Compatibility between 2fs and N?

daniel8910

Hey guys

Just wondering, what is the compatibility between N and 2fs? Is 2mm scale stock able to run on N track, or vice versa? or is it only newer stock?

Little confused by the issue, would greatly appreciate some enlightenment on the issue!

Thanks very much :)

Try looking at the 2mm Association website (http://2mm.org.uk/articles/getting_started/index.html)

This states that 2FS has a track gauge of 9.42 mm and a scale of 1:152, whereas N has a 9mm track gauge with three associated scales (1:148, 1:150 or 1:160).

As such, I would say N and 2FS are not compatible, but I don't model in either scale.

I think I've heard (don't quote me on this lol) that 2mm stuff will run on plain n gauge track but not go through the crossings points on n gauge points

If you can get the axles then you could re wheel the 2mm wagons to run on n gauge and you can get wheelsets from the 2mm society to rewheel NGauge stuff to 2mm

Brian

Hi

There are several ways where 2mm components can be used for N gauge and vice verse.

While British 2mm is technically 1:152, many modellers, including myself, use RTR N gauge rolling stock with new 2fs wheel sets. This is kind of the same thing as using RTR Hornby and Bachmann stock with new wheels and EM/P4 track.

You can also use most new N gauge RTR stock on 2fs plain track as the treads are wide enough to traverse the wider gauge. The issue comes with points as you can't use N gauge wheels with 2fs and you can't use 2fs wheels with N gauge such as Peco.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Martin

I think I've heard (don't quote me on this lol) that 2mm stuff will run on plain n gauge track but not go through the crossings points on n gauge points

If you can get the axles then you could re wheel the 2mm wagons to run on n gauge and you can get wheelsets from the 2mm society to rewheel NGauge stuff to 2mm

Brian

It's the other way around as Martin says it. New N gauge wheels will run happily on PLAIN 9.42 mm track, but the reverse obviously doesn't work, nor will it work with anything other than plain track.

Quentin

• RMweb Gold

Hi Daniel,

Broadly speaking, track and wheel standards are designed to work in tandem with each other, so it's best to adopt one complete system or the other.

Proper 2mm track will always offer better running than RTR because not only are they finer but they are generally built in situ to a geometry to suit the location, rather than to a track plan where a limited range of components are shoe-horned into the space.

Peco points are a marvel of mass-production, and very cleverly designed to cope with a variety of RTR standards, but this does mean that smoothness is compromised with some stock.

And because the gauge is larger for 2mm, and flanges etc are finer, 2mm wheelsets will not work reliably through N gauge turnouts and crossings.

An interesting new development is finescale N gauge track from http://www.britishfinescale.comwhich is suitable for modern N gauge wheelsets (with the finer flanges than yesteryear) but offers a finer appearance. I have built some straight track and a turnout and was impressed; I have putative plans for a small home layout (I usually operate a club layout) and am anticipating using it.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Hey guys

Just wondering, what is the compatibility between N and 2fs? Is 2mm scale stock able to run on N track, or vice versa? or is it only newer stock?

Little confused by the issue, would greatly appreciate some enlightenment on the issue!

Thanks very much :)

These are two different track and wheel standards. There is some 'wiggle' room in that most newer N gauge stock with finer wheels - becoming pretty well standard these days - will run on the wider - 9.42mm gauge - 'plain' 2FS gauge track without problem. However, because they are set wider 2FS wheelsets can't/won't run on the narrower - 9.00mm gauge - N gauge track. No rolling stock, N or 2FS, can run through pointwork set to the other standard. The nearest general comparison is OO against EM.

As has been said there is now N gauge track being produced that uses the finer code 40 rail commonly use in 2mm/2FS, but with pointwork that can be built to N gauge standards.

Izzy

As has been said there is now N gauge track being produced that uses the finer code 40 rail commonly use in 2mm/2FS, but with pointwork that can be built to N gauge standards.

I can't see anything on the website quoting the check and wing rail clearances for the Finescale N track, but it looks to me as if they are still closer to N than 2FS, so I would imagine that 2FS wheels will still get 'lost' in the crossing flangeways, as the wider check rail clearance will not keep the flange away from the crossing nose.  There will also be a distinct 'dip; as the wheelset crosses the wingrail-crossing gap.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim,

Yes, I think that any stock rewheeled to 2mmA standards wont work on the Finescale N track.

