Class 15 pre heat unit liveries

Wolf27

Hi All

I have a Heljan Class 15 that is a non runner and would like to modify it to represent one of the four pre heat unit. Favourite at the moment is ADB968000 which appear to have carried two shades of green. So far I have worked out that it was repainted around 84/85 into dark green with BR arrows, prior to this it looks like it was in a lighter green but only have found one pic so far. Does anyone have reliable info for repainting dates and shades of green used?

Cheers

Shane

• RMweb Gold

This is my photo of it at Stratford in the light green. I know it looks different from the one two posts above, I may have been using a different brand of colour film compared to the the other photographer.  Mine was Agfa

post-5613-0-34673900-1449170929_thumb.jpg

Stratford MPD Class 15 ADB968000 mobile train heating unit July 79 C4637

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 1

The light green used was Sherwood Green (the lighter shade on a class 25 and 47). I obtained a sample many years ago when it was being painted for a Stratford depot event in 1978.

post-4697-0-06610400-1449170907.jpg

Dave beat me to it this time but it does demonstrate interpretation of colour by film manufacturers, mine being Kodak Ektachrone X

Edited by BrushVeteran

Thanks for the swift replies, it looks like Sherwood green from 78 to 85, which will fit in with the plan. What colour before that then? I would assume weather beaten original green but SYP or FYE?

cheers

Shane

Section removed - I should've said duck egg blue for the small cab panels, not sherwood green. Oops!

D8243 probably had full yellow ends when in service, as this photo shows it wore the original two-tone green livery as a carriage heater in 1978.

Edit:

Just found this website which states:

D8243 new 02/61, w/n 02/69 - FYE, small arrow logo, original numbers with 'D' 01/67. (Into departmental stock as ADB968000). No data panel when withdrawn. After use as pre-heating unit, loco cut up by V Berry, Leicester 02/91

Edited by Wherry Lines

• RMweb Premium

Sherwood Green was always used on the BTH's, but only on the cab end panels. The rest of the loco was the usual darker green. 

D8243 probably had full yellow ends when in service, as this photo shows it wore the original two-tone green livery as a carriage heater in 1978.

Edit:

Just found this website which states:

D8243 new 02/61, w/n 02/69 - FYE, small arrow logo, original numbers with 'D' 01/67. (Into departmental stock as ADB968000). No data panel when withdrawn. After use as pre-heating unit, loco cut up by V Berry, Leicester 02/91

Hi Simon

The cab fronts/ends were painted duck egg blue.

I beg to differ on the point above. The 'as-built' green was BR Standard Green and the cab panels were not green or grey, but 'duck egg blue' as it is commonly named. This information comes straight from the Class 15 Preseration Society.

The loco pictured was repainted in Sherwood Green.

Bah! Beaten to it by Chris. In that case, the point above his!

Thanks for the swift replies, it looks like Sherwood green from 78 to 85, which will fit in with the plan. What colour before that then? I would assume weather beaten original green but SYP or FYE?

cheers

Shane

I remember them all, in their original colours, in the early 70`s.

ADB968000 was in BR as withdrawn livery, except for the number change and a bit tatty, until 1978 and then repainted as noted earlier. ADB968001 was in all over GSYP and Lion & Wheel emblem when I saw it in Stratford works in 1981. Photos of both locos can be found here. https://www.flickr.com/photos/95430950@N07/albums/72157641380484764/with/12707601884/

Paul J.

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

I have a Heljan Class 15 that is a non runner and would like to modify it to represent one of the four pre heat unit. Favourite at the moment is ADB968000 which appear to have carried two shades of green. So far I have worked out that it was repainted around 84/85 into dark green with BR arrows, prior to this it looks like it was in a lighter green but only have found one pic so far. Does anyone have reliable info for repainting dates and shades of green used?

Cheers

Shane

If you loco is  a non-runner due to a defective motor, which it seems is an issue with some Heljan 15's and 16's, then visiting here :- http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/index.html  might prove of interest - it's a great site with plently of inspiration anyway. Look at the November and December updates. They are currently experimenting with fitting Mitsumi motors supplied by Cambridge Custom Transfers (John Isherwood) as replacements from Howes aren't available at present.

Izzy

Random thought - if they couldn't move under their own power, why do they have yellow ends?

It is a bit odd considering that the ETHEL'S didn't have yellow ends and they were used on the mainline within train.

Regards

Vin

If you loco is  a non-runner due to a defective motor, which it seems is an issue with some Heljan 15's and 16's, then visiting here :- http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/index.html  might prove of interest - it's a great site with plently of inspiration anyway. Look at the November and December updates. They are currently experimenting with fitting Mitsumi motors supplied by Cambridge Custom Transfers (John Isherwood) as replacements from Howes aren't available at present.

Izzy

Thanks Izzy

The motor is indeed one of the defective batch. I have stripped out all the internals which are going into a Claytons so the motor info is useful. I also have a class 14 with a duff motor. Wonder if it's the same type?

Cheers

Shane

Thanks Izzy

The motor is indeed one of the defective batch. I have stripped out all the internals which are going into a Claytons so the motor info is useful. I also have a class 14 with a duff motor. Wonder if it's the same type?

Hi Shane, when my dads 14 went up in smoke we got a replacement clayton motor from Howes and it was the same exept the 14 doesnt need the twin flywheels they come with, easy fix really.

Hth

Jamea

Cheers

Shane

Thanks Izzy

Hi Shane, when my dads 14 went up in smoke we got a replacement clayton motor from Howes and it was the same exept the 14 doesnt need the twin flywheels they come with, easy fix really.

Hth

Jamea

Cheers

Shane

Thanks James, I have enquired about a replacement motor for the 14 so hopefully I can make it a runner in the new year.

cheers

Shane