ELTEL

• RMweb Premium

Re the bus timetabling.

Did the "on the hour" departures from the station come about purely because it was a convenient time or because it provided a good connection?  In other words, if my 10.58 train arrives late will the 11.00 bus wait for it?

Whatever time the bus departs, could miss somebody's rail connection by a few minutes.

We also have to fit in with local bus operators so as not to cause any disruption to local services..

Hope that helps to explain.

Terry

• RMweb Premium

EXHIBITION UPDATE 5/2/2016

Unfortunately due to family illness Paul Lunn will not be at exhibition over the weekend.

He sends his apologies for any inconvenience.

Terry

• RMweb Premium

Just back from the show - very enjoyable. Seemed busy but not packed so it was quite comfortable to see the layouts and visit the trade I wanted to.

Arrived at the showground at 09:30 and was able to park on tarmac, however the parking seemed to be filling up fast. Quite large areas of the grass were

roped off.

Graham

Have to say the car parking is again a mess this year, no stewarding, the grass is very wet and I fancy a few will get bogged down in it, the venue would really be better off at least converting the grass areas to cinders if they cant afford to tarmac it all. Because of teh car perking I dont think Ill be back next year.

• RMweb Premium

Have to say the car parking is again a mess this year, no stewarding, the grass is very wet and I fancy a few will get bogged down in it, the venue would really be better off at least converting the grass areas to cinders if they cant afford to tarmac it all. Because of teh car perking I dont think Ill be back next year.

There were a couple of stewards in the car park when I arrived, although not really enough to get the parking organised and it becomes a 'free for all' with people driving round in all directions.

I suspect the problem is when they can't use the grass, there isn't really a plan B.

Just arrived back from the show. I am sure I will get round to posting a more detailed blog entry later. I will say that I enjoyed the show, I was there from 10.45 - 3.30pm. A good range of layouts and trade. I spent a bit and could have spent more.

I agree with the car parking issue to some degree. There were some stewards present, but probably not enough. The car parking was not helped by another event being on at the same time. That said we were directed to a decent parking spot by a steward and did not get stuck so can't complain.

There were some areas that were very muddy and I did see some cars needing to be towed out. These were ones who had not reversed onto the grass. I also saw one person who ignored the stewards advice and shouts and drove right across the grass into the very wet central area. That idiot did deserve to get beached!

An enjoyable show. If I had time I would go back for another look tomorrow.

• RMweb Premium

Definitely stewards there directing traffic when we arrived and giving quite clear instructions. The car in front ignored his advice and parked on the wet stuff - deserves to get stuck. Also lots of folk driving on to the grass forwards rather than reversing on and putting the driven wheels near the tarmac. Where has common sense gone?

• RMweb Premium

Definitely stewards there directing traffic when we arrived and giving quite clear instructions. The car in front ignored his advice and parked on the wet stuff - deserves to get stuck. Also lots of folk driving on to the grass forwards rather than reversing on and putting the driven wheels near the tarmac. Where has common sense gone?

In fairness, I suppose some of the chaos I observed may have been the result of people ignoring the stewards, rather than a lack of them.

• RMweb Premium

When your club holds an exhibition, how many members volunteer to spend the weekend in the rain stewarding the car park, rather than spend it inside the hall operating the layouts?

Geoff Endacott

I had assumed, perhaps wrongly then, that the stewards were provided by the Showground.  If they don't, perhaps they should?

• RMweb Gold

When your club holds an exhibition, how many members volunteer to spend the weekend in the rain stewarding the car park, rather than spend it inside the hall operating the layouts?

Geoff Endacott

If it's their club don't ask for volunteers just tell them... it's for their benefit after all.

I must admit that I didn't bother partaking once I saw the rain. Got bogged before there and have no wish to repeat the experience. I blame Mr.York for his weather forecast ;)

• RMweb Premium

Managed to find a bit of tarmac. I was directed from the entrance off to the right but didn't see anyone directing after that. Helped to push someone else's car off the grass when I was leaving.

Anyway a very enjoyable show, my first visit. I never stay at shows for all that long (if I watch a layout for 10 minutes I'm doing very well, might ask why I go to shows but I still enjoy them). I'd not been before so my first impression was "thought it would be bigger", then saw the doorway through to the next hall, then saw another doorway and thought "There's more?!"

Hi

Also just back from the exhibition.  Yes there were problems with the rain and the car parking and the mud and the wet grass but that's British weather.  OK there may be solutions and things that can be done in the future but other than that as a first time visitor I thought the venue was good and very accessible and easy to find. 

More importantly - what a great exhibition - I thought it was one of the best I have ever been too I really enjoyed myself.   Excellent range of traders and a really good mix of layouts - eras and scales.  As a modern image modeller I was so pleased to see a good number of modern layouts - thought Vopak - Barry Docks was amazing - fantastic modelling. 

I was with some friends who have two young boys - it was interesting seeing the exhibition a little through their eyes.  This isn't a criticism just I hope a helpful observation - I didn't see much if at all in the way of Voyagers, Pendolinos, Eurostar etc.  these are the trains they are growing up with.  Just a thought to try to include a layout that has these - partly to appeal to the younger generation and hopefully draw the next generation of model railway enthusiasts into the hobby.  (Don't tell me if there was such a layout and I missed it!!!!).

Thank you for a great afternoon and and for such an excellent exhibition.

PS  I don't mean to imply that the youngsters are not interested in steam - just that generally they don't see steam engines so much. 

I went up with a friend and really enjoyed it, we didn't arrive until lunchtime when it felt quite busy but it was a lot more pleasant towards the end of the day. Thankyou to all that put on a great show,  hopefully we can make it back next year.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent range of traders and a really good mix of layouts - eras and scales.  As a modern image modeller I was so pleased to see a good number of modern layouts - thought Vopak - Barry Docks was amazing - fantastic modelling.

I really don't like the modern railway and still spent quite some time (by my standards) watching some excellent modern image layouts, a good layout is a good layout no matter the time and place.

I was with some friends who have two young boys - it was interesting seeing the exhibition a little through their eyes.  This isn't a criticism just I hope a helpful observation - I didn't see much if at all in the way of Voyagers, Pendolinos, Eurostar etc.  these are the trains they are growing up with.

There might've been Voyagers at Hinksey Yard. I didn't see any while I was watching but IIRC their blurb mentioned them and they would be appropriate for the location I think.

I'm still deciding whether to go depending on finding a trader that has a 3.72mm splick valve with turbo override for a 7.5mm/foot 0-3-0 Menck diesel monorail from the Trumpton, Chigley & Camberwick Green Joint Railway....................

If no-one has one, then there will be one vehicle less to clog up the M6 on Saturday.

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

I've been trying to think of a name for my layout - I think I'll pinch that one!

Archived