Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Layout logo design

Hi folks,

I have a distinct lack of suitable software to do this, but i would like to produce a logo for my layout.

its a bit run of the mill tongue and cheek, but i was thinking of doing a London Midland Region (location of layout) station name sign, with 'Shaws Long' as the station name.

i am refering to the Sign shaped like a 'Hotdog', don't know the technical name, but its a hotdog shape, lol.

If anyone can name a suitably attainable form of software i can use to create this i would be greatful. but it may be down to doing a microsfot paint job :rolleyes:

many thanks,

Bruce.

ScaleScenes do a downloadable station name pack where you can specify the name of the station on the signs. Why don't you check them out and see if that is a good alternative to making it yourself?

They do a large variety of styles, and from recollection, its only a few quid

• RMweb Gold

If you have WORD go to VIEW and then TOOLBARS and switch on the drawing toolbar. This is using 2003 but you will eventually find them all in the 2007 version.

I started with a black rectangle so this shows up but choose a colour that will allow you to print it out as a sheet that can be stuck to the layout.

Right select autoshapes and the rounded rectangle as shown

post-6968-126737658761_thumb.jpg

Click and drag it out, size can be altered later. See the yellow diamond? click and drag it to the right so you get a semicircle both ends. this is your basic lozenge.

post-6968-126737668272_thumb.jpg

Colour it in. Select the paint pot as shown and choose your colour for the main fill, maroon in this example.

Next select the line colour using thebrush symbol.

post-6968-12673767881_thumb.jpg

Increase the line width as shown

post-6968-12673768267_thumb.jpg

Click on your lozenge, Use the edit menu or right click, copy then paste it so you have 2 images.

The back one of your two will need to be bigger to form the outer part. You may need to reduce the semi circles using the diamond in step 2 for the outer part to look right.

post-6968-126737701206_thumb.jpg

Select a text box, click and drag it out roughly in the right place, type in your text.

Now using the paint pot and brush symbols selct no fill and no line respectively so just the text is left.

post-6968-126737711259_thumb.jpg

Now select the coloured A just to the right of the pot and brush symbols and you can change the font colour to white. Use the font size on the top toolbar to get it the right size and align the textbox to get it in the right place and you should have something like this.

post-6968-126737727462_thumb.jpg

Also check out Station Signs as they do names of yout choice and a new item is larger version (about 12inches long )to put on the facia or pelmet of your layout cost was £5-00 a pair and the scale ones £2-50 a pack. (see my layout Wencombe)

I'm just a satisfied customer.

Archived