• RMweb Gold
On 22/02/2020 at 22:16, Duncan. said:

Hi Tom,

I would like to see you a tree following the same technique but using seamoss as the base, mine follow the same process except I haven't added leaves at the last stage. And to be pedantic (sorry) I would say most trunks and branches are shades of grey and perhaps green if moss is present. I do like the density of the branches.

Cheers

Duncan

p06tjlkc.jpg

Hi Duncan.

I have used Seamoss in the past, but not on any of the other trees already completed for the layout so I'm sticking to the same method for continuity reasons! I only used sleeper grime on these as it's the only near suitable colour I had in a rattle can, plus these trees are for the very rear of the layout and the trunks are largely obscured by other things, but I do need to make some more prominent trees for which I'll use a more appropriate colour. 

Cheers, 

Tom.  

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Kylestrome said:

Tom, nice technique for 2mm trees. :good:

You didn’t say how you are sticking on the fibres. PVA, spray glue ...?

David

Hi David.

I've been using spray glue. Just a light dusting and trying to avoid getting it on the trunk, which it turns out is not easy when the spray is all but invisible and the tree is 2mm scale!!

Cheers, 

Tom.  

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all. 

Things are starting to fall into place now around on top of the embankment. I've been putting off this area for a long time and it's good to finally start to see it progress. 

the shelter between the two cabins over the patio area is complete, and I have been slowly creating more of the hedgerow/tree line that runs behind these buildings. The one thing that has had me stumped for a long time is getting 2mm scale cut grass to look right. The latest effort below uses 1mm static grass, and looks ok length wise I think. The colour needs work but I don't think it's too far off for a late summers day, this is just a test section made by smearing PVA onto a sheet of plastic, applying the fibres then pealing it off once dry. A sort of transparent grass matt. 

The only issue I have now is how to stop the 1mm fibres from going everywhere. Even from this tiny test section i'm still finding them all over the flat!

A24BAB07-3F5E-4CC3-8C9B-C4EE227E4FF3_1_201_a.jpeg.cbdb416877b97767b413d55963bf0e8e.jpeg

C3AAD892-5287-4CA9-8269-C808DAA0B455_1_201_a.jpeg.247570baabe959c4d9c0a250c2422168.jpeg

Cheers, 

Tom.  

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks! Hoping to make some more progress over the next few months now things have settled at work a bit and it doesn’t look like there’ll be much else to do down here in Tier 4 land for a while! 

Tom. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, TomE said:

Thanks! Hoping to make some more progress over the next few months now things have settled at work a bit and it doesn’t look like there’ll be much else to do down here in Tier 4 land for a while! 

Tom. 

I can only say that thank god we’ve all got a hobby that we enjoy...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MikeTrice said:

Someone already is

3D printing really is opening up possibilities for model railways and making many projects viable in a more realistic time frame.  There is, of course, another model of KX in N gauge, but I haven’t heard much of it recently. 

Tim

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, CF MRC said:

3D printing really is opening up possibilities for model railways and making many projects viable in a more realistic time frame.  

It's not just the speed, it's the accuracy of the modelling and the quality of the finish that it allows, something that previously was only possible for the most skilled and experienced model makers. (This is not to say that those using 3D modelling don't fall into these categories themselves, Tom's work clearly demonstrates this). 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all, to be honest I’m amazed it printed at all it’s complete form! 

I’m trying a slightly different approach by removing the columns and printing the walkway separately. This shows promise as I can angle it slightly to reduce the print surface area and the distortions seen in the full print are now gone. 

B359F783-CC03-49D6-A3F4-627B6CDE7B31.jpeg.d8f4475ef3e140489daf15db581926b8.jpeg

360417E7-A740-4B7A-A70B-E204C400BEA8.jpeg.c9c505712dd9d4b10ad31e2e93fc83af.jpeg

I do need to go back and adjust the geometry of the lattice, I haven’t quite got it right and now I’ve noticed it’s bugging me :rolleyes:

Tom. 

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

I’ve started adding rivet detail to the large panels, a task made significantly less tedious by the create pattern on a path function in fusion! 

ive also added a rough and ready version of the carriage & boiler workshop to make sure I get the relationship between that and the bridge correct at the entrance to the viewing gallery. 

I still have a few question marks over the the supporting columns for the side closest to the shed but hopefully I can work out the positioning of these and their style from photos on the web. 

80AF67CA-6CAE-40A9-AE7D-125400F079E5.jpeg.9584ad623a0d7e93424a9ee04f71eb11.jpeg

It’s possible ive made the steps a fraction too wide, but at least I can adjust this easily before printing. 

Tom. 

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1