Dapol Black Label A4

Coldgunner

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information%2Fnews&news_id=140#.Vl1xO-JKVoO

Due for release in March 2016, the Dapol L.N.E.R. A4 class locomotives is the first in a new series setting a new benchmark for 00 gauge models, breaking boundaries and offering exciting, realistic operation with features not seen before in this scale. All variants in the series are genuine working models incorporating simple to use features and with the exceptional attention to detail expected in a collectors grade model. Each model in this series will offer the confidence of mind of a Dapol No Quibble 2 Year parts and labour warranty.

Silver%20Fox%202.jpgSilver%20Fox%201.jpg

Die-cast metal, etched and turned parts have been extensively used giving a feeling of high quality, strength and weight. Our silent-drive mechanism ensures responsive, smooth, quiet running. Operating lamps and a bespoke integrated factory fitted sound system are featured. All work on both DC and DCC, combined with synchronised Chuffs, Smoke and emission of realistic steam from the whistle will achieve a new level of operation realism on your railway. Multiple speakers ensure accurate reproduction of sound from very low mechanical sounds, to high pitched steam and whistle sounds and ensures good reproduction both in your train room and at an exhibition.

FEATURES

·         Synchronised puffing smoke with chuffing sound

·         Authentic sound recorded from ‘Bittern’

·         Short whistle with simulated steam

·         Long whistle with simulated steam

·         Speakers installed in both locomotive and tender for more realistic sounds

·         Working front lamps, that can be switched on/off in DCC mode

·         Locomotive and tender bodies in die-cast metal

·         Locomotive chassis in die-cast metal

·         Finely detailed wheels and valve gear including lubricators.

·         Sprung driving wheel

·         Sliding cab roof ventilators

·         Choice of cartazzi truck (pivoting for tight curves, limited travel for larger layouts)

·         Glazed cab windows

·         Locomotive crew

·         Etched fire tool set

·         Sprung buffers

·         Correct tender and locomotive body variations for each model

·         Real coal fixed in tender

·         Authentic decorations

·         Etched nameplates

·         Superb back EMF motor control in DC and DCC

·         Silent drive mechanism

·         Limited edition of only 320 units (400 for Mallard) with numbered certificate

·         Collectors presentation case

Retail price £399.95

Have to be a rich poor man to buy it at just under £400. :no:

Does look nice though...I hope Dapol don't get their fingers burned. They have chosen a VERY difficult, yet well known prototype to model.

• RMweb Gold

A question on the sound. Does anyone know if the original single chimney A4s sound different to the later double chimney versions?

David

I've never heard a single chimney version, but I would have thought that there would have been a significant difference as it was a Kylchap exhaust system which necessitated the double chimney.

I would imagine that this would have resulted in a totally different exhaust sound. Hopefully others on here would be able to state definitively if this was the case or not.

A question on the sound. Does anyone know if the original single chimney A4s sound different to the later double chimney versions?

David

I think the answer is, "yes". I had always assumed, without thinking about it (black mark for me), that the single chimney A4s were Kylchaps. My eyebrows rose fairly recently when I discovered that they were plain chimneys. I have read comments about "the thin, rasping exhaust of the Kylchap" and that it was much quieter at speed than a plain chimney. All the A4s were given double Kylchaps in the end, so there isn't one to record. I wonder how this will be got around. Plain chimney A3 recording perhaps? I hope the matter isn't ignored.

That was my assumption too based on comments in the differences in the King/Castle before and after changes to their chimney.  I think the LNER had a licence cost issue with Kylchaps hence they were only on a few engines. 

I know it sounds like a pedantic point to raise but for a high spec engine, these are the details they should be trying to get correct!

That was my assumption too based on comments in the differences in the King/Castle before and after changes to their chimney.  I think the LNER had a licence cost issue with Kylchaps hence they were only on a few engines. 

I know it sounds like a pedantic point to raise but for a high spec engine, these are the details they should be trying to get correct!

I don't think you're being pedantic at all and I agree that they should try to get the sound correct. They might just manage an extra sale or two if the sound is different on the two!

As to licence costs, I think you're right. I hope I recall correctly that the patents had lapsed in BR days and those at the top were persuaded to permit A3s to be fitted with Kylchap double chimneys as well.

On a more 'basic' level, what offends my eye most are the 3 inch diameter handles to the lamps and the over sized handrail knobs.  There are other 'little' things too that tend to spoil the otherwise fine scale appearance, including the exposed coloured wires to the lamps, not that I'll be buying one, anyway. Not my region... and not my price-range either. 

