What have I done? (DCC for this dummy)

great central

Having hung my nose over a TTS 37 since they first came out, I took the plunge and bought one in Chester Model Centre's Black Friday sale, well, £68.75 delivered seemed too good to let pass.

Anyhow, not possessing a DCC controller I borrowed the club one to try it out at home.

Everything's fine up to now. 37 works OK, I have read that the sound can be improved somewhat, I think it's better already having stuffed a few folds of kitchen paper into the body to reduce the hollowness.

Anyway, a while back I managed to obtain a Hornby sound Black 5 at a very advantageous price so brought that out to play as well. Still going Ok, although I do think the Black 5 sound isn't great for something that sold for over £200 (if memory serves?)

Having operated Graham Clark's Netherwood Sidings at several shows I do have some idea of the principles of DCC, although I don't get into the technicalities.

Now my problem begins, I don't have an info sheet for the Black 5 but found out it's address, 5377, the last 4 digits of it's running number (logical really). Then I tried to get clever and double head the two of them, up my yard and a half test track.

Following ( or so I thought) the instruction booklet with the controller (Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance)  I made a consist of the two locos. That is where it all went wrong.

The  37 still works normally, the black 5 seems to only move when I select address 1 but the functions are still on 5377.

Does anyone have an info sheet for the black 5 they could perhaps scan for me or is there a default reset code I can use which I presume would reset the chip to it's factory settings?

Any help gratefully received, is there a DCC for dummies book? :jester:

Sounds like you may have set the "consist address" in the decoder of the black 5.   This is CV19.   If you can read this CV on the programming track, and it reads as value 1, then you have set it.   Write a new value of 0 (zero) to CV19 to clear it.

( if its not this, you won't do any harm setting CV19 to zero, it is the default value it should take )

- Nigel

Archived