Česky Západ - HO Czech Layout

Neils WRX

The shades do seem to vary between manufacturers such as Roco, MTB etc. However all mine have been weathered to some extent apart form this stake wagon.

I know what your mean about colours, Roco even vary between batches of the same wagon!!

• 3 months later...

Think it’s time for another update of the still un-named layout.

Since my last post I’ve continued to add rolling stock, and I was very lucky as Santa brought me a sound fitted DBAG 232 from Roco and a few Czech / Slovak wagons.

46305292624_a6d59cbb53_c.jpgDBAG 232536 - Roco HO by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

Christmas was spent building a plastic Thomas layout (Super Station, if your interested) luckily we’d didn’t take it down South for Christmas Day present opening as we would never have got it back in the car once it was clipped together.

I’ve also nearly finished the log wagon, it just needs a coat of Matt varnish.

46100296575_38850febb5_c.jpgCD Kbps - www.ES-Pecky.cz by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

Layout wise I continue to add little detailing bits, including a good selection of Igra model cars and lorries which are now available through Amazon which saves the expensive postage from the Czech Republic. The models are also at Czech equivalent prices so are very cheap. I plan to detail these in due course.

46325957665_aaaee4e425_c.jpgTatra Truck - Igra Model by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

I’ve also been trying my new iPhone out and it makes excellent little videos, I have attached a couple below.

First is a prototype 751 departing on a freight. I’ve added graffiti to one of the Rils wagons. The 751 is by MTB.

https://youtu.be/0a0IOgKrkbk

Next is a Roco 751 arriving on a passenger service.

https://youtu.be/wFj8SAhThwE

Finally my Roco 781 arrives on a freight train.

https://youtu.be/cRh_lhlVzv8

Next project is filling the space behind the line of trees, and I have a few options I’m investigating. I want this area to be removable so I can swap it for the wrecked and burnt out buildings when I operate the layout in Balkan mode.

Having been the Model exhibition at the SECC in Glasgow last weekend I’ve decided that the random rail connected factory at the rear of the layout should be a brewery (there are a few in the Czech Republic!!). So I’m going to change the main building and add a grain unloader, as I have quite a number of suitable covered wagons. I must confess I pinched the idea from the excellent “Wellpark” Layout which is based on urban Glasgow. Just need to find a couple of suitable kits to bash now. The existing buildings will be retained to again use in Balkan mode.

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Two quick videos, the first is a DBAG class 232 by Roco fitted with the Henning Sound which in my opinion is much better than the previous version. There it departs on a train of double deck coaches.

The next is a Czech class 742 by MTB fitted with ARTOL sounds, arriving on a short trip freight.

https://www.youtube.com/watchv=7OLfvD2OWI4&feature=share

PS I wish I knew how to imbed videos into posts..... (property) as the the 232 post appeared correctly but the 742 one doesn’t have a preview pane.

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got distracted on a well known auction site again..... added a B-Models Belgian class 62 to the roster. The model is in original green livery and stayed in this livery until it was repainted into Infabel Blue livery quite recently so will be suitable for any time period from the mid 70’s until about 2012.

33591062068_9f6975baa5_c.jpgSNCB 6244 - B-Models by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Another month has passed so time for a few more pictures of not much happening....

In this month’s main news I’ve actually done some modelling !!! I’ve built an Igra Model substation, I was going to make a phone box as well until I realised I’d brought one in N scale by mistake…… This only dawned on me when I got everything out of the packet to cut it up and thought that it looked a bit small (DOH) !!! Anyway a N scale Czech phonebox is no use to me so expect it will find its way on to Ebay in due course.

33834189848_d4a68b2b6b_c.jpgIgra Model -Trafostanice typ 2 by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

I was also going to make a start on the IGRA Model Supermarket I brought to fill the space behind the trees, but it just doesn’t look right so I think I’m going to go with some flats here instead. All I need is a kit for something suitably 1970’s Communist Style which I can model in low relief. I’m not really a scratch builder, I much prefer to start with a  kit and go from there. Looking at options online there seems to be a few offerings from Faller that might do the job. I have mocked up the approximate size with a bit of cardboard.

