• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi TomE, this is a wonderful layout. Might I ask how you went about building the staithes? I see they were already in-situ in post #1 and I've got to build quite alot myself! 

Also, the shed on the first page really is quite striking, could I ask what size of evergreen car siding you used? Tiny thumbnails on various manufacturers websites aren't helping at all...

Edited by Lacathedrale

• RMweb Gold

Hi TomE, this is a wonderful layout. Might I ask how you went about building the staithes? I see they were already in-situ in post #1 and I've got to build quite alot myself! 

Also, the shed on the first page really is quite striking, could I ask what size of evergreen car siding you used? Tiny thumbnails on various manufacturers websites aren't helping at all...

Thank you for the kind comment!

The staithes were made from 30thou plastic, cut to the basic outline of each side in it's entire length and then each plank scribed to match photos of the real thing. The wood effect was created by randomly scraping across each plank with an old knife blade before being given a light sanding with wet&dry paper. The metal stantions between planks were 10thou plastic glued at the relevant intervals. The whole thing was then sprayed with Railmatch sleeper grime before individual plans were picked out using various blends of black, brown, white and green weathering powders. 

The Evergreen sheet used on the shed is 2025 V Grove 0.25" spacing. 

Hope this helps!

Cheers, 

Tom. 

• RMweb Premium

I've only recently picked up on this thread, and look forward to seeing future developments; after over 40 years of modelling in 00, I'm just starting out in N and look upon this layout as the standard I'd like to achieve, particularly with regard to the structures and scenery. Great stuff Tom, please keep the updates coming!

BTW - now that 73096 has returned to the Mid-Hants, will a green Standard 5 be making an appearance?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Crikey, scribing every plank! I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the attention elsewhere!

How are you (mechanically) laying the track? finding NMRA/NEM N-gauge rollers/etc. compatible with code 40 BH seems like an impossibility...

Well, not quite every plank. I didn't bother with those hidden by the pile of coal, or those hidden by the embankment! 

The track on Ropley is all 2mm Scale Association Easitrac, and the points are all handbuilt to questionable tolerances! The only gauge I used was a standard 2mm roller gauge. You can get Code 40 N Gauge gauges here: https://www.handlaidtrack.com/42-110, but they are the triangular 3 point type. 

I've only recently picked up on this thread, and look forward to seeing future developments; after over 40 years of modelling in 00, I'm just starting out in N and look upon this layout as the standard I'd like to achieve, particularly with regard to the structures and scenery. Great stuff Tom, please keep the updates coming!

BTW - now that 73096 has returned to the Mid-Hants, will a green Standard 5 be making an appearance?

Thanks Colin. 

Yep, I already have a Farish Standard 5 waiting to be re-numbered to 73096! I may hold off though until there is news on what livery it will appear in once overhauled. I was surprised, but very pleased, to see it return to the MHR. 

Cheers, 

Tom.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Colin. 

Yep, I already have a Farish Standard 5 waiting to be re-numbered to 73096! I may hold off though until there is news on what livery it will appear in once overhauled. I was surprised, but very pleased, to see it return to the MHR. 

Cheers, 

Tom.

Given the alternative option presented to the railway it was a no brainer to fork out and buy the thing!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Given the alternative option presented to the railway it was a no brainer to fork out and buy the thing!

Which I guess was pay for the overhaul then give it back to JB? 

Tom. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Got to say that on the face of it, paying to overhaul a loco that might never have returned to work on the line sounds like a very bad deal!

I was delighted to read that the 5MT has returned, it’s one of my favourite locos in preservation - IMHO the loco has always belonged there and fills a big gap in the MHR’s BR Standard collection.

• Like 1

The track on Ropley is all 2mm Scale Association Easitrac, and the points are all handbuilt to questionable tolerances! The only gauge I used was a standard 2mm roller gauge. You can get Code 40 N Gauge gauges here: https://www.handlaidtrack.com/42-110, but they are the triangular 3 point type. 

