying for the middle level is in progress. However, a great deal of time has been taken up with a bridge that crosses the garden doors at the south end of the room. This is exposed to full sunlight (unless I keep the blinds and curtains closed!)

The model is notionally based on the Deerness/Langley Moor Viaduct on the ECML  but adapted to single line form, and with a simpler form of girder work. I've used a Double Warren Truss as used by Thomas Bouch on the Belah Viaduct and the Tay Bridge. ( This is not as risky as it may sound, because some of the original Gilkes Wilson wrought-iron trusses were re-used on the replacement bridge, and we can still travel over them today!)

Post_07.JPG.135b8f926babe639eb5457a70d8739d6.JPG

Here is most of the eventual four span structure. Perhaps I should have taken the washing off the line before taking the picture!

Because of the situation, this model reverts to very elderly techniques using :
Card (from re-cycled cereal packets and other sources)
Matchsticks
UV stable varnish.

The only innovative idea I claim for this structure was working out the Double Warren Truss design in MS Word, printing this on ordinary printer paper, and then gluing this (using a spray contact adhesive) to thin card. 

Post_01.JPG.869ed88b2967d5da3c1df2c0f9d97b17.JPG

This was then cut out, and the webs, flanges, and straps built up using thin strips of card and matchsticks and quite a lot of sharp scalpel blades!

Post_02.JPG.a30e3ff0a7a5b21c70ae33aedcab8166.JPG

The resultant girder is 'representational' rather than an accurate model, but I will need twelve of them.

Post_03.JPG.829553fb67249ad62f26a9f06ea202b7.JPG

The viaduct is presumed to have been built in the 1870s, using wrought-iron Double Warren Truss girders, and strengthened sometime in the 1890s/early 20th century. (The NER did strengthen a number of bridges at this time.) 

Post_05.JPG.658028ece118bdc54d4ea6ce546eab66.JPG

Properly the central girder should have been replaced in steel, and probably in a plate girder form. However, because of the location of the model, I think it is more interesting to keep the 'see through' effect.

Post_04.JPG.b116344c40e75dfdb65a2fa2c0d2cc52.JPG

So, two spans are complete, and two of the remaining six girders are built. Only four to go!

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9
  • Round of applause 1

That bridge structure is very ingenious and very effective. Are you able to photograph it from the outside at all? I might look even better if you aren't pointing the camera towards the light.

Keep the updates coming!

• 3 weeks later...

Three out if the four spans of the girder bridge are made (well, nearly), and track laying on the mid-level line has progressed. 

As a rough guide to  the railway, here is a (very) rough  diagram I did some time ago:-

(By-the-way, the mid-level storage as the main storage is also under the high-level terminus.)

I now need to decide on a tricky piece of track design for the mid-level station.

The closest NER example to what I need is Gilling East, in all it's 19th Century glory with a scissors crossover for a junction between it's two relatively minor branch lines.

This is well described  in Patrick Howat's 'The Railways of Ryedale' with a signalling diagram provided on page 60. 

In this layout both platforms were bi-directional and both were signalled as passenger lines. Trains to/from  Malton and to/from Pickering could be signalled into either platform.

My attempt to reflect this is :-

post-3451-0-18443900-1527695460_thumb.jpg

There is only one platform line which will be bi-directional, and the loop line which will also be bi-directional will be freight-only.

This provides what the NER called a 'Preceding Place' and several books (especially 'A History of North Eastern Railway Signalling' ed Neil Mackay from NERA) will allow me to work out a signalling diagram.

The scissors crossover will be complex to make (although I have the required PECO items), and I am tempted to simplify the layout to reflect what was done at Gilling by 1955. (Shown on page 61 pf Mr Howat's book.)

post-3451-0-31420200-1527696422_thumb.jpg

My problem with this is twofold.

1. Owing to the complexity of the baseboard structure at this location, linking point motors to the re-located crossover would be difficult.

2. It also (although this does not show on my rather basic SCARM diagram) shortens the loop very considerably.

There is a third option, which provides the function I want, but doesn't seem to me to very prototypical, although, having said that is does have some resemblance to Border Counties Junction on the NCR.

post-3451-0-74225800-1527696965_thumb.jpg

As will be realised, this railway is definitely a long term project, and it will be some time before I can actually construct the signalling for this, and all the other, locations!

I would be very grateful for advice and opinions.

In the meantime, it's back to bridge girder construction and measuring and planning (but not yet cutting) a scissors crossover.

I think the NER didn't worry about complex pointwork, so why should I !

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 7 months later...

After some doubt about the proper colour for a late LNER bridge, and useful debate over on the LNER Forum, here are some pictures of a nearly completed bridge.

A poor picture, but it does show all four spans in context.

Post_101.jpg.314f329e495f8e1d2caf513867234c3d.jpg

Detail of one span

Post_102.jpg.838ac25d21715f055896e7b35deea6f6.jpg

Showing granite ballasted deck, ballast boards, walkways and handrails.

The whole thing looks better with a train crossing it.

