Springs

In response to Simon G's request in wanted I thought about the firm linked below.

They have a huge catalogue of springs of many types. I've measured (roughly) a Lima spring I have as spares and it comes out about 3mm diameter and 10 mm length. perhaps someone else can give more accurate measurements? I suspect it would need the lowest possible rating so as not to put undue pressure on the brushes.

Personally I use on of their tension springs as a coupling within fixed rakes of coaches, keeping the corridor connections closed up on straight track. I suggested the same method to other club members and they successfully get their coaches round (I think) 2nd radius setrack curves, without needing the extended bellows.

http://www.entexstocksprings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=35&unit=mm

Thanks to great central for this post.

I have just measured a spring taken out of a Lima Pancake motor.  It was approx. 6-7mm in length, 2.9mm outside diameter and 0.1mm wire diameter.  The smallest wire diameter in the link above is 0.15mm, which would probably do OK, but only comes in a 1.57mm outside diameter, so I don't think that there is anything suitable.

I was advised elsewhere on RMWeb that Eileens Emporium do rolls of coiled spring wire, and on checking, they stock wire at 0.112mm in phosphor bronze, so I think I will buy a roll of that and make my own springs up.

Archived