47709962392_c0b5bbda94_c.jpgBlock of flats coming soon.... by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

A few bits and pieces of rolling stock have been added to the stocklist, the main highlights are a CD (Czech) “BSK” in latest the Blue livery, this will work with the Piko double deckers in either 2 or 3 car formations.

47662843462_7301146dde_c.jpgCD Tillig 74887 Typ Y/B70 by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

I’ve also added a Roco pack of 3 Slovak ZSSK 2 axle Talbot hoppers. These models carry different numbers and will be added to my fleet of grain wagons to serve the local brewery, which will occupy the site of the current “random” factory.

46799597265_e9c4438b1c_c.jpgZSSK 4 Wheel Hoppers - Roco 76177 by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

Last of all another slight diversion, this time a Danish class MZ Series IV, Co-Co diesel locomotive made by Hobbytrade. The model is already fitted with a DCC decoder, but needs changing for a ESU Loksound one in due course as I like a nice GM sound track. I do feel sound makes such a difference when you’re playing trains.

33862336608_b72ee3421d_c.jpgDSB 1456 - Hobbytrade HO by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

That’s all for now until next month!!

Neil

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Another update from me.

First I’ve finished the construction of the Igra Model Transformer, just need to buy some weathering stuff and give it a washover. Any products any one recommends?

Igra Model -Transformer Type 2

I’ve also started on a Faller 5 story block of flats which I was planning on cutting in two to make 2 blocks of flats in low relief. I was quite impressed the kit was actually designed to do this. My intention is to partially detail the interior of a few flats and add things like satellite dishes etc. Again anyone recommend a supplier?

Faller Block of Flats - HO

Last thing worthy of note I remember reading somewhere about changing Zimo CV398 from 0 to 2, this has the effect of shutting the the engine sound immediately and reverting to idle rather than notching back so gives a much more prototypical sound  when “shutting off” in my opinion. Please see the attached video of a MTB 751 model following the change.

Thanks

Neil

• Like 3

On 03/05/2019 at 22:45, Neils WRX said:

All I need is a kit for something suitably 1970’s Communist Style which I can model in low relief. I’m not really a scratch builder, I much prefer to start with a  kit and go from there. Looking at options online there seems to be a few offerings from Faller that might do the job. I have mocked up the approximate size with a bit of cardboard.

Hi Neil, Artitec have a few items in their range that might fit the bill...?

https://www.artitecshop.com/en/complete-multi-storey-building.html

https://www.artitecshop.com/en/facade-of-the-front-of-a-multi-storey-building.html

https://www.artitecshop.com/en/facade-of-the-rear-of-a-multi-storey-building.html

https://www.artitecshop.com/en/facade-q-rear-of-building.html

https://www.artitecshop.com/en/facade-p-rear-of-building.html

• 1 month later...

Time for another update of on this glacial project....

Since last time we have been on a family holiday to the North West of America and Canada which did include a couple of train rides (don’t worry I’m not about to build a model of Seattle King Street station).

https://flic.kr/p/2grgYot

A few more boxes have been delivered, yet more Czech wagons by Roco. At the start of the year I just ordered all the wagons I wanted and every few weeks another parcel arrives.

Here is a CD Cargo Tank Wagon

https://flic.kr/p/2gmXYGq

Next a Slovak Steel carrier in ZSSK Cargo colours

https://flic.kr/p/2gmWUjo

Both these wagons will just appear on trains passing through the station to somewhere else!!!

Continuing the theme of random models is another for the future Belgian Depot layout. The model is of SNCB 5404 which retained is “Round nose / Bull nose” cabs. This is a model that’s been missing from my collection and I’m surprised it’s taken so long for some one to make this version. The model is by Van Biervliet and I had it in order from a model shop in Aachen for ages!!!