Cheers, 

Tom.  

Hi Tom, I can understand the use of a triangle gauge for regular track, but how did you manage with things like check rails and flangeways just using it? Justin1985 mentioned that he has used brass sheet with notches cut into a rudimentary gauge held vertically which seems doable.

Cheers,

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom, I can understand the use of a triangle gauge for regular track, but how did you manage with things like check rails and flangeways just using it? Justin1985 mentioned that he has used brass sheet with notches cut into a rudimentary gauge held vertically which seems doable.

Cheers,

All done by eye and with a steel ruler for frog areas, and with constant running through of a wagon or coach to make sure nothing was catching and all was good! This rudimentary approach only really works because I'm using N Gauge stock with less critical clearances being required. If I had been building 2mm FS track I would have had to use proper gauges & jigs. 

For N Gauge these days I would recommend the FiNetrax system, if code 40 Bullhead is what you need. Their point kits don't require jigs as the chairs use a hole/peg system: https://www.britishfinescale.com 

Unfortunately this wasn't available when I started Ropley, hence my use of easitrac components. 

Tom. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all. 

I was somewhat surprised, and massively humbled, to see my name appear in one of the categories in the British Model Railway Awards as I was completing my votes earlier, so I'd just like to say a heartfelt thank you to all those who put my name forward. I truly appreciate it and to see my name next to some of the greats of the hobby is, well, amazing, although also a little bizarre if I'm honest!  

Anyway, I've finally managed to break Ropley out from it's Christmas hibernation, so hopefully there will be more frequent updates here, but for now:

post-1467-0-94318800-1516737479_thumb.jpg

Cheers, 

Tom. 

• Like 19

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. 

I was somewhat surprised, and massively humbled, to see my name appear in one of the categories in the British Model Railway Awards as I was completing my votes earlier, so I'd just like to say a heartfelt thank you to all those who put my name forward. I truly appreciate it and to see my name next to some of the greats of the hobby is, well, amazing, although also a little bizarre if I'm honest!  

Anyway, I've finally managed to break Ropley out from it's Christmas hibernation, so hopefully there will be more frequent updates here, but for now:

attachicon.gifCU0J9693.jpg

Cheers, 

Tom. 

Tom,

I think that photos shows why you've been nominated, truly superb modelling, could very easily be fooled in thinking that was real.

Very well deserved!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom, that's a lovely photo - are you using some kind of specific lighting, or a photo filter too get that washed out effect? I find that colour scaling is the most obviously jarring mistake people make and you seem to have nailed it there.

Thanks Bill. 

I used one of the vintage filters in Pixelmator, Syringa in this case. It just takes the edge off the florescent lighting which in photos can be a bit harsh sometimes. 

Tom.  

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all. 

It's amazing what a trip to a show can do for your enthusiasm! Alexandra Palace at the weekend has given me a much needed prod to get back on the modelling horse after a few months in the doldrums, so today I've finished re-painting a Farish RMB to match the SO's finished earlier. A little tidying up, decals, varnish and some BR4 bogies weathering up and it'll be done. 

post-1467-0-74429900-1522080372_thumb.jpg

Cheers, 

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant, the shades of green 'don't quite match' to a very pleasing degree!

Points to Will! I wondered if anyone would notice. I did add a little black to the green this time to give a very slight variation, something you see on the real stock. 

Tom.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

More progress on the RMB, after having to re-order coach lettering and BR logos due to my first sheet disappearing into the modelling black hole that connects all workbenches to some parallel universe where they will never be short of small parts and lost decal sheets.....!

Pretty much there bar a few minor finishing touches, and it's now riding on the correct B4 bogies for the RMBs on the MHR. 

post-1467-0-39306200-1522358443_thumb.jpg 

A BCK has been stripped and will be up next. This coach painting is quite therapeutic! 

Cheers, 

Tom.  

Edited by TomE
  • Like 12