• RMweb Gold

Ah good, not sure what I'm on, probably won't know till the day, but would hope to say hi to you.

I'm driving the 9f and am rostered on the 09-45 Alresford-Alton, the 10-40 Alton-Alres, 11-35 Alres-Alton,12-40 ex Alton, get off at Ropley. For once we have a few crews wanting the day so we get lunchtime relief at 13-05 till13-43 (they do Ropley to Alresford and back) we then jump on the thing at Ropley, up to Alton then 14-45 ex Alton to Ropley when, for us, that's it for the day. We're supposed then to help out in yard till booking off at 17-30 but this will probably involve tea drinking..

There you are, with all that info you should be able to avoid me quite easily.

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm down there driving on the 17th, 21st, and 26th of this month, say hello if you come down then.

I look forward to seeing you Phil, I am guard on the first train out of Alton on 17th and 20th. If anyone else on here is going to be around please come and say hello.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all.

A little more work on the repainted MK.1 accomplished this morning, with decals applied and underframe weathered. Still a few final details to do, and I'm leaning heavily towards removing those oversize roof ribs before the roof is weathered. 

The stock on the MHR always seems to be kept in a decent clean state, despite it all being permanently stored outside, so I didn't go overboard on the bodyside weathering with just a light misting of frame dirt over a gloss finish. 

post-1467-0-21098200-1487254896_thumb.jpg

I have of course now made a rod for my own back by doing this coach, as it just highlights how wrong stock in BR SR green looks in this environment, so the entire fleet will now need to be repainted to match. Time to stock up on toothbrushes, Superstrip and marigolds! 

Edited to add, I notice that Bachmann appear to have retooled the window mouldings for the Mk.1, with the heavy prismatic effect evident on the first releases now significantly reduced. A very welcome development! All I need now Mr.Bachmann is that MK.1 Griddle.........

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

A few more hours work on the roof this afternoon. Ribs removed, undercoated with primer then dry brushed with a rust/aluminium colour before Maskol was dabbed on randomly and the top coat sprayed. The Maskol was then removed to give the impression of the pealing paint top layer as per the prototype on the pervious page.  

post-1467-0-91430900-1487284617_thumb.jpg

Removing the ribs makes a huge difference to the appearance, so another task added to the list for the remaining coach fleet!

Cheers, 

Tom.  

• Like 8

I was at the gala as well today. A very enjoyable day particularly as the weather perked up. Busy but not crowded. Particularly enjoyed trip up from Alton at 1120 towards Alresford behind the Black 5. The 9F was also impressive departing Alresford around 1335. Smart acceleration up the hill towards Ropley

David

Brilliant stuff Tom. The original Bachman green always had too much of a camoflauging effect against your green bank.. the lighter green makes the model train 200% more visible and gives it chance to compete with the scenic modelling. It also very effectively disguises the 'out of the box ness' of the mark ones!

You'll recall the same 'visibility' consideration is why I favour crimson and cream mark ones over maroon ones for Victoria Bridge, despite the modern day SVR having a set of both. In real life I actually prefer the duller 1960s look!

• RMweb Gold

I was at the gala as well today. A very enjoyable day particularly as the weather perked up. Busy but not crowded. Particularly enjoyed trip up from Alton at 1120 towards Alresford behind the Black 5. The 9F was also impressive departing Alresford around 1335. Smart acceleration up the hill towards Ropley

David

You can't help but accelerate smartly on the 9f...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good to

meet you today Tom, hope you enjoyed it. As I said give me a yell if you want to look at anything specific

Likewise Phil, and many thanks for the offer, i'll be in touch!

I really enjoyed the Gala today, the 'spirited' departure from Alton behind the 9F being a definate highlight. It started a bit foggy and cold, which meant almost everything was shrouded steam whilst leaving the yard, but by late afternoon the sun was making itself known and the spot by Northside Crossing had some lovely lighting. 

Below is a short video from today. I purposely tried to avoid taking video from my usual spot in the yard this time!

Anyone at a loose end this weekend and in the area could do worse than pop down to the line for a trip!

Cheers, 

Tom.  

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Yep that was me, it turned into a long day in the end as our relief driver had to go home due to family issues. Shame I didn't know it was you.

Edit in response to clearwater's post

Edited by PhilH

Yep that was me, it turned into a long day in the end as our relief driver had to go home due to family issues. Shame I didn't know it was you.

Edit in response to clearwater's post

We'll let you know if we're there again. My son got home and suggested to his mum we went again next weekend. Safe to assume he liked it!

• Like 1

I don't think the Top Gear/Grand Tour production team have anything to worry about,

Not so sure; I thought it was rather good when I watched the first clip last night and if your filming and editing gets as good as your attention to detail in the modelling I think they should be seriously worried. ;)

• RMweb Gold

The standard of video achivable a the 'budget' end today helps I guess, that was all shot on an iPhone 7plus and edited in iMovie, which is free (if you don't include the price of the Mac!)

The only issue I've found is that when using a tripod, the vibrations from passing trains play hell with the optical image stabilisation in the phone, as you can see in the shot of the Ivatt at 1:03.

Tom. 

• RMweb Gold

I am coming to the conclusion that TomE is one of those really annoying people that does everything well ;-)

Being serious that coach looks excellent, you captured the look of the roof perfectly. When you are ready perhaps you can bring the layout down for one of the galas?

Roy

• Like 1

I am coming to the conclusion that TomE is one of those really annoying people that does everything well ;-)

Being serious that coach looks excellent, you captured the look of the roof perfectly. When you are ready perhaps you can bring the layout down for one of the galas?

Roy

You have obviously never heard him sing...

PS. Tom, I'm keen to have a go at de-ribbing my rooftops, any useful hints?

• RMweb Gold

You have obviously never heard him sing...

PS. Tom, I'm keen to have a go at de-ribbing my rooftops, any useful hints?

Ha, that's not far from the truth! I wouldn't want to inflict that on anyone!

I've removed the ribs on mine with 600 grade wet & dry, cut into very small pieces to avoid accidentally removing the ventilators. Don't worry about it being too rough, you still need a bit of texture on the roof, and don't worry if you don't completely remove all trace of the ribs as they do exist on the real things, just not as mountainous as modelled by Bachmann! 

Tom.  

• RMweb Premium

I've removed the ribs on mine with 600 grade wet & dry, cut into very small pieces to avoid accidentally removing the ventilators. Don't worry about it being too rough, you still need a bit of texture on the roof, and don't worry if you don't completely remove all trace of the ribs as they do exist on the real things, just not as mountainous as modelled by Bachmann! 

Tom.

Definitely going to give it a go, coach and video both look great

Cheers

Simon