As well as sound the model also has smoke, which is something I discovered by accident!!! Not sure about smoke as it filled the model room very quickly, I’ve used the supply that came with the loco, not sure about buying anymore!!

https://flic.kr/p/2grgEV7

Modelling wise work has continued on the two blocks of flats and the superstructure is now complete, windows in and all painted, need to add some more detailing bits next. 

Thanks

Neil

• Like 3

Not sure why the pictures didn’t appear in the last post, anyway way here they are:

The Sounder

48200072831_a836d87f89_k.jpgSound Transit 910 - Seattle by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

Roco Tank Wagon

48151295872_f80ffa1138_k.jpgRoco HO 76699 CD Cargo Zacns by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

Roco Steel Carrier

48151086026_784f73a4be_k.jpgRoco HO 76441 “ZSSK Cargo” Coil Carrier by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

Van Biervliet 5404

48200014056_fbf9be71d5_k.jpgSNCB 5404 - Van Biervliet by Neil Sutton, on Flickr

Might try and upload a video of 5404 a bit later.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/07/2019 at 08:40, Neils WRX said:

Got distracted again... saw some pictures online of Belgian class 55’s working Liege to Luxembourg trains so decided to recreate it on the layout:

Hi Neil,

Somewhat envious of your Van Biervliet :-) (how do they compare with B-Models?) it provides a fitting soundtrack to these snaps;

Reeks55-01.jpg.fb238d046b185b124ca908b0c0c319c2.jpg

5523 with 09.42 to Liege @Luxembourg 12.09.85

Reeks55-02.jpg.28f79b059e3af0d62ed1a67236eae08e.jpg

5542 with 11.05 Liege to Luxembourg @Clervaux 19.09.89

• Like 2

On 23/07/2019 at 18:26, TT-Pete said:

Hi Neil,

Somewhat envious of your Van Biervliet :-) (how do they compare with B-Models?) it provides a fitting soundtrack to these snaps;

Reeks55-01.jpg.fb238d046b185b124ca908b0c0c319c2.jpg

5523 with 09.42 to Liege @Luxembourg 12.09.85

Reeks55-02.jpg.28f79b059e3af0d62ed1a67236eae08e.jpg

5542 with 11.05 Liege to Luxembourg @Clervaux 19.09.89

ETH 55’s on K1 stock, didn’t realised that ever happened. I remember M2 and CFL stock as well as M4’s finishing up with I10’s on the Liege - Luxemburg services.

SNCB 5537 - Van Biervliet

SNCB must have been short of ETH 55’s to kick out a no-heat example.

This is also a Van Biervliet Model who sometimes release models as B Models or Budget Line.

i can’t tell much difference between the releases they are all excellent models and runners (apart from the one in the picture that seems a bit jerky at slow speed and will come to a halt randomly!!!)

Neil

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

ETH 55’s on K1 stock, didn’t realised that ever happened. I remember M2 and CFL stock as well as M4’s finishing up with I10’s on the Liege - Luxemburg services.

I have fond memories of K stock with that pre-war opulent feel of wooden trimmings and velour seats, whenever one came in on a train I was waiting for at Brussels Midi I'd go sprinting down the platform after it to be sure I'd be first on and get pick of an empty compartment.

I wish I'd taken better notes back in the day, but that photo is, I think, of "I" stock, with an "I2" sandwiched between two "I1", a baggage van lurking behind them, and interestingly also it would appear, "top n' tailed" with another blue ETH 55 right at the back. (Also I wonder what it is that the driver has left his cab for and is looking at, half-way down the train?)

The odd "I2" carriage was still on Liege and Maastricht services well into the mid-80's.

SNCB must have been short of ETH 55’s to kick out a no-heat example.

