Česky Západ - HO Czech Layout

Neils WRX

It's nice to hear that EMD or even, "SD-40" sound in something other than a "class 66"!

(I know, it's an awful mix of engines and loco series, sorry!)

Anyway, it sounds good.

What or who is McK, please? I've never heard of them before!

I used to have a Hobbytrade ME that I fitted a modified "SD-40" sound decoder into, Is this a precursor to your loco, perhaps? If so, do watch out for the angular grill covers - they used to fall off if you breathed upon them.

Cheers,

John. 

It's nice to hear that EMD or even, "SD-40" sound in something other than a "class 66"!

(I know, it's an awful mix of engines and loco series, sorry!)

Anyway, it sounds good.

What or who is McK, please? I've never heard of them before!

I used to have a Hobbytrade ME that I fitted a modified "SD-40" sound decoder into, Is this a precursor to your loco, perhaps? If so, do watch out for the angular grill covers - they used to fall off if you breathed upon them.

Cheers,

John.

I only discovered McK earlier this year they are a new producer of Danish models and I think the ME is their first model. They plan to release very small batches, the ME version I have is 1 of 200. They have big future plans and I have a late series MZ on order.

The sound is from a Loksound M4 decoder, I'm not sure if it's the standard Loksound ME or a tweaked version, it does have a few different options than the standard decoder so I'm guessing it's a tweaked one.

I don't think they have any connection with Hobbytrade and it's interesting since this model has been released a number of Hobbytrade ones have appeared on Ebay and I did read (well google translate) a piece on a Danish website and they seemed to really rate the model.

Neil

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Latest project is updating a former Lima South African loco which has been repainted and modified to be a Croatian Railways HZ2063. As I've gone digital the model needed upgrading, so I added a ESU chip and made a hole in the chassis for the ESU cube speaker.

Only issue was it didn't run as well as hoped so I'm going to replace the Lima friction pickups with some better ones and see if that improves things.

I'll report back!!

post-27790-0-15953100-1485210388_thumb.jpg

post-27790-0-11603200-1485210880_thumb.jpg

While waiting for some bits to turn up for the Croatian 2063 to turn up, decided to have a play with a DCC on the Z21 and can now get a couple of pairs of locomotives to "work in multiple".

Pictures below are of a pair Roco SNCB 62's and two Roco Belgian Nohabs

post-27790-0-08526600-1485333909_thumb.jpg

post-27790-0-75198600-1485333962_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A model I though was destined for the display cabinet has been saved!!

I had assumed my Croatian class 2041 which I had converted from a SNCF 63000 by Roco wasn't fitted with a DCC socket as I had converted it years ago, imagine my surprise when I opened it and found it had a socket and space for a decoder on the cab space.

So added a decoder and another loco has been added to the roster. Might think about sound fitting it just not sure where the speaker would go. Anyone added sound to a SNCF 63000?

The picture of the loco is shunting in the factory private sidings.

post-27790-0-15652000-1486399413_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Further update on the Croatian 2063, extra pickups added and the running is greatly improved.

Added the sound files as well, here's s quick sample of startup and departure of an express service formed of ACME coaches.

https://flic.kr/p/SbJkeZ

[yt]

[/yt]

Further update added an ESU stay alive chip to further improve the running of the loco.

post-27790-0-40827700-1487870106_thumb.jpg

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've actually undertaken some modelling rather than just spending money....

I've purchased some DBAG transfers and started on updating a few wagons from Era 4 to 5, first were a couple of Tds Hopper wagons and 2 axle vans.

post-27790-0-51007300-1491949394_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Another CD 749 addition, this time with Roco sound, reflashed the sound using my Z21 using the sound file from the Zimo website. I have emailed Artol for a copy of their sound file as theirs is better than the factory fitted Roco one. I especially like the manual notching on the Artol sounds.

Neil

post-27790-0-17750200-1493710918_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Appears the layout has been visited by some graffiti artists...

Hi Neil,

I'm in the process of vandalising some of my stock! Are those waterslide transfers ? if so where did you get them ?

Hi Neil,

I'm in the process of vandalising some of my stock! Are those waterslide transfers ? if so where did you get them ?

No problem, they came from TL Decals (also known at Truck Line), they do 3 different sheets for HO graffiti, I have a big retaining wall I'm in the process of "spraying" as well. The transfers are waterslide and I purchased mine on line from Germany via EBAY. Graffiti sheets are 1786 and 1787 and 1890.

Neil

Updated the language to English which makes things a little easier.

One thing I hadn't appreciated was the multimaus can't cope with duplicate loco numbers so I'm having to renumber some of the DCC addresses which is a bit of a pain. But on the plus side I am enjoying using a wheel to control the locos rather than the IPad touch screen.

Popped down to a local model railway exhibition in Saltcoats just for a quick look round and was very surprised to find one of the traders had a load of Danish stuff.

After a little bit of negotiation a Hobbytrade ME has joined the loco roster. Model just needs a DCC chip. Not at all what I was expecting after going to a 2nd birthday party with my daughter, Isla really liked the show and shouted "train, train" at every opportunity!!

Please ignore the Czech 749 in the bottom of the picture, I just wanted to test the loco.

post-27790-0-81831400-1495383543_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Finished setting up the Multimas and renumbered a number of locomotives to have different DCC addresses (a bit of a pain).

However tried one of my locos (HZ 2061) which the ESU Sound project has "Full Throttle" setting, I previously never managed to get this feature to work properly on the Z21 App on the iPad, however this worked brilliantly on the Multimaus using the dial to control the revs of the loco, worth the price for this alone.

Going to look at making a sound project for my nohabs with this feature :-)

Edited by Neils WRX

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anybody else has tried this but I've used a ESU Loksound project for an American GM with 16 cylinder 567C and produced a European sound project so removed the American bell and horns etc and added correct horn and announcements etc.

This engine sound is suitable for most European Nohabs. I've but a 567B sound in my DSB MV, the only problem if the 567D2 or 3 for the later Danish MY's just doesn't to me sound like the D1 engine they were fitted with.

Anyway here's an example of a Belgian Nohab first without then with the new sound file.

https://flic.kr/p/Vcd6UT

[yt]

[/yt] Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 1

I'm after a bit of advice anyone recommend a manufacturer of bushes and shrubs for HO scale.

I've already used static grass and fixed down trees on one bit.

The first picture has the trees already planted the second is waiting its line of trees.

What I'm after are some bushes and shrubs any recommendations?

post-27790-0-67152600-1496772370_thumb.jpg

post-27790-0-85526200-1496772417_thumb.jpg

Hello,

Poly Fibre (teased out thinly), hairspray and fine good quality scatter material makes great hedges or bushes. Can be as random or orderly as you want.

Some choose to use teased out cotton wool which needs to be dyed. It can look ok but its a bit messy.

Pan scourers teased out and spray painted are another alternative.

Stay away from lichen, the stems are too thick to look realistic these days.

Use at least two slightly different shades of leaves for the best results.

Hoping this helps a little.

Kind regards,

Pete

Hello,Poly Fibre (teased out thinly), hairspray and fine good quality scatter material makes great hedges or bushes. Can be as random or orderly as you want.Some choose to use teased out cotton wool which needs to be dyed. It can look ok but its a bit messy.Pan scourers teased out and spray painted are another alternative.Stay away from lichen, the stems are too thick to look realistic these days.Use at least two slightly different shades of leaves for the best results.Hoping this helps a little.Kind regards,Pete

Thanks for that, will look into those options. I used to use lichen and still have an embankment covered in it which will be replaced in due course,

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX