Česky Západ - HO Czech Layout

Neils WRX

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Neils WRX said:

Always a useful excuse to put it on passenger, no snow on my layout though..... :-)

Stay safe everyone,

Thanks,

Neil

It was very cold that trip for the first part as the train heating wasn't working but it was good. I still feel cold looking at those photos though.

• Funny 1

11 hours ago, SRman said:

I have only just caught up with your very interesting layout, Neil. I haven't read all of the middle pages yet, but will enjoy filling in the gaps soon.

I have only recently (since 2018) been dabbling with a bit of European stuff but running on my British practice layout. I am running a few German, Swiss, Danish and Swedish trains, although I am a bit of a novice with their histories so am probably mixing a few eras/Epochs up a bit. 

What are the McK locomotives like for quality and running properties? I have pre-ordered an McK DSB IC3 unit, which I am hoping will be a bit more sophisticated than the Heljan offerings, although I have come up with an effective fix for their indifferent abilities to stay on the rails. Other brands I have at present are Piko, Roco, Fleischmann, and Hobby Trade (DSB ME diesel). 

I'm also interested in the sounds and you have a really good variety there. The majority of mine are British (steam, diesel and electric), but I did lash out and buy a LokSound for the ME diesel and have a DB BR 232 sound decoder on the way (I haven't figured out where the speaker will go yet).

Love your work, and sorry I haven't cottoned on to your topic earlier. 

:drink_mini:

Thanks for the positive comments.

I have 3 MCK models and I think they are all excellent, the latter two are the MZ above and the a ME. They are fitted with sound and stay alive's so are excellent runners. I guess they would haul a good load but my layout is limited to 14ft long. They even have ready to start indictors on the loco sides. I also have a MT on order for said Danish layout.

In summary they are expensive but excellent quality. If you can get hold of one the current Hobbytrade MZ's that is also a really good model but without the toys of the MCK version. Some of the early versions have less detail so buyer beware on Ebay.

I'm a also little tempted by a IC3 but much prefer running hauled trains with loco and stock. I also have a Heljan MX on order, but this is a completely reworked version produced with Dekas.

Re sound, I'm a bit of a novice, but I have found the ESU Lokprogrammer very helpful. For my MZ's I have reflashed the Roco versions and one of my Hobbytrade models runs an custom project based on an American loco with the same 20 cylinder power unit, which sounds very similar to the MCK version of the same loco. Of my ME's the Hobbytrade one is without sound, but its on the list to be done in due course. ESU provide a Sound Project for download, which I'll probably use and maybe tweak.

Hope that's useful, any questions just ask.

Stay safe.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 1

I also have a LokProgrammer, and the sound on my ME came straight from the ESU online libraries.

The construction of the Hobby Trade ME is very similar to British Heljan locomotives, and initially I had problems with the pickups, with only some contacting the wheels properly. Like all of the Heljan locos I have, a few tweaks to those pickups so all of them were in contact with the wheels at all times greatly assisted running without interruptions to the sound.

I posted a video on YouTube a while ago to demonstrate the ME in action. If you are interested, it is here.

With apologies if I am hijacking your topic a little.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SRman said:

I also have a LokProgrammer, and the sound on my ME came straight from the ESU online libraries.

The construction of the Hobby Trade ME is very similar to British Heljan locomotives, and initially I had problems with the pickups, with only some contacting the wheels properly. Like all of the Heljan locos I have, a few tweaks to those pickups so all of them were in contact with the wheels at all times greatly assisted running without interruptions to the sound.

I posted a video on YouTube a while ago to demonstrate the ME in action. If you are interested, it is here.

With apologies if I am hijacking your topic a little.

No problem hijacking the thread, I’m quite capable of doing that myself....

I’ve not had any running problems, with my Hobbytrade ME I purchased mine quite cheaply (in relative terms) at a swapmeet a few years ago.

Anywhere here is next to my MCK version.

DSB ME’s MCK v Hobbytrade

One day it will get sound, next Danish loco to get sound is 1431, which is a MCK model made by Hobbytrade.....

Stay safe everyone,

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 4

On 15/04/2020 at 17:36, JBr said:

If you can resize them and print them, just take one from there -- https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Státní_poznávací_značky_v_Česku

Scroll down almost to the end of the page and there you will find a table with all the region codes and examples of license plates. Just pick the one you like, resize it, print it and glue it on the model.

Back to Czech modelling.

Solved my number plate problems by chance.

Another thread on here pointed me towards TL Decals (a company I have used before for transfers who trade on EBay ) they produce a range of model number plates for loads of countries including the Czech Republic. So all my cars now have number plates. 

Here’s a Czech registered Trabbi in the station carpark.

Czech Trabbi - HO

Stay safe,

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Another slow update as work keeps getting in the way of doing any railway modelling!!!

One thing I have discovered are Posca paint pens they are brilliant for picking out little details, such at door handles, handrails, ETS cables, anchor ties etc. The list is endless, so I’ve been picking out little details....

CD Double Decker details - Piko

I’ve also been playing with a MCK MZ, but that will feature in another thread..

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

A quick update on the Czech layout, most of my modelling focus has been directed at the forthcoming Belgian Depot layout but there have been a few noteworthy Czech arrivals.

I’ve never really been a fan of “Google’s” which explains why I only have one, however I have now added a second. This time it’s a MTB one numbered 750118. The model is still to be fitted with DCC Sound and a chip will be arriving shortly.

CD 750118 - MTB

A couple of other wagons arrived in the box along with the Goggle. A pair of Czech Railways Ua bogie open wagons (by Albert Modell), both are “very yellow” and could do with some weathering / toning down.

CD Ua Bogie Open Wagon - Albert Model

The final addition is an Albert Modell ZSR (Slovak) van.

ZSR 2 axle van - Albert Model

Another job I finally got round to doing was fitting sound to my last 749/751. This was a Roco Model numbered 751219, in current CD Cargo livery. The loco is fitted with a “tlumič” (silencer) in real life, so I’m using a suitable sound project from Artol. Here is a quick video of it starting and departing, note the lack of engine noise once it’s moving. The Lokpilot chip will be recycled into Belgian class 55 in due course.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

A couple of other wagons arrived in the box along with the Goggle. A pair of Czech Railways Ua bogie open wagons, both are “very yellow” and could do with some weathering / toning down.

CD Ua Bogie Open Wagon - Albert Model

Neil

Who makes these and where did you obtain them from?

I have TT scale versions but its the first time I have seen HO scale ones.

3 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Neil

Who makes these and where did you obtain them from?

I have TT scale versions but its the first time I have seen HO scale ones.

No problem, I should have said in the text, they are Albert Modell, (who seem to do quite limited numbers of wagons) I have a couple of tank wagons on order from "Menzels" who are still showing a number of the side tipping wagons in stock CSD / CD & ZSR.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Neil

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neils WRX said:

No problem, I should have said in the text, they are Albert Modell, (who seem to do quite limited numbers of wagons) I have a couple of tank wagons on order from "Menzels" who are still showing a number of the side tipping wagons in stock CSD / CD & ZSR.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Neil

Neil

Thanks

Just ordered some of the CSD brown ones and one CD yellow one. I remember seeing them in brown on our first visit to Prague and that train got us into modelling Czech railways.

Ian

• Like 2

Happened to notice in the week that ESU have produced a sound project for a 749/751 (no idea why). All my previous 749/751 sound projects have been on Zimo decoders rather than ESU.

Anyway downloaded the project to see what it’s like on to a spare V5 chip and added “Drive Hold’ on the Lokprogrammer, and here is the result.

Must admit, I think the sound is pretty good, so going to keep this project and will use the Zimo decoder elsewhere.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...

MTB 842 DMU

First update for ages as all my modelling time has been focused on the new Belgian Depot Layout.

Since the last update a few relevant items of rolling stock have arrived. The only one with a motor was a Czech 842 railcar, which I got for my birthday back in December, but it didn’t get a DCC chip until the other day. The model is by MTB, and like their other DMU models there isn’t an obvious space for a speaker so just fitted a ESU Lokpilot.

So I ran it into the station and ran it back out to test it, still need to add the detailing bits.

CD 842008 - MTB

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Neil, from reading the tread I must say your layout has progressed well over the years and now look really good. 

And what a lineup of locomotives and wagons you have acquired... impressive 

Next will be to check out the Belgian Depot. 

stay safe 

/Ragnar

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Singletrack said:

Neil, from reading the tread I must say your layout has progressed well over the years and now look really good. 

And what a lineup of locomotives and wagons you have acquired... impressive 

Next will be to check out the Belgian Depot. 

stay safe 

/Ragnar

I'm impressed you've managed to read all my ramblings, as you say this layout started out as one thing and became something else !!

I agree I do have too many models !!!

Stay safe,

Neil

• 4 months later...

CD781 - Roco

Not much has changed in the last few months as all my modelling focus has been on the Belgian Depot Layout.

Only a single addition, I have been looking for a CD 781 in red and cream livery since I started this project, but the ones I have seen on eBay have been going for silly money. However got an alert to say a sound fitted one had been listed at a sensible price so added it to the roster. The sound is on a Zimo chip and it is the standard  Roco sound file. I’m going to reflash it with an Artol sound file in due course.