Happened occasionally in peak Summer, but unfortunately don't have a shot of a "greenie" 55 on a Liege service.

This is also a Van Biervliet Model who sometimes release models as B Models or Budget Line.

i can’t tell much difference between the releases they are all excellent models and runners (apart from the one in the picture that seems a bit jerky at slow speed and will come to a halt randomly!!!)

I've got the green SNCB and 1800 CFL serie 55 from B-Models plus two "homebrew" locos built from cut-n'-shut Roco serie 62 bodies, not bad if you don't look too closely and have good running characteristics when standing still... :^)

Edited by TT-Pete
Typo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

I have fond memories of K stock with that pre-war opulent feel of wooden trimmings and velour seats, whenever one came in on a train I was waiting for at Brussels Midi I'd go sprinting down the platform after it to be sure I'd be first on and get pick of an empty compartment.

I wish I'd taken better notes back in the day, but that photo is, I think, of "I" stock, with an "I2" sandwiched between two "I1", a baggage van lurking behind them, and interestingly also it would appear, "top n' tailed" with another blue ETH 55 right at the back. (Also I wonder what it is that the driver has left his cab for and is looking at, half-way down the train?)

The odd "I2" carriage was still on Liege and Maastricht services well into the mid-80's.

Happened occasionally in peak Summer, but unfortunately don't have a shot of a "greenie" 55 on a Liege service.

I've got the green SNCB and 1800 CFL serie 55 from B-Models plus two "homebrew" locos built from cut-n'-shut Roco serie 62 bodies, not bad if you don't look too closely and have good running characteristics when standing still... :^)

My memories of the K stock on service trains were on the “P Trains” around Charleroi, normally hauled by 23’s and 26 electrics. I think the I2’s were gone by the first visit in 1991.

i’ve also got a collection of 55’s here are my B Models / Van Biervliet ones (all DCC Sound fitted).

Van Biervliet / B Models SNCB 55’s - HO Scale

I also have some Marklin ones, these were all converted to DC many years ago. They actually compare very well to the B Models / Van Biervliet ones.

i’m not sure how easy the conversion would be or maybe the answer is a whole new chassis rather than use the existing motor bogie.

Marklin SNCB 55’s - HO Scale

Comparison Marklin on the left, Van Biervliet on the right.

Marklin v B Models SNCB 55 - HO Scale

Thanks

Neil

• Like 3

On 25/07/2019 at 22:59, Neils WRX said:

i’ve also got a collection of 55’s here are my B Models / Van Biervliet ones (all DCC Sound fitted).

I also have some Marklin ones, these were all converted to DC many years ago. They actually compare very well to the B Models / Van Biervliet ones.

i’m not sure how easy the conversion would be or maybe the answer is a whole new chassis rather than use the existing motor bogie.

Comparison Marklin on the left, Van Biervliet on the right.

Nice stud. :^)

Unfortunately my location is nowhere near as photogenic as yours, still being at the gros oeuvres stage;

1800-55.JPG.f4b1ccdcdb5b9920f48bed4d88d14136.JPG

B-Models pair in the middle, cut n' shut n' repainted 1809 and 1819 on the outside.

I do like the Maerklin 1800s but physically converting Maerklin to 2 rail DC just sounds like waaay too much bother to me (although tempting!), unless someone produces a conversion kit? 

It would be a bit expensive upfront, but my approach would be to get a DC Trix SNCB 205 class (#22750) and an AC Maerklin CFL 1800 (#83468), swap the bodies over, and then sell the now AC-ised SNCB 205.

Peter

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

Nice stud. :^)

Unfortunately my location is nowhere near as photogenic as yours, still being at the gros oeuvres stage;

1800-55.JPG.f4b1ccdcdb5b9920f48bed4d88d14136.JPG

B-Models pair in the middle, cut n' shut n' repainted 1809 and 1819 on the outside.

