Česky Západ - HO Czech Layout

Neils WRX

On 19/02/2020 at 10:39, JBr said:

The change came with the introduction of the unified livery system 88 (aka "unifik 88", 88 meaning 1988), so at the end of 1980s. But not all the coaches were painted immediately, so a combination of beige and grey on one train is possible. Unifik 88 also introduced the 60 cm wide yellow stripe on locomotives.

For some unknown reason, Tillig was painting roof of ČD coaches wrong colors for a long time. The white/green ČD coaches should have their roofs painted either white or grey. Another change came with the unified corporate color scheme ("Najbrt") that was introduced in 2008 and the coaches started being repainted in white/blue. Between 2008 and 2011 with grey roof, after 2011 with blue roof and thin white stripe right under the roof.

Random CD roof colours starting with CD Green Livery (these coaches are from Roco)

Czech coach roofs 3

Next Green and White/Cream coaches from Tillig, Sachsenmodelle and Roco.

Czech coach roofs 1

Finally the latest livery from Tillig with grey and blue livery.

Czech coach roofs 2

This may help (or not).

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 4

As we he wife was out last night, did a few scenic jobs and had a play with the layout.

Here’s a class 770 from Piko with ESU Loksound. I reflashed the decoder last night and it does run a bit better now. I had previously been tempted to resort a “stay alive” to improve its running.

Thanks

Neil

• Like 6

I went to the excellent Model Rail Scotland show at the SECC in Glasgow at the weekend. This was once I’d managed to avoid the flooding around my village and the rail replacement buses from the local station (which I couldn’t get to without waders anyway).

I thought it was again an excellent show with a number of very good layouts even though there were no layouts modelling my eclectic tastes. I do however have a bit of a soft spot for BR Blue Diesels in a Scottish setting so I was well catered for!!!

I had a shopping list and brought a few bits and pieces, one of these was a ESU Stayalive.

My Roco CD 770’s wasn’t a particularly good runner for some reason and would judder and try to stall every time it came near a double slip or 3 way point at “shunting speed”. This was a lot worse with the sound on. I’ve fitted the model with a ESU Loksound v4 chip using the sound project you can download from the ESU website.

Anyway as an attempt to cure this for good I’ve fitted an ESU Stayalive and it’s worked extremely well. The capacitor and board and circuit board are located in the loco’s long hood along with the speaker. The locomotive will now potter about the layout running completely smoothly :-) As can be seen on this video. Sorry its a bit boring to watch.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 5

As the weather was dry for a bit at the weekend I managed to get my logs sprayed. I’ve added retaining straps around the logs, so they can easily be removed from the wagon to run it empty.

Anyway here is the “finished” timber wagon kit, I’m quite pleased with the results.

CD Kbps - www.ES-Pecky.cz

Thanks

Neil

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Very quick update a long awaited parcel has arrived, as well as lots of nice detail bits and pieces I have two Czech DMU trailers. These visually look like (to me) normal coaches but are in a different red and white/cream livery.

They have their own heating system so can (and are) hauled by diesels without trainheat as well as dragged about by DMU’s.

I have 2 versions a Bn and a Bnp. Both come fitted with lights that seem to be constantly on. The vehicles must be fitted with capacitors as the lights remain on even when you take them off the track.

CD DMU Trailers Bn/Bnp - MTB

Hope to supply a modelling update next week. Although most of my focus has been directed towards my new Belgian project.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 6

In between emergency train service planning I’ve managed to get a bit modelling done. I’ve added some more grass, bushes and undergrowth to the front of the layout.

A bit more Scenic Work

On other news the track has arrived for the Belgian project, just need the baseboards now!!!

Stay safe everyone.

Thanks 

Neil

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well it’s been an interesting few weeks...

Hope everyone is ok and stays safe.

My office has been relocated from Glasgow to the railway room at home, my workbench has been tided up and replaced by a screen, keyboard and mobile phone so I’ve been managing my team virtually.

WFH - The New Normal

Been very busy with replanning rail services, so very little time for modelling despite being sat next to the layout. I’ve only been doing odd detailing bits on the layout recently I’ve been putting up some satellite dishes and TV ariels as well as roof capping.

Station Building - Igra Model

Stay safe everyone.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Neil,  I really like the strip at the front of the layout with tracks, bushes and grass. It looks so realistic.

Best wishes for the emergency train planning and thanks for doing it.  I do appreciate whats involved and the pressure you are under,  Years ago I was responsible for scheduling all the buses and crews at Bolton depot; one evening a fault was found on a bridge used by most buses in the town centre and the road had to be closed, I had to re-schedule everything overnight. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

It’s 14 foot by 2 foot.

Nice I have two selves in my garage pre built that are 14ftx2ft. I had 2 US layouts on them, One has been stripped down, the other is about too. Now what to do? 

Your Layout is very nice. Very inspirational. 

Last media I have from one of the layouts

Edited by alcoRS1
  • Like 1

On 05/04/2020 at 17:27, alcoRS1 said:Nice I have two selves in my garage pre built that are 14ftx2ft. I had 2 US layouts on them, One has been stripped down, the other is about too. Now what to do? 

Your Layout is very nice. Very inspirational. 

Last media I have from one of the layouts

Thanks very much glad you like it.

