Station Shops

I decided to start a new topic for the construction of the shops behind Barkham Green Station, rather than put it in the main original section, which is here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49278-barkham-green-gwr-oo-layout/

That way everything for the build is in the same place and easier for people to follow, since someone once asked me to document how I did my buildings.

post-254-0-03829300-1449343600.jpg

First thing I did was to construct a cardboard mock up to see how it would look

post-254-0-00194900-1449343620_thumb.jpg

As per usual it will be as a seperate module that will slot in behind the station, and makes it easier to get at everything

post-254-0-60287100-1449343642.jpg

Cutting out the first layer of plasticard having cut out 18 windows, I'm just in the process of fitting the lintels

post-254-0-89380100-1449343669.jpg

I have been collecting photographs of suitable shops both locally and off the web. I'm now using Gimp to re-size the Photos to the right scale and also that they are all the same size

post-254-0-97812400-1449343695.jpg

Checking how they fit on the module, still need another shop

post-254-0-68544500-1449343719.jpg

Checking that the Langley models pilasters are the right size for the Trump shop

Edited by vulcanbomber
  • Like 4

post-254-0-31256400-1450370192.jpg

Completed first 2 windows. I had to break the long 1st layer into sets of 2 windows, because I found it was impossible to get the long two layers to match up because of build up of tolerances. The arches are made by cutting and gluing individual bricks in place and then finish shaping the arch when they are dry.

post-254-0-55711200-1450370212.jpg

Whilst that was drying made a start on the first shop window. I marked it out using a printout of the picture from the PC. To the right is the pentil draughtsman's pencil which I use for marking up. If you use an ordinary pencil it's amazing the different thicknesses of a pencil line, and just builds up errors

• Like 3

Decided I will build the station shops in two halves, so I'm pushing on with the first half.

I wanted to get the shops fronts decided, so I started the next one

post-254-0-35587600-1450717161.jpg

The first problem I hit was the Langley columns are wider than the originals, so I had to modify it slightly so it would fit into the allocated space

post-254-0-91515600-1450717191.jpg

So now it's four windows wide.

I cut out the window opening in the first layer, placed it over some graph paper, with the frame drawn on and then using 1mm half round plastic strips proceeded to cut and glue them in place using Slater's Mek-Pak. I will then cut around the frame with a sharp scalpel to remove most of the paper, you can see I have done one already

I have also fitted one of the columns. I had to reduce this in height and also do a bit of filing so it is half relief.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did some work on terraced buidling

post-254-0-57795500-1453653913.jpg

As you can see I have cut out all windows and completed the arches for one half

post-254-0-65716200-1453653946.jpg

Fitted the etched windows, by holding them is place with strips of plastic, hoping to do the same with the glazing and then fix in place with tape. Since there are 36 windows in total I don't want any of them moving or falling out.

• Like 7

Wet afternoon time to finish of half of terrace ready for painting

Going to try this method From Gravy Train http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74067-show-us-your-scratchbuilt-building/page-37

Hi Richard,

thanks for your favourable comments, 'The brickwork' nothing fancy, in this case an initial coat of Humbrol no64 for the mortar followed by semi dry brushing with no 70 brick red at a 45degree angle with a flat brush, two coats.

Dry brush weathering on the finish once all is dry, I sometimes vary the colour of the mortar colour under window sills under gutters and at base of buildings just to get a sense of realism.

One extremely important thing to bare in mind is that the overall colour of a painted brick surface is more emphasised by the mortar colour not the brick colour, its worth experimenting to see this.

In the past I have tried to alter the brick colour too much but if you change the colour of the mortar what a difference it can make :-)

post-254-0-00598000-1453823430_thumb.jpg

The lintels are from http://www.gtbuildingsmodels.co.uk/

Seeing how it looks in situ

post-254-0-15837200-1453823463.jpg

Run out of plastic sheet!

So need to buy

Paint

40 thou plasticard to build walls and rest of shops

Going to use 80 thous for floor and pavement

• Like 5

Finished one shop front by adding the entrance and giving it a first coat of paint.

Wanted to see how the whole was going to look with the shop roof fitted, for which I had just enough plasticard

So I mocked up the rest using mounting board.

Once I got it how to look right,I have now learnt how the plasticard will have to be cut.

Also decided to make the shop roof removable, will fastened it to the back of the terrace with black electrical tape, which will stop any light showing between the gap in the 2 sections

post-254-0-35376400-1454012073.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the shocking weather made quite a bit of progress

post-254-0-29854100-1454755552.jpg

4th shop front done and painted

post-254-0-13351300-1454755573.jpg

Finished painting this shop front. It's called "BOONE" because that's all the plastic letters I had left

post-254-0-45130900-1454755590.jpg

How the 3 now look, still need to add two doors and the glazing. The card mock ups has now been replaced by 0.060 styrene I was lucky enough to get a sheet of it,so I will be able to the pavement as one strip

Have done quite a bit of work on the terrace behind just need to finish off adding glazing

• Like 10

Well that's one half of the terrace painted,following Gravy Train's method, windows fitted and glazed. Just got to do the window sills. By the side is the Scrawk tool I use to cut the glazing, for which I use old CD cases.

post-254-0-77958800-1454960116.jpg

When I looked at the pic of the "Boone" store, didn't think it was the same standard as the rest.

So sometimes it;s worth tearing things up and starting again.

I've spent most of the day doing that, which involves a slight design change, and once it is finished will post hopefully tomorrow.