I do like the Maerklin 1800s but physically converting Maerklin to 2 rail DC just sounds like waaay too much bother to me (although tempting!), unless someone produces a conversion kit? 

It would be a bit expensive upfront, but my approach would be to get a DC Trix SNCB 205 class (#22750) and an AC Maerklin CFL 1800 (#83468), swap the bodies over, and then sell the now AC-ised SNCB 205.

Peter

I do like your cut and shut 18’s, must be honest I had resigned myself to the Marklin 55’s being just for the display cabinet along with the Roco 62’s. However I have seen a quite easy DCC conversion on line so maybe my 62’s might live again!!!

On the subject of chassis swaps I did that with my Croatian RAILBUS that I made many years ago. Just never got around to selling the German DC model.

Thanks

Neil

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I’ve carried on working on the blocks of flats and replaced some of the curtains with blinds made from bits of post it notes!!

The paved area around the flats are still to be painted and trees and a hedge will be planted. Will add details to the balconies and have washing hanging from some windows etc.

HO Faller 130803 Plattenbau P2/5

Thanks

Neil

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...

Another “not much has happened since the last update”, update.

I’ve had the soldering iron out and exchanged the speaker in the Czech 721. I did have a small ESU sugar cube in it but it sounded quite tinny so I’ve swapped it for something a little bigger and it sounds a bit better.

One of the other jobs on my list has been to paint my roofs on the station building and goods shed. Both kits came with black cardboard roofs, I do think dark grey looks better. Need to weather them now. 

Igra Model - Station Building & Goods Shed

Cheers

Neil

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

A quick photo from last nights 15 minutes of playing trains.

Here a Roco 770 has just arrived with a “brake van”, ready to collect the daily goods train.

Czech Railways CD 770069 - Roco HO

Have a few jobs to be getting on with including fitting sound to another MTB 742, and continuing working on the blocks of flats and the pavement etc.

• Like 5

Czech 742 now with added sound :-)

Chip is a Zimo one loaded with ARTOL Sound, this was done by Costal DCC as I couldn’t do it with my Z21 for some reason.

Here the 742 departs on a short passenger service, double decker is by Piko the BSK is by Tillig.

CD 742086 - MTB

Thanks, Neil

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Been getting round to lots of little jobs on the layout recently. One thing I’d been meaning to do was add fake bridge beams.

HO / OO Concrete Bridge

I think it looks much better now.

Also added some black “inserts” to the factory to improve that:

HO Scale - Factory

HO Scale - Factory

Thanks

Neil

• Like 4

Second update in 24 hours!!!

One of the ideas that has developed over the years is the ability to change the buildings between “countries” to enable me to run different trains on the same tracks but in a slightly different scenic setting.

One of the key pieces of this plan is the section behind the trees. When in layout is running in Czech mode these are the blocks of flats. When I am running Balkan models this area will have a couple of wrecked houses.

Anyway here is the lift out section complete with trees etc.

Placed on the layout:

Thanks

Neil

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just a update on my progress, added yet another Belgian SNCB/NMBS class 62 to the roster (brings my total to 10). 

SNCB 6218 - Roco 62772

This time it’s a Roco DCC fitted one, hopefully in the new year I’ll try and convert one of my original Roco DC ones to DCC as a trial, before then doing the rest of the DC Roco fleet.

One day I will build the Belgian Depot / Stabling Point layout for all the rolling stock I keep buying.....

Anyway back to the current layout, I’ve continued detailing things, and the latest addition is a pipe bridge between the 2 factory buildings. I’ve used a shortened Dapol signal gantry as a base, and then added pipes etc from bits in my scrap box.

Initial construction 

Model Pipe Bridge - OO/HO under construction

Ready for painting 

HO/OO Pipe Bridge

Also paid a visit to Denmark at the start of the month. The trip was for geocaching but did manage a few rides on the DSB ME diesels for old times sake!!

DSB 1533 - Osterport

Thanks

Neil

• Like 7