Hornby Dublo "tribute" Garratt model?

gr.king

Sorry Tony, I never use ammeters so could not help you.  All I can say is the loco has 2 x 1/2" motors fitted with 5 pole armatures and super Neo magnets.  I am not keen on the Neos having read a few stories about them causing rapid wear and also first hand knowledge of them splitting and cracking so mine have all been replaced with originals.  It goes without saying the issues of Neos in the EMU.  These keep trying to attach themselves to the tin body even when fitted in the motor frame.  I did pack a body out with card to stop it having too much side movement but the best option was a remag on the original Ringfield magnet.  The chipped/cracked photos here are from my own locos, the one with plating coming away was from the internet.

Garry

post-22530-0-20649600-1459248116_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-43703400-1459248128_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-38326000-1459248148_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-37037800-1459248207_thumb.jpg

I have heard some of the strong Ringfield's will actually pull a tinplate wagon of an adjoining track although I have not experienced it myself.  I have seen photos of bearings that have been "ovalised" due to the extra pull from the magnet.  Whether plastic body or not if the magnet chips it can damage the motor so I personally keep well away from them now.

Garry

If the neodymium magnets are susceptible to chipping/flaking/cracking, then why not simply wrap them in tape before installation, then nothing can get into the mechanism in the event of the magnet splitting. A cheap, undersize, general purpose neo cube magnet will give the necessary field strength at a fraction of the price of a professional re-mag so there's no need to put in one of the full size, dearer, custom shaped, super "macho" magnets that can stress the bearings.

Hi Tony, I have one of Ron Dodds magnetisers and had it about 12 months now and it is brilliant, safe as well as it operates from 12volts and you can see the difference.  Once bought it will last and if a remag is required then it is about 1 minute or less to set up.  Most motors can be done in situ to.  I have heard of people painting the Neos with varnish but I went back to originals, especially for the Dublo Ringfield's.

Well done Stewart, nice to know some people offer a good service.

Garry

Hi Tony, I have one of Ron Dodds magnetisers and had it about 12 months now and it is brilliant, safe as well as it operates from 12volts and you can see the difference.  Once bought it will last and if a remag is required then it is about 1 minute or less to set up.  Most motors can be done in situ to.  I have heard of people painting the Neos with varnish but I went back to originals, especially for the Dublo Ringfield's.

Well done Stewart, nice to know some people offer a good service.

Garry

Garry.

I had communications with Ron Dodd some time back regarding the magitiser but I couldn't justify the cost for the amount of use I would have for it.

Good on you Stewart, that's great to know.

• RMweb Premium

What's a good fault?

A common one that you know how to fix? Better than an unknown fault that takes ages to find, then you can't fix it because, for example its a type of plastic, that you can't glue.

Here is the information I have on the Garratts from my friend

Concerning the Garretts, they are certainly not restricted to the Chiltern Hills mob and are available in both 2 and 3 rail in RWS or BWS boxes as appropriate, also available as BR or LMS livery. I have very nearly sold the first batch of 15 but more bodies are on order and I have a stock of chassis so the next build will certainly be ready early next year. I have attached a bit of info. We have not advertised at all so far, entirely word of mouth. We did run one at the Warley, it pulled 84 Dublo wagons with ease, it would have done many more but the wagons were pulled off, inwards, on the standard radius curves!

See you at Doncaster, all the best,

The project started when Derek Smith made himself a model of the LMS Beyer Garrett locomotive using parts from the Hornby Dublo 2-6-4 tank, two ½” motors and a Kitmaster kit. I spent some time nagging Derek to make one for me until I mentioned that I had access to a fully equipped machine shop. This meant we could make any custom parts we needed and, via my contacts around Manchester, actually make parts in quantity. This was the start of our first joint project and, in retrospect, probably the most difficult project we could have chosen. We have overcome many obstacles and are now manufacturing.

The wheels and running gear are from a 2-6-4 tank donor but the chassis are machined from solid brass, the two motors are basically Hornby Dublo ½” motors fitted with Superneo magnets and 5 pole armatures, these give good low speed running and plenty of power. Effectively when using this loco you will be double heading and if your controller isn’t man enough to double head Dublo locos it won’t be suitable for the Beyer Garrett, especially as we expect it to be pulling many wagons. The choice of brass for the chassis was to get long bearing life but as brass is denser than steel the extra weigh is beneficial. In addition the boiler section is mainly white metal with brass parts; this all contributes to the traction weight.

The cost is £495.

Hi. Could someone please give me the contact details for Derek Smith? I've searched but cannot find anything, and I live in New Zealand so can't meet him at an exhibition. I'd be really grateful for help. All the best, Robert

Hello Robert,

Derek Smith is un-contactable as for as the internet/e-mail is concerned but the chap you want to speak to is John Bann who has done the chassis's for these locos.  His e-mail is john@jrbann.co.uk

Garry

Hello Garry

Thanks so much for you reply, I will try getting in touch with John. I am building a layout which combines Tri-ang (Standard track), Trix Twin and Hornby Dublo and would love to have a Garratt to run on the Dublo part.

all the best, Robert

Theoretically they will all run on Trix fibre base track with universal points*, though I can't guarantee that Dublo locos will negotiate the sharp 13½" radius curves. (There is no problem with the large radius curves - if you can call 15 3/4" large.)

* The pointwork comes in Trix standards and the later (and collectable :( ) universal type. I have seen instructions for converting the former to universal, but can't remember where.

• 2 weeks later...

After a hic-cup with my last video here is my Dublo Garratt with 42 on icon_e_biggrin.gif . My only issue was trying to keep the wagons coupled up especially the first Dublo 6 wheel stove van as its plastic pin coupling kept lifting due to the weight of the train. With all the other stoves having Kadee's on I had to place this one where Dublo couplings were used. This train does go more than half way around the layout and is heavy to pull by hand. On the layout in normal operation there will be no trains of this length running so I don't need to try anymore as this is more than sufficient for me.

Another clip this time with 60 on but that is it.  There is only a short distance between the loco and guards van so no more additions.

Great service from John though (he made all the chassis's).  As soon as he saw (heard) and did not like the original Garratt he did a 140/160 mile round trip to exchange it for this one.  I am more than happy with both loco and service. 

He did say he could not find anything wrong with it at home and has had it pulling 60 wagons.

Garry

I always count the axles, thus bogie wagons count as 2 vehicles and by the same reckoning a 6 wheel van would be 1½ vehicles. This would raise your impressive train to around 65 vehicles.....  Dublo's plastic couplings were a retrograde step (the nylon one is particularly floppy), but necessary to prevent 2 rail short circuits. I prefer insulated bushes and metal couplings myself.

My miserable little test oval has only room for about 20 vehicles, which Dublo locos laugh at (Some Tri-ang struggle....), but the curves are Trix large radius - 15.75" - which doesn't help free running.

Archived