• Like 5

Well I managed to finish the new "BOONE" store, which to my mind looks a lot better. The camera is good for picking up bits which need more work as I can see a couple of places where more painting is required.

Although it's not apparent in the photo glazing has been added to this and the "Blue" shop

post-254-0-64817300-1455120871.jpg

An overall view of progress to date.

post-254-0-08719700-1455120933.jpg

This will have to do for now as we have the Grandchildren coming on holiday, (the scalpel and Stanley knife have been hidden) and then we are away just after for a couple of weeks ourselves.

A major hold up now is aquiring some more brick styrene sheet wilthout paying exhorbitant postage, probably wait until Ali Pali

• Like 5

Since I can't do any actual modelling at the moment playing with the PC to see what a 1/76 scale cereal packet would look like

post-254-0-66843700-1455197075.png

This is 1/12 scale box taken from a dolls house site

http://www.jensprintables2.com/grocerycereal.htm

I have measured a box at home as 9in wide x 3in deep x 9in high

This would give true dimension for above shape of 27in x 18in ( eg 3=9+3+9+3 etc)

However if I try to scale the above pic to 4mm to the foot basically 9mm x 6mm You can't really see what it is.

Is there a way to do this or am I trying to do the impossible?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-254-0-87913700-1460399659.jpg

Well because of the rain managed to make some progress, although it has been a case of two steps forward and one back!

As you can see I have managed to cut out the lower set of windows in the second half of the terrace. In the first terrace the shop party walls line up with the columns between the windows, however when I did a test fit of the 2nd terrace they didn't line up, the BOONE shop was too wide!

.Well I've never really liked it anyway so it was a case of starting that shop front again. First I had to reduce the width of the base, then I built the new shop front, which in fact will be two separate small shops hence two doors.

I'm now about to start cutting out the second set of windows. You will notice some of the windows have fallen out of the first terrace, I used tape to hold them in place and I'm not impressed, When I come to fit windows in the second half I will try a different method and then if successful redo  the first set of terrace windows.

I have also made a start with building up the party walls above the shops whilst some other parts dry.

I haven't made a start on the final set of shops yet, because until I put the end wall on the terrace  I can't be sure  what the shop width will be.

I do have an idea for one of the shops, it is a real 1930's fish and chip shop  but haven't worked out yet how to model it

post-254-0-89497500-1460400585.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifrps20160411_193208.jpg

Well because of the rain managed to make some progress, although it has been a case of two steps forward and one back!

As you can see I have managed to cut out the lower set of windows in the second half of the terrace. In the first terrace the shop party walls line up with the columns between the windows, however when I did a test fit of the 2nd terrace they didn't line up, the BOONE shop was too wide!

.Well I've never really liked it anyway so it was a case of starting that shop front again. First I had to reduce the width of the base, then I built the new shop front, which in fact will be two separate small shops hence two doors.

I'm now about to start cutting out the second set of windows. You will notice some of the windows have fallen out of the first terrace, I used tape to hold them in place and I'm not impressed, When I come to fit windows in the second half I will try a different method and then if successful redo  the first set of terrace windows.

I have also made a start with building up the party walls above the shops whilst some other parts dry.

I haven't made a start on the final set of shops yet, because until I put the end wall on the terrace  I can't be sure  what the shop width will be.

I do have an idea for one of the shops, it is a real 1930's fish and chip shop  but haven't worked out yet how to model it

attachicon.gif220px-FishBarOakwood.jpg

Why not take a print of the photograph, scale it down and place it behind some clear plasticard? You will need to treat the door opening as a separate piece but that shouldn't be a problem.

Major milestone reached the second half of the terrace has been added, along with the final piece of base and the end wall. I can now start to build the final shops to fit the space.

post-254-0-95772900-1461399319.jpg

As you can see I have also made a start on the "Fish Bar", I've changed the proportions of the door, the original looked too small when modeled compared to the rest of the shops

• Like 3

If you look in the above pic you will see there is a gap between the green and blue shop. I had a look at the problem this evening and discovered the  size of the model is causing stresses every time I move it and the whole section had split in two!

I was going to screw it down to the plank anyway, but have decided to do it tomorrow before any more damage is caused.

However i will use a  nut and screw, instead of wood screws, with the screw sunk into the underneath of the board with the nut on the building side, this means they can be removed as necessary. I had another idea about the nuts, they can help to hold in place the boxes which is the shop displays will be mounted in.

Well if at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried in the first place. After spending a couple of fruitless days just couldn't reproduce the Fish Bar without it looking a bodge.

So it has been replaced by this, the final shop front. 

post-254-0-24710100-1462033875.jpg

• Like 4

All the shop fronts are now completed and I have added all the glazing. One lesson I learnt doing this was not to add the glazing too early in the build. It too easy to scratch get paint or glue on. I have had to replace several pieces.

post-254-0-74340500-1462206608.jpg

I had to redo the glazing bars on this one. The previous method used too much glue and made the bar too brittle

post-254-0-66837800-1462206483.jpg

How it's done now, Strips of half round evergreen strips woven together

post-254-0-20241900-1462206455.jpg

I have made a start of the paving, and are slowly starting to scribe out the paving stones, having made the strip fit the front of the buildings

post-254-0-14716800-1462206503.jpg

post-254-0-79064500-1462206533.jpg

post-254-0-88775100-1462206558.jpg

post-254-0-22561300-1462206585.jpg

• Like 8