Post_100.JPG.a4b59c3a6856a3534eef8eb4914fe88f.JPG

There is a bit of fettling up to do, especially over the piers, but overall I'm fairly pleased with the result.

The only materials that were purchased were brass strip  for the handrail stanchions, and piano wire for the handrails themselves. The plywood for the piers and the (actual) deck came from offcuts from construction. All the card came from re-cycled household materials, mostly from cereal packets. Do remember to use Shredded Wheat card to represent steel (stronger in tension) and Wheatabix for cast iron (safe in compression)! For finer details the packaging for some ladies hosiery contains some nice thin unglazed card. (M&S being the best obviously!)

I did make several experimental girders, that were rejected for the final assembly. The technique of printed paper glued to card and cut out with sharp scalpel blades is quite versatile, but is limited as regards the level of fine detail that can be produced. I wanted to have lattice sides to the trough girders (as on the extant Deerness Viaduct on the ECML), but was not happy with what I could produce. The templates for the steel plate girders though were produced using the same techniques. They also utilised slightly thicker packing card for building up the flanges.

If the sun shines today, I will try to take some more pictures of progress elsewhere on the railway, including two levels of track running over my 'swinging wedge'.

Edited by drmditch
Restoring Pictures
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I used to have a lifting flap construction across the entrance of my railway room but found it got too complicated and heavy when wanting crossing at multiple levels.

I took it down and made a fixed section that I could crawl under. Having seen your efforts I think I might have a go with something similar as crawling under is getting a bit much now.

Have you had any problems with distortion/movement at all?

Thank.

trustytrev.:)

Hello,

I used to have a lifting flap construction across the entrance of my railway room but found it got too complicated and heavy when wanting crossing at multiple levels.

I took it down and made a fixed section that I could crawl under. Having seen your efforts I think I might have a go with something similar as crawling under is getting a bit much now.

Have you had any problems with distortion/movement at all?

Thank.

trustytrev. :)

Not yet! As you can see above the structure is fairly solid. The abutments on each side are braced both to floor and the rest of the baseboard structure. They are screwed down to the floor, which is concrete beneath the laminate/insulation. The hinges, of which I used three, are heavy duty stainless steel. Which reminds me that they are about due for lubrication.

I try never to leave the bridge 'open', but always resting on the south abutment flange. It helps that (admittedly by accident) it is actually self closing. I may add a weight to re-inforce that effect. (As on some country gates.)

It took a lot of planning, measuring, and construction. The 'wedge' geometry is critical. The design does incorporate an emergency 'crawl though. The whole structure is made of good-quality birch ply. The most important of the support trusses is the internal one that runs on the radius of the arc of rotation, and this takes most weight. 

I will try to take some more pictures showing the tracks at both levels.

• 1 year later...

I have not posted on this thread for a while, and when I can to search for it just now - the 'Content I Started' Activity search wouldn't find it.

I have been making some progress, but my have recently taken a backward step with the turnout control wiring.

(See ... here...)

I will probably create another small thread to ask for further advice on controlling large layouts!.

• 2 months later...

I seem to be taking a long time re-building this layout.

There has been a lot of work laying, wiring, and building control panels.

To cope with this I have had to keep interest by building Toads, and Horse Boxes, and 5 and 6 plank wagons, and am currently in the midst of an NER Central Division (Type C2c) Signal cabin.

However, now the railway (and the railway room) needs a good tidy up, some housings built for wiring and point motors, and some buffer stops for the locomotive storage roads.

Then the top level boards can be lowered into place and the cross-room viaduct - for which the basic carpentry was done nearly three years ago!- can have track laid on it.

In the meantime however, if you don't mind mess and muddle and tools and wire reels everywhere, here are some pictures of progress.

Post_031.jpg.a028bd4e10608adafe35f9f4d995ae22.jpg

Post_032.jpg

Post_033.jpg

Post_034.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

17 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Wow!

Carpentry Central.

Thank you. Still a lot of finishing and varnishing to do though.

I really must try to finish painting the underside of the top station board. It looks so messy at the moment. Not that it's meant to be looked at that way of course. It's just that white will reflect light better for managing the storage sidings underneath.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am having a problem with my (previously) trustworthy Fleischmann turntable.

(This is in no-way part of the 'visible' railway but is part of my 'rest-of-the-world' storage siding system.)

I have created a separate thread for this,  ..... here.....  and if anyone with relevant expertise could advise I would be very grateful.

• 1 month later...

Gradual progress. I've been tidying and covering the surface-mounted point motors with neat (well I think so) cardboard covers.

You will also see the crank mechanisms built to allow PL-10 type motors to fit without being inconvenient.

Post_05.jpg.03f2f352934341369267b8ba13243d00.jpg

Post_07.jpg.6e2f8cc2c49e5f9186537d79fcb2de2b.jpg

Post_08.jpg.803d3a3f4eaca0f90d155dddcf0b9cc1.jpg

Post_09.jpg.8b67b90eaff63511f8746a988a9c81de.jpg

Post_10.jpg.06183d94e65ff66fe987bcba59bd5ec0.jpg

This is all in preparation for the grand 'lowering of the top level'. 