Looking at the list at the start of this thread, with specific regard to 'correct tender and locomotive body variations for each model', am I the only one to have noticed that SILVER FOX has the wrong tender? None of the four silver A4s (in silver) ever towed a 1928 ex-A1/A3 corridor tender (the sort shown in the picture) - they were all built new with streamlined corridor tenders - no beading, small turn-in to the tank sides at the front and the rear curved to match the streamlined stock. In fact, SILVER FOX only ever towed this type of tender its whole life, whatever its livery. 

Looking at the list at the start of this thread, with specific regard to 'correct tender and locomotive body variations for each model', am I the only one to have noticed that SILVER FOX has the wrong tender? None of the four silver A4s (in silver) ever towed a 1928 ex-A1/A3 corridor tender (the sort shown in the picture) - they were all built new with streamlined corridor tenders - no beading, small turn-in to the tank sides at the front and the rear curved to match the streamlined stock. In fact, SILVER FOX only ever towed this type of tender its whole life, whatever its livery. 

Dapol on its website claims: "Correct tender and locomotive body variations for each model." It's also stated that: "The above images are of the First Eps and are subject to further improvement and correction."

Going by some of the amendments seen on other models, Dapol seems to be listening. It might be no harm to point this out directly and I'm sure it would carry more weight coming from you than from an idiot like me.

Great film! Other than the obvious, what's noticeable is the comparatively short rake of the train

David

Absolutely. Fixed formation in order to ensure that the high-speed timing could be adhered to. I have seen pictures of the interiors of the coaches and they are stunning. Art Deco at its finest. I would say a job for Rapido but after the problems designing the APT-E to cope with second radius, I dread to think what Jason would say when he found out about the fairings between the coaches!

Interesting project. I fear Dapol have missed a trick on making an 'ultimate A4'. The Hornby model is very very good, let down really only by the lack of camber on the nose front, and the compromises in the valance/bogie area to allow 2nd rad curves . Dapol have, if anything, over-cambered the nose; this is exacerbated by the top of the cods mouth being 'curved'. What on earth is going on there? Cods mouth door itself is also a bit overdone in its lateral curve.

The line of the hinges is certainly flat, as this picture of 60010/4489 clearly demonstrates

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25459770@N03/8468691402

If anything it looks less finescale in terms of detail than Hornby, especially with the lights and exposed wires (I want to chose my own lamps and headcode psoition). Whistle seems a bit beefy too, and the cab roof is sitting proud of the boiler...

Valve gear and wheels ARE (from these pictures) nice and better than Hornby.

I'll be waiting to see any final product before even thinking about ordering.... but at present there is a slight 'Hornby Dublo' aura about these pictures.

If there is one loco asking to be laser scanned, it is the complex compound curves of the A4!

EDITED to include link to photo of DoC

Dapol on its website claims: "Correct tender and locomotive body variations for each model." It's also stated that: "The above images are of the First Eps and are subject to further improvement and correction."

Going by some of the amendments seen on other models, Dapol seems to be listening. It might be no harm to point this out directly and I'm sure it would carry more weight coming from you than from an idiot like me.

Many thanks,

I did point it out to the chap on the Dapol stand at Warley and he said he wasn't the designer. I assume, then, that he'll tell the designer. 

. All the A4s were given double Kylchaps in the end, so there isn't one to record. I wonder how this will be got around. Plain chimney A3 recording perhaps? I hope the matter isn't ignored.

The nearest thing available is either the surviving A3 when running in single chimney form or the V2, on the grounds of all from the same design shop and part of the same development line.

You would be a good man likely to get a hearing, at least I should hope so! 

While about it, if you care to mention that the roll under of the valance at the front is WRONG! as it is on pretty much all previous models: it should follow the radius of the cylinder cladding and radically changes the appearance. There's not a hint of a crisp edge in the bottom of the valancing above the bogie wheels, but rather the turn under of a smooth curve. It's possible to do considerably better than what Dapol are showing.

For the best part of £400, I hope they do something about the wires to those lights!

As its diecast, the body doesn't (to my eyes) have the finesse of either Hornby or Bachmann.

I dont like the vac pipe either!

Ok, nit picking?.......Not for £400

For the best part of £400, I hope they do something about the wires to those lights!....

It might have been better if they didn't have lamps at all, since the photo suggests that they are a permanent fixture. You wouldn't be able to display the correct lamps for running light, or a running-in turn, or - in the later life of the class - non-passenger haulage.

Archived