"bashers" C4 documentary, 2000, north wales coast cl 37 action

big jim

• RMweb Gold

this came up on another forum earlier

one of those things you watch and cringe at, some familiar faces to me on there (others like beast66606 may recognise a few faces too)

at 8:50 in the guard who recieves the brunt of an irate passengers rant is a guy called ade martin who went on to become a driver not long after this was filmed, sadly he died of cancer earlier this year in his early 40s, a top man with such a dry fantastic sense of humour, so nice to see him immortalised forever on film

the very welsh driver is dewi from holyhead, again another top guy, now with freightliner i believe

• RMweb Gold

the video was originally linked to on another forum in a thread about the possible ban of mk1s on railtours after complaints from the TOC to the railtour operator due to safety concerns following some passengers flailing and bellowing

that thread mentioned that some people were injured on a tour in yorkshire when they 'connected' with a 333 unit

Had to Google "bellowing" and "flailing". I'm now more convinced than ever that there should be no cuts to the mental healthcare budget. These people need help. At the very least, a straitjacket would cure flailing.

Most illuminating - and a bit nostalgic, if I'm honest.  Some of my friends were 50-bashers and took up residence on the Waterloo - Exeter line, aka The Mule.  A favourite overnight move began with the 1.40 am Waterloo - Yeovil Junction, a train which attracted all sorts.  Doss of a kind became possible after Woking when late night revellers had alighted and space in compartments became available.  I will admit to having experienced this train as part of a Network Day, far too long ago.

One of the bits of lingo not explained by 'Grandad' in his otherwise comprehensive translation is 'withering'.  That is what Pip Dunn was given in the film.  He got used to it after a while.

Chris 

Didn't need to  Google "bellowing" and "flailing".

I'm now more convinced than ever that there should be no cuts to the mental healthcare budget.

These people need help. ...... agreed

At the very least, a straitjacket would cure flailing.......agreed

Oh ! such stereotypical behaviour - by those who are then cut to the quick by 'journos' and 'hacks' that take the p'ss out of our hobby.

Once I saw the shell suit top on one 'flailer' I had to turn away.

Nicely decorated bathroom as well, perhaps he should have diverted some of his 'bashing' and graffiti' time to gardening !

Why, WTF and many other questions spring to mind!

Because you can?

I guess it's one of those "you had to be there to get it" things.

Indeed, and one reason why rail enthusiasts attract derision.

Yet it's perfectly acceptable to be equally fanatical and excited about 22 guys kicking a ball round a bit of grass for 90 minutes - a world I care not for.

• RMweb Gold

Because you can?

I guess it's one of those "you had to be there to get it" things.

Yet it's perfectly acceptable to be equally fanatical and excited about 22 guys kicking a ball round a bit of grass for 90 minutes - a world I care not for.

I think we have some wires crossed here. It's possible to be enthusiastic about any subject without being anti-social, be it railways, religion or football. The antics of "bashers", especially the flailing and bellowing can only have negative outcomes.

How about a 3d printed DCC and sound fitted model basher to fit in the open window of your model mark 1s? Flail/bellow functions selectable...or triggered by the "hellfire thrash" position on your DCC throttle control.?

JF

How about a 3d printed DCC and sound fitted model basher to fit in the open window of your model mark 1s? Flail/bellow functions selectable...or triggered by the "hellfire thrash" position on your DCC throttle control.?

JF

I have a Mk 1 with an open vestibule window, and a "bellower"...

25+ years ago, if I was going somewhere, I used to look out for a "proper", loco hauled train to get there on.

On one occasion I thought: warm day, let's sit in the front coach, top light open, listen to the loco.

Anyway, in said coach, I encountered "bashes" for the first time. Knowing nothing, I thought "fellow railwayacs" and started to chat with them.

Within less time than it takes to type, my inner "alarm lamps" were flashing red, then the inner "warning bells" started to ring very loudly.

These were "highly unusual" people; I made polite excuses and a sharp exit, never to return to any coach in which they were travelling.

K

Edit: Now that I understand that I might be agreeing with something said in the Daily Mail, I take it all back.

• RMweb Gold

Peak Army - The "Milwall" of railway enthusiasts (according to Christian Wolmar)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1092595/Trainspotters-rampage-Vintage-rail-enthusiasts-facing-ban-claims-yobbish-behaviour.html

Jim

and no mention of princess diana, immigrants or BR coffee cups giving you cancer, you surprise me daily mail (although it does mention nazi's)

• RMweb Gold

to be honest i dont "get it" either, before i worked on the railway i had a passing interest in it, went spotting with my dad, travelled all over the country then i got to that age where girls, music and cars were more important so forgot about it for a while, that age being the mid to late 90s when 37's were bowing out of mainline service, (i started at chester just after they finished)

even after i went to DRS i still didnt "get it", some of the older drivers who started the same time as me who were ex BR, EWS etc and used to drive 37's, 56s, 47s etc were absolute cranks, getting proper over excited watching videos of 56s on load banks, 37s hammering along sutton park etc, seemed strange to me, still does really

and now at colas much as i like my job it takes an awful lot for me to get proper "over excited" about the stuff i drive thrash wise, ok a 56 at full chat will bring a smile to my face and a 37 opening up sounds nice but thats it to me, nowt to get moist over 

• RMweb Gold

Loving this quote from the Mail article "They are allowed out to play by their wives or mums and get so excited when they are being hauled by their favourite type of engine they end up behaving like football hooligans"

• RMweb Gold

and now at colas much as i like my job it takes an awful lot for me to get proper "over excited" about the stuff i drive thrash wise, ok a 56 at full chat will bring a smile to my face and a 37 opening up sounds nice but thats it to me, nowt to get moist over

I'm like that with modern airliners - 40 years in aviation does that to you - but if anything interesting appears, it'll get a second glance.

Rarely does these days. LHR is like the modern railway, efficient but boring.

• RMweb Gold

First time I've seen that. Kudos to C4 for bothering to make a film about one of Britain's little sub-cultures in the first place. Ok these guys were pretty extreme, and the real hardcore who have stuck at it when most just haven't. But I reckon for many people who took part back in the 80s, it was as much about the trains as it was about being independant and self-sufficient - often for the first time, having some adventures with your mates, and making new ones, having a few beers and probably getting in a few scrapes along the way, lots of banter about sport, music, clothes, as well as all the moves and stories of previous adventures - some of which were even true.

Archived