Česky Západ - HO Czech Layout

Neils WRX

Went to the Falkirk Model Railway Exhibition the other week and brought a few bits and pieces.

One stand had some “loading straps” so though I’d buy a pack and fix the log loads down.

For my removable loads I’ve put the straps inside the wagon (which obviously wouldn’t work in real life) but looks ok in the wagon.

HO /OO wagon log load

Logs having been loaded.

HO wagon log loads

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the last few weeks modelling.

First of all I’ve fitted a ESU Loksound v5 chip to the Hobbytrade Series IV MZ. The sound project on the ESU website is a bit basic, so I’ve used an American project for a American Diesel with same GM power unit, which gives me access to “Full Throttle / Drive Hold” Controls but obviously changed the horns and removed the bell etc. Here’s a quick YouTube video of it departing:

As regards scenics I’ve sprayed the pipe bridge, so this is nearly finished. I think I’m going to fit some “Armco” type crash barriers to protect the pipes.

Pipe Bridge - OO / HO

I’ve started construction of a overhead crane to go in the main factory building, this will be further detailed and sprayed yellow in due course.

HO Factory - Walthers

Factory Crane OO/HO

I’ve a new Czech arrival to report a MTB 852 Single car DMU. This was a birthday present from my gorgeous wife. The model just needs a decoder to make it mobile.

CD 852012 - MTB

CD 852012 - MTB

If I don’t manage another update before Christmas, Merry Christmas everyone.

Neil

• Like 7

2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

My other half calls the class 853 refurbished railcars 'Evita's' as the first one she saw was called 'Evita'. I can see her wanting me to get one of those MTB ones for 'Dobris'

Need a few trailers as well ;-)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

First update of 2020, Happy New Year everyone.

Again very little actual modelling has taken place since the last update, but I have been playing trains a bit!! (I had hoped to spray the overhead crane in the factory at some point but the weather has been rubbish in the West of Scotland). I also have a couple of Herpa mini-kits to spray but again I need some dry weather.

Santa was very good and delivered a few very useful Czech wagons. I’ll do a separate update when the layout returns to “Czech Mode”. 

Santa also delivered a DJI OSMO3 Gimbal so I have been playing with that and here are a few YouTube videos. The idea of the Gimbal is that it should give better quality videos with better panning and less camera shake.

These all feature Danish models.

First is the Hobbytrade MZ IV 

Next a ME departs

Next the MZ does a bit of shunting

Hope you enjoy them!

Thanks,

Neil

PS: I really must make a Danish station building at some point!!!

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

After a couple of months in Danish mode the layout has returned to its Czech theme. Modelling wise I’ve done a few odd bits of detailing here and there but nothing much.

Returning it to a Czech layout meant I could operate the toys Santa had kindly delivered.

Starting with a quick video using the gimbal (mentioned above). Here’s one of a Roco class 749 running round a local train. The model has been fitted with ARTOL sound. 

Here the models Santa delivered first an oil-tanker from Tillig registered to AWT.

CZ-AWT Zans - Tillig

A Czech Gas tank from Piko, I’m really not sure about the orange buffers though!!!

CZ-UNIDO - Piko

A CD bogie ballast hopper from Albert Modell in bright yellow livery.

CD Faccpp - Albert Modell

Finally a CD Cargo long wheelbase van from Albert Modell. It’s ironic that Roco have just chosen to produce an identical vehicle (hopefully with slightly different lettering etc) in their 2020 range.

CZ-CDC Hbbillns - Albert Modell

On the subject of Roco they have announced a few interesting Czech items for 2020 just a shame the 810 DMU’s aren’t in CD colours. Might order a Goggle in Green livery and a few of the current livery coaches.

Thanks

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, JBr said:

They should be more red than orange and the front black/grey.

Here is a nice detail photo of them, from Emergency services exercise -- https://litomericky.denik.cz/galerie/takticke-cviceni-v-lovochemii.html?photo=9

That’s a great link, I’ll paint the buffer heads grey and the headstocks red. Another job to the list :-) 

Thanks

Neil

Big news this update, the layout has a name at last, I’ll rename this thread “Česky Západ” in the next update.