It is designed for the newer, finer N gauge wheels (to NMRA RP25 wheel profile) now fitted as standard to RTR stock, and is optimised for use with those.

At the moment it is only available in bullhead, however I understand flat bottom is under development.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

The two scales are close enough that many (most?) 2FS modellers use N Gauge stock. A 2FS 63' Mk1 would be about 3mm shorter than a N gauge equivalent. Put a 1:152 model next to a 1:148 model and the difference would be much less noticeable than putting a 1:148 model next to a 1:160 Continental equivalent.

Wheel and track standards are very different - replacement wheel-sets are (or have been) available to allow N gauge stock to run on 2FS track, and for 2mm Scale Association kits to run on N Gauge track.

The other big difference is the coupling - most fine scale modellers use something more refined than the Rapido coupling (but then so do many N Gauge modellers!)

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

People who seem to know their stuff have told me that 2FS wheelsets will run perfectly on Fleischmann Piccolo N gauge plain track. Not much use for scale appearance but it might make a quick and dirty test track or an oval for running in mechanisms.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

Yes, I think that any stock rewheeled to 2mmA standards wont work on the Finescale N track.

It is designed for the newer, finer N gauge wheels (to NMRA RP25 wheel profile) now fitted as standard to RTR stock, and is optimised for use with those.

At the moment it is only available in bullhead, however I understand flat bottom is under development.

cheers

Ben A.

2FS profile wheels can be 'persuaded' to run on N gauge track if set to a non-2FS b-t-b of 7.9mm. But they can drop badly into the (point) crossings at times because of the narrower tread width.

I'm not totally sure, but I think the Finescale N track uses 1.0mm flangeways. There was a discussion I followed somewhere - perhaps the N gauge forum - where what size they should be was debated.

Since 2FS wheel flanges are 0.3mm width, and the b-t-b 8.5mm, (some like to use up to 8.6mm), the overall measurement thus being -  flange root to flange root - 9.1mm, this seems to suggest that where 2FS wheelsets run okay on N gauge track, that track must be over-gauge, i.e. greater than 9.1mm. Very useful to know.

Don't know if this all helps the original OP, or causes more confusion! Sorry if it does.

Izzy

Many thanks for all your replies, its quite interesting to read everybody's viewpoints on the matter. So basically, its a case of choosing either 2fs or N, and sticking with it! As far as i can see, some of the upsides to 2fs is that you know it is to scale, it looks lovely (although FiNescale will also bring this to N gauge track), and you get the pleasure of scratchbuilding most of your layout/stock...however the rewheeling costs seem to be rather high indeed, for someone with a lot of money already invested in N gauge...tricky decision... :scratchhead:

Hi Daniel, it can be a confusing issue for a newcomer to the scale(s) / gauge(s). I am possibly in a similar position as you, an N gauge modeller who admires enormously the quality of model making and model engineering seen in 2FS layouts... one of these days I will make the leap!

People are entirely right to say that the two are totally different sets of standards which for various historical coincidences and contrivances end up similarly sized, but cannot be mixed up. This is kind of true but at the same time there is scope to bend the rules remembering at all times that it is your train set....!

I'd recommend you browse through Tom's Ropley blog, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/347/entry-17088-ropley-off-piste/ (see the index on the right hand side) as it is an interesting and well presented case study of a layout that while nominally N gauge, using the best of modern RTR stock, has trackwork based on 2FS easitrac with allowances made in the hand built points.

It looks beautiful, is practical to operate with stock 'out of the box' and it is fair to say, draws warm appreciation from the most dyed-in-the wool finescale folks for the quality of its modelling.

I imagine it is not an uncommon situation to be in...one begins by wanting to 'just get something running', and buys some N gauge stuff, then when one as finally heavily invested in N gauge, you notice that finescale 2mm track on the forum..and the hankering for better standards begins! :O  :scratchhead: Ahh yes, i have heard of Ropley on this forum a few times now, i will go have a look.

Thanks for the advice Will! :)

i have and use a  kato wide 19" I think  unitrack  oval as a running in track for my 2mm conversions without issues,  however most of my stuff is converted diesels / short wheel base. . 

That's very interesting. Given that, here in Australia, Kato Unitrack is available off the shelf, whereas Piccolo isn't, I think Santa may be getting a small request. Diesels are my preferred poison too.

Archived