However, I have now realised that three (?) years ago when I ran the main (not 'mains') power circuits beneath all the fixed baseboard structures, I managed the Red, Black, and Green circuits, but omitted the Blue. This is the one which powers and controls the top level.

I did place some connector blocks, but now realise that they are in the wrong place!

I have spent most of the last two days grovelling underneath, drilling, fastening cable-guides, and threading cables.

Getting there!

(Sorry for irregular picture sizes. Struggling to cope with W10.)

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Happy New Year to everybody, and I am very grateful that I have a railway to help cope with lockdown.

Here are some pictures of progress:

Post_01_03a.jpg.d4cf6e49ebce01f14b09ffdd531013f7.jpg

The South End of the Railway Room.

Post_01_04.jpg.1d9496e6afad6b0a10365c0fc7a7bec5.jpg

Convenience and comfort of the Workbench.

Post_01_06.jpg.a2695936c5e00d56dea5e00403fe1a0d.jpg

Looking North from the 'modelling chair'. For this design of railway swivelling chairs are essential.

Post_01_08.jpg.1ae524eacdd433d72ed8f5be204410f4.jpg

Recent work on girder bridge construction. Based on ex NER bridges in the area, of which the one surviving is the Albion Road bridge at Langley Moor.

Mine is made of re-cycled cardboard rather than wrought-iron. Sorry about the clunky screw fixings. They are just there until the girders are finally fixed.

There were something over 320 pieces of card to cut and fasten to make this, and still I haven't dealt with the rivets!

I'm now back to track-laying for the upper-level.

If anyone knows of any convenient source for small LED light strips please could you let me know?

My three level design works - but I need to be able to see what trains are in the lowest level sidings!

Edited by drmditch
Restoring Pictures
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, drmditch said:

If anyone knows of any convenient source for small LED light strips please could you let me know?

My three level design works - but I need to be able to see what trains are in the lowest level sidings!

I while back I purchased some small LED light strips for use under cupboard (or inside them), something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabinet-Lighting-Flexible-Cupboard-WarmWhite/dp/B07JJMD6Q7/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=227WT76LSH2PS&dchild=1&keywords=cupboard+lights&qid=1610267911&sprefix=cupboard%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-4-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyRThaNE44OThQWE9GJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTY2MDQ3VVVMUTU5VURRV1pLJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA5NzA2NzMxQTY1UTYwMTFUWURJJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

A couple of quick pictures of WIP on the upper station approaches and the locomotive facilities.

I will take some better ones later.

Post_01x1.jpg.ba4b1cb0ffe4d3160edd954cb74d2d1f.jpg

I will be asking for help and/or comments on the signalling plan when I've got the terminal station wired and basically functional.

Sorry for all the mess - it's amazing how tools and materials migrate to a work area!

Post_02x.jpg.e2fd790185673bc39977707a22df5e16.jpg

Edited by drmditch
Restoring pictures
  • Like 7

• 10 months later...

No posts on here for a long time. One reason being that I have been distracted by a rather complicated three-part project building an ex-NER Officer's Inspection Saloon.

This is a Dia.85 vehicle, using a drawing published by NERA. It is different a little different to the Dia.B types one of which is currently being restored by a most helpful group at the Aln Valley Railway.

(The sometimes available D&S kit is for the Dia.B)

My project has three parts.

Building the saloon is the First Part. It is not yet complete, but now looks like this!

Post_24.jpg.283f0d1b7a8b49572e72080302da795a.jpg

Post_25.jpg.14f673ff62113a9aaf9f51afb4ebdfc3.jpg

The Second Part of the project uses this:-

Post_19.jpg.630c4b204810a139156aec303b78edb2.jpgPost_20.jpg.4332cc1cc81fb872bccd89165d27ab5f.jpg

This fits into the end of the vehicle, and peers out over the veranda.

Post_25a.jpg.677ece4f6264f7ed9bd619277974f925.jpg

I had hoped that it would work as a wi-fi camera, and it may yet.

(The instructions presumably translated from Chinese are a little un-clear.)

However, the camera can be switched on/off in place, utilising a small hole in the vehicle roof, and since the roof is removable the camera can be taken out and plugged into a USB port on a larger computer.

The imagery is not brilliant, but it works! it seems to focus on the centre middle-distance. I have only had it working since yesterday morning, but the test videos suggest it will be a most useful tool. It shows up all the flaws in my modelling from the Driver's/Inspecting Officer's view point. Just using standard MS tools, here are couple of still pictures.

Post_26.jpg.61b5ec28e345769f4a01783457db2ca6.jpg

Post_27.jpg.0142a1e99dca52b62df05ecc10ba75e1.jpg

I don't dare show the videos until I have learned how to edit them.

Now I really need to spend time working on the layout properly.

(However, the Third Part of this project is now pushing itself forward!)

Edited by drmditch
Tidying pictures
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 1 month later...

Your inspection saloon looks great. Which 2-2-4T are you building to power it please? I can feel a project coming on...

Cheers

Mark

Edited by MarkC