I also have a second layout in the advanced stages of planning, it has a thread on here. It’s a smaller 8x2 one, of which 5x2 is scenic.

• Like 3

On 05/04/2020 at 09:38, ColinK said:

Hi Neil,  I really like the strip at the front of the layout with tracks, bushes and grass. It looks so realistic.

Best wishes for the emergency train planning and thanks for doing it.  I do appreciate whats involved and the pressure you are under,  Years ago I was responsible for scheduling all the buses and crews at Bolton depot; one evening a fault was found on a bridge used by most buses in the town centre and the road had to be closed, I had to re-schedule everything overnight. 

Thanks!!

i know what you mean about emergency plans, I’ve been involved in a few over the years including the Chanel Tunnel Fire, and the Forth Road Bridge Closure.

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing odd bits of detailing on the layout, as I’m at home and the baseboards for the Belgian layout haven’t arrived yet. 

So I’ve been putting up TV aerial’s and air con units on the flats. I’ve placed manhole covers and crash barriers etc.

Blocks of Flats - Faller

I’ve added some more ground cover on the exposed bits.

CD Cargo 751219 “Through the Tree’s” - Roco

I’ve added some dried tea leaves to the grasses and bushes to add some more texture.

More Ground Cover - Now with Tea Leaves

I’ve also resprayed a model car which is a first for me, so I now have a silver VW Golf Mark2, just need some Czech Number-plates now. Any ideas ?

Herpa Mini kits - VW Golf Mk2

Stay safe everyone.

Thanks 

Neil

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

If you can resize them and print them, just take one from there -- https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Státní_poznávací_značky_v_Česku

Scroll down almost to the end of the page and there you will find a table with all the region codes and examples of license plates. Just pick the one you like, resize it, print it and glue it on the model.

Edited by JBr
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Most of my limited modelling time has been on the forthcoming Belgian Depot layout.

However I have managed to run a few trains and here’s an example. Here a CD 751 (made by Roco) arrives on a short passenger train made up of 2 DMU trailers by MTB.

The loco is of course fitted with ARTOL Sound.

The layout also has its first “person” on it, the station now has a “Red Cap” and they appear in this sequence of 751004 departing.

I have also sprayed the Herpa log loader and it now looks a lot less plastic.

HO Herpa Log Loader

Stay safe everyone.

Thanks, 

Neil

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Managed some more minor jobs, including making a phone box I got a while ago as part of an order from a Czech model shop.

One arrival of note is a MTB 749 (numbered 749263) in Hanzalík International Transport livery. Looking on the internet there are pictures of it working passenger trains at an event so that’s my excuse for it working on coaches.

When the loco was in service with CD it was silenced and the sound file that comes with it certainly gives that indication complete with whining traction motors.

But if you use it on F6 Full Load it swaps to a “loud” example :-) 

One other little job was fitting a Stayalive to the 781, this model has always been very sensitive especially with sound on. However with a ESU Stayalive it now crawls around beautifully.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Got distracted again....

Ordered this back in January from a shop in Denmark a Series IV MZ. A lovely model by MCK

DSB MZ1458 - MCK

It joins a Hobbytrade version

DSB Series IV MZ’s MCK v Hobbytrade

This is for the next but one layout, a Danish Ferry Terminal including a Train Ferry :-)

Stay safe everyone.

Neil

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 06/06/2020 at 15:57, Neils WRX said:

Managed some more minor jobs, including making a phone box I got a while ago as part of an order from a Czech model shop.

One arrival of note is a MTB 749 (numbered 749263) in Hanzalík International Transport livery. Looking on the internet there are pictures of it working passenger trains at an event so that’s my excuse for it working on coaches.

When the loco was in service with CD it was silenced and the sound file that comes with it certainly gives that indication complete with whining traction motors.

But if you use it on F6 Full Load it swaps to a “loud” example :-) 

Here is sister loco 749 262 on a railtour back in February 2017

VilemovUKadane2017_(8).JPG

• Like 1

I have only just caught up with your very interesting layout, Neil. I haven't read all of the middle pages yet, but will enjoy filling in the gaps soon.

I have only recently (since 2018) been dabbling with a bit of European stuff but running on my British practice layout. I am running a few German, Swiss, Danish and Swedish trains, although I am a bit of a novice with their histories so am probably mixing a few eras/Epochs up a bit. 

What are the McK locomotives like for quality and running properties? I have pre-ordered an McK DSB IC3 unit, which I am hoping will be a bit more sophisticated than the Heljan offerings, although I have come up with an effective fix for their indifferent abilities to stay on the rails. Other brands I have at present are Piko, Roco, Fleischmann, and Hobby Trade (DSB ME diesel). 

I'm also interested in the sounds and you have a really good variety there. The majority of mine are British (steam, diesel and electric), but I did lash out and buy a LokSound for the ME diesel and have a DB BR 232 sound decoder on the way (I haven't figured out where the speaker will go yet).

Love your work, and sorry I haven't cottoned on to your topic earlier. 

:drink_mini:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Here is sister loco 749 262 on a railtour back in February 2017

VilemovUKadane2017_(8).JPG

Always a useful excuse to put it on passenger, no snow on my layout though..... :-)

Stay safe everyone,

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 2