Czech CD 781194 - Roco 62938

Czech CD 781194 - Roco 62938

The class were withdrawn in the early 2000’s, I think I only ever saw one actually move once on my early trips to the Czech Republic, most were dumped out of use on depots.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 17
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a month since the last update, a couple of arrivals of note.

Two Albert Modell tank wagons a CD one and a ZSR one.

CD & ZSR Zaes Zas - Albert Modell

The next was a model I couldn’t make my mind up about, a Roco 810 DMU. It’s not my first choice of livery but a worthy addition. Here’s a video of it arriving and departing.

Need to sort the head and tail lights out.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 04/08/2021 at 09:36, SimonBoulton said:

Neil, how does the Roco 810 compare to the MTB version? 

Simon, sorry for the delayed response. I only own the Roco version, but the Internet seems to think the Roco model is better. 

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 1

I‘ve got a new trainset

I’ve brought a trainset !! I think the last one I had when I was about 6....

Anyway when Roco announced a digital start set with a red and yellow Czech class 781 I was tempted to order one.

In the end I didn’t, but a week or so ago I was browsing the internet and spotted a set at a in German Modelshop, at a good price so I purchased it.

As well as a 781 I got 2 CD Eas wagons (you can never have enough of these) and a DR bogie tanker. 

CD 781505 - Roco 51332

CD 781505 - Roco 51332

The other reason for wanting a start set was to have a wired Z21 handset. I normally use the WiFi Multimaus and IPad at home but I have read of people having issues at exhibitions with WiFi so if the Belgian layout ever gets invited anywhere I now have a backup. I’ve tested it works so I’ve put it in my tool box just in case.

Another arrival is a Piko DBAG 228 which will appear on cross border workings. I remember this specific example (228700) working around Erfurt at the end of the classes life. The model will get a Loksound v5 chip in due course, but my usual supplier hasn’t any in stock so I’ll have to wait.

DBAG 228700 - Piko

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 9

• 4 months later...

Piko CD 720

Been ages since the last update, only a single arrival a Piko 720.

CSD T435.0140 - Piko

Loco is of course sound fitted and came a well known German retailer.

Looking at the new Roco announcements for 2022 I think there will be a few more arrivals this year than 2021. Especially like the blue and white 751.

Stay safe everyone,

Neil

• Like 8

• 3 months later...

First post for ages, in fairness all my modelling has been focused on the Belgian layout. 

Station Red Cap

Anyway I think I might update the layout a bit as a bit of a side project, longer term it might even become an oval with a fiddle yard at the rear. The station was always designed as a through station but able to be operated from either end so a round and round layout is the next obvious step.

The future fiddle yard can then be used on other future layouts, the only issue is there isn’t space at home for the layout to be setup in this form permanently.

In the short term I want to swap the point motors over to digital control. First job will be to control the current fiddle yard, which has never had any form of point control.

I’m also going to fit uncoupling magnets and go over to using Kadee couplers on the ends of rakes of stock so I can have hands free operation, which is something I’ve especially enjoyed on the Belgian layout.

Uncoupling magnets - Czech layout

The first delivery of Kadee’s have been fitted to a few loco’s and the passenger rolling stock. The freight stock will need a much, much larger delivery!!!

CD 751041 - Roco

CD 749250 and 751004 - Roco and MTB

Cheers,

Neil 

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the magnets are down, I have some more on order to finish the task.

I have also fitted a load more Kadee’s with another 10 packs on order.

One bit of stock has arrived a DMU trailer (mentioned on the Czech thread), and I have another one on order.

CD DMU Trailer - MTB

With the uncoupling magnets fitted I have needed to add a bit of weight to the brake Van as it was a very lightweight vehicle.

Sometimes a wagon needs a bit of weight

I’ve also been playing trains a bit!!

Here’s a comparison between different sound files for 749/751’s

To think I didn’t want to use Kadee couplers as the looked a bit American….

Cheers,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
I can’t spell
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Re wiring Has Began

I’ve started the job the re wiring the Czech layout. I have added surface mounted point motors to the Fiddle Yard and connected these up to a DCC Concepts unit.

This is then controlled by the Roco Z21 and gives me route setting from the fiddle yard.

Fiddle Yard rewiring

Fiddle Yard rewiring

Fiddle Yard rewiring

Next job will be to start on the three scenic boards.

One arrival since the last update is a Piko double decker via a well known auction site…

CD Double Decker - Piko

One observation this coach doesn’t have an interior where as others I’ve got have.

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 4