As I said earlier when in Czech mode the layout is based in the west of the Czech Republic near the German Border which allows the operation of former DR Diesels on short cross border passenger trains.

Cesky Zapad - Igra Model HO

I was also born in the West Country (Bristol) and currently live in the West of Scotland so there is a little bit of meaning behind the name as Západ is the Czech for west.

The signs were just produced in Word and printed at home.

Thanks

Neil

• Like 7

• Neils WRX changed the title to Česky Západ - HO Czech Layout

I’ve renamed this thread and will keep it just for the Czech layout, I will add new threads in due course for the layout when it’s in Danish and Croatian modes.

Here’s a cross border service worked by a Roco DBAG 232. This is just how I remember 232’s in DR Maroon Colours. Only thing missing is a black exhaust trail.

• Like 4

Great looking layout. I’ve developed an interest in the CSD via my interest in the East German DR and cross border workings. 

Wonder if if you could help me, do you know when the CSD changed the roof colour of coaches from grey to a kind of beige/light brown colour? 

Many thanks,

Simon

On 08/02/2020 at 11:39, SimonBoulton said:

Great looking layout. I’ve developed an interest in the CSD via my interest in the East German DR and cross border workings. 

Wonder if if you could help me, do you know when the CSD changed the roof colour of coaches from grey to a kind of beige/light brown colour? 

Many thanks,

Simon

Thanks for the positive comments.

CSD is a bit early for me.

Not really sure of the answer, but my CD coaches have a range of colour roofs ranging from brown to light / mid grey. From about 2008 the roofs seemed to be a darker grey.

• RMweb Gold
On 08/02/2020 at 11:39, SimonBoulton said:

Many thanks,

Simon

Roundhouse will know.

On 08/02/2020 at 12:39, SimonBoulton said:

The change came with the introduction of the unified livery system 88 (aka "unifik 88", 88 meaning 1988), so at the end of 1980s. But not all the coaches were painted immediately, so a combination of beige and grey on one train is possible. Unifik 88 also introduced the 60 cm wide yellow stripe on locomotives.

On 13/02/2020 at 23:42, Neils WRX said:

Not really sure of the answer, but my CD coaches have a range of colour roofs ranging from brown to light / mid grey. From about 2008 the roofs seemed to be a darker grey.

For some unknown reason, Tillig was painting roof of ČD coaches wrong colors for a long time. The white/green ČD coaches should have their roofs painted either white or grey. Another change came with the unified corporate color scheme ("Najbrt") that was introduced in 2008 and the coaches started being repainted in white/blue. Between 2008 and 2011 with grey roof, after 2011 with blue roof and thin white stripe right under the roof.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Roundhouse will know.

Since we started visiting in 2004 they were generally dirty brown with white showing through on the ridges of the framing. Still need to find a way to represent that on the models. Ought to service the stock before the layouts first show this weekend in Tenterden

36 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Since we started visiting in 2004 they were generally dirty brown with white showing through on the ridges of the framing. Still need to find a way to represent that on the models. Ought to service the stock before the layouts first show this weekend in Tenterden

In 2004 pretty much all the rolling stock was sporting the ČD white/green colors for few years already, so the "rusty dirt over white" scheme fits.

Simon was originally asking about ČSD colors, at that time the coaches were painted with dark green, like in this picture (although the train in the picture is a special train with vintage coaches).

image.png.f51255f016249fc926c3fe09f0923359.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Managed a few jobs since the last update, the crane inside the factory has been painted.

Overhead Factory Crane

I’ve also been experimenting with different scatter / static grass materials to enhance the rough scrubland areas of the layout.

Ground Cover Scenics

Ground Cover Scenics

Hunting through the scrap box the other day I found some plastic piles of logs which will do an excellent job once painted of being a wagon load for my “CD Cargo OTA” wagon.

Just need the rain to stop for a bit so I can spray outside.

CD Kbps - www.ES-Pecky.cz

Thanks

Neil

• Like 5