• RMweb Premium

Yes, 0.6mm thickness is the minimum for 3D printing, which, with the corrugations, ends up 1mm overall. (0.6mm is approx 25 thou, or a scale 3 inches-ish)

I hope you had other things to buy so that Shapeways postage was offset a bit, otherwise, these would work out expensive.

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

A little more progress on the shanty town. There is a temporary scaffold over the frames to one of the S15's being restored by the Urie Society, which has proven a little bit of a challenge. Some of this is a little freelance, and the frames are something of a test to see if 10 thou plastic is up to the task long term, without warping too much, so will likely be replaced with something more accurate to S15 frames in the future. I think I may have compressed this area a little, possibly by making the Carriage/Boiler shop slightly too long, so I need to be careful not to make things look crammed in. 

The scaffold is .3mm wire, primed then glued together as soldering this would have been nigh on impossible. The rather cruel enlargement in the photos shows some joins & paintwork need to be tidied up!

post-1467-0-73135900-1502658282_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-02336400-1502658315_thumb.jpg

I had an idea about making thin transparent corrugated plastic, and tried scoring some lines into 10 thou plastic sheet with an old knife blade. It was then washed over with a yellow/grey mix to give it an aged look. I think it's worked quite well for the type of sheet I needed in this area, but it's quite a laborious method! 

Cheers, 

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

The transparent plastic has come out superb. How did you ensure such an even spacing to the scribes. That is incredibly difficult to do as this scale.

All by eye! In this size I don't think there is a surefire way of ensuring perfectly consistent spacing, so provided the end result looks passable, I'm not going to worry if it's not mm perfect. Of course any lines that appear to be too close together could be used to represent a join in the panels!

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Just needs some humans

I'm hoping Bachmann's next scenecraft figures are 'people standing around drinking tea'

I can't help but notice perches for those 3D printed pigeons!

Ahh crap, I knew there was something else I should have added to my last shapeways order! Next time...

Tom.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

It'd be good to meet any RMweb folk at the show, so please don't be shy!!

I'm looking really looking forward to the weekend, and even though Ropley is still very much a work in progress I hope it will give some idea of what is possible in N these days. 

Cheers, 

Tom.  

• RMweb Gold

I had a great weekend at the Uckfield show with Ropley, and once I'd sorted out a broken connection the layout performed well, operator induced errors aside!

Thanks to all those who came over for a chat. It was good to put a few faces to names.

Ropley will be making another public appearance this Sunday at the Liphook Model Railway Club open day, details here: https://www.liphookmrc.com/open-day. It's only the scenic section on this occasion so it won't be in full operation but it would be good to have a chat with any RMwebbbers who happen to be in attendance!

Cheers, 

Tom.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Exhibting Ropley at Uckfield was something of an enthusiasm boost, and so work continues on the 'shanty town' area of the layout. 

The final, scratch built, container has been finished off with it's corrugated porch area, the roof being produced in the same manner as the previous transparent corrugated material described further up in the thread. I made this particular container from scratch as it is nothing like the more modern versions either side of it. I have no idea as to it's origins, but it adds a little variety! 

post-1467-0-07014300-1509141142_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-40766900-1509141237_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-36372400-1509141312_thumb.jpg

I've also had a second go at making up some frames from an under restoration S15. These are hopefully a little more accurate than the first attempt. 

post-1467-0-20980700-1509141447_thumb.jpg

All that remains is to paint & weather the TTA tank, bed that in on a short piece of track then continue with the fencing and add a little more planting. 

Cheers, 

Tom.  

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ben.

The base layer on the embankment is treemendus teddy bear fabric, painted & trimmed down in height somewhat. The 'brambles' are some fibrous teddy bear stuffing I found a while back, teased out & sprayed brown with fine scatter applied whilst the paint is still wet. The same stuffing was used for the scrub around the containers & sheds, but this time a thin piece of wire was wrapped tightly around the middle and then the stuffing teased out into a rough bush shape before being trimmed. 

Tom. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

With these dark evenings, the tree factory has sprung back into life, starting with the two small trees along the front of the board.

post-1467-0-92903900-1509909327_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-64596800-1509909472_thumb.jpg

Time to move on to the rear tree line now!

Tom.  

• Like 13

It's great to see more progress on Ropley Tom; your colour pallete is just right. It's just looks so right.

A cheeky request; would it be possible to do a few step-by-step photos when you tackle the next crop of trees? The death of Photobucket has also killed many of the photos from the US site linked in your blog post on the topic. The results you're getting are ace.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, will do!

It’s a shame the photos from the other site have gone, that guys work was some of the best I have seen when it comes to model trees.

Tom.