Have I got some mojo back? A new tiny O gauge project!

marc smith

Thanks guys. I should have really taken a pic from the underside of the building
It's a lash up, using several off cuts and left over pieces....

Anyhow, basically, it's a box made from lightweight photo mounting board
PVA glued together, with a few triangular offcuts, to brace the corners. Plus one or two other pieces, to brace the walls.
I find it's best to brace photo mounting card structures (or other card built structures come to that)
I've heard Gordon & Maggie Gravett (and other scratchbuilders) talk about laminating structures with 3 layers

This is because as it dries, any glue can cause shinkage - so you get warping! Hence a sandwich effect of 3 layers gives you more rigidity & stability....
My 3rd layer is the outer render. This is simply white A4 card - I think it was 160 GSM card.
I had planned roughly where my render was going to have fallen off, and pre-glued offcuts of Slaters brick plasticard here

After forming the card to fit around the building, I cut the holes where the render had fallen off
This was then glued into place, and held in place with clothes pegs until dry.
The rough render effect was simply that textured ceiling paint you can get from B&Q (other DIY shops are available)
But I deliberately brushed much of the particles out, for a finer finish - some of the larger particles being overscale

It's easier to do this than you might think - just get an old piece of rag, and be prepared to take off more paint than you'd anticipate
It doesn't matter if the ceiling paint is thin & uneven at this stage.
I let it dry thoroughly (it dried quite quickly anyway) and painted the whole thing in light grey acrylic - taking care not to get grey acrylic on my exposed brickwork!
Then I weathered the render with slightly darker grey acrylic, along with some brown & green acrylic paints too

Much of my weathering was brushed on in a downwards motion, to emulate that overall grime and moss, being washed downwards with rain....
Mostly this was achieved by application & removal with said old rag, and my fingers......
Again, I took off more than you'd think, and gradually built up the effect until I was happy

It's simple enough to do, I'd recommend it folks. Start with a small hut type building. It's why I save all the odds & ends and offcuts
And not to annoy Mrs Smith, as she might protest ;)

EDIT: Forgot to add- my pre-positioned pieces of Slaters brick were also pre-painted before fitting in place. Painting afterwards would have been tricky

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 1

Thanks for all your kind words folks - much appreciated :)

And E Pinniger - yes please, post some photos, plus welcome to joining in on rmweb. It's the best model railway forum on the planet :)

It's surprising how many odds & ends I've accrued over the years, and my last O gauge min-space layout "Poynton Sneer" was an attempt at modelling on the cheap, and using bits & pieces, and odds & ends I'd either picked up cheaply, or just had lying around the place unused.

In similar fashion here, on the plan you may have noted (if you can understand my scrawl!) the building on the left of the layout

"Oliver & Evans Co." - this was a very early attempt at scratchbuilding in O gauge, using card. It was pretty much all re-cycled card too

I wanted a concrete rendered building, which had seen better days, and liked the idea of bits of rendering coming off, revealing underlying brickwork

Anyhow, here it is, and I also wanted to do something like this, where the track emerges from behind a building, rather than the usual bridge or tunnel....

Good to se you back on here Marc, I have missed your modelling. Love the building.

Rob

Here's another couple of buildings I had made sometime back
The first is a simple hut - I think this will be the yard office
Again made from photo mounting board, covered in Howard scenics brick paper - As I assembled this,
I lightly scribed a few mortar courses, to add a little relief.

The 2nd building is a Skytrex GWR corrugated hut. These require a bit of filing and fettling, to get the corners to meet squarely
but they're nice little kits. I really like the bolt head details and the relief. It makes them nice to paint and weather, drybrushing really works well
picking out the panels and bolts. I sometimes think I overdo this stage a bit, as I get carried away!

EDIT: I'm not quite sure why it is - but I really like grotty little huts on a layout. It doesn't look quite right without any

post-2973-0-40318000-1449835268_thumb.jpg

post-2973-0-47291200-1449835277_thumb.jpg

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 7

I've never posted on RMWeb before but I may post some photos of my layout at some point - it's a minimum-space "tailchaser" with a pre-war light railway setting, the baseboard is in 2 sections so it can be stored in a space about 3x6ft when not being run.  I used Lima curves for the main circuit, two of the three points are scratchbuilt ones acquired second-hand but the third (in the station goods yard) is a Lima one, like you I cut it down at both ends and removed the bulky switch mechanism (it's now operated by a GEM manual point lever)

That would be interesting to see, it sounds very intriguing... I encourage you to start a thread!

David

Hi Marc,

I have loved following the progress of your previous layouts, particularly the O Gauge ones - Poynton Sneer remains one of my all-time favourites. Your type of smaller, more manageable projects are very inspirational to me and so many others, showing something which is achievable to those with limited time and space, whilst the standard of your modelling is something we can aspire to and aim to reach. So, after a bit of waffle(!!), I cannot wait to see how this one develops. 

The radius of those Lima points is amazingly tight, I have never seen one in the flesh but it is just incredible on screen! However it will be an amazing space saver in this situation. 

Apologies if I have missed it, but how are you intending/thinking of approaching the fiddle yard? I presume with the aim to be extremely portable then you will want something as lightweight/space-saving as possible. I have seen the 'fiddle-stick' approach used well in the past and it really is just a simple length of track which could fold down or pack away for storage.

Anyway, pleased to see you return with another project and I really look forward to the updates when you get time.

Cheers,

David 

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see my 'avatar' on your building! Quite interested in the small radius points issue, as I tend to do restricted size stuff, but just up from micro. I have to admit I've never come across the Lima point, showing what a sheltered childhood I've had. It's hard to believe their 4F 0-6-0 would go through it? Anyhow, I enclose two efforts of mine. The first you can blame on the folks from Agenoria, sadly withdrawing because tightwads like me would rather waste their time scratchbuilding than buying a decent kit with a much better finish.. Anyway, at the base of their stand at shows they used to have a small circuit with an 0-4-0 chasing round, I'd estimate at about 10" radius. So, I tried a pizza layout on a 36" square board, 13" radius. (In O) First photo is a point off this line. Operation proved it could be done, the snag was doing propelling movements through the points, which was a no no, and certainly no use in your shunting layout. This line is currently on hold, although I've worked out what I can do with it (no, not that!) On to second photo from the next tryout, which is a small BLT with larger points, I guess about 18" radius. I can do shunting by hand through this one, and at present pushing on with wiring up to properly try it out. Maybe in a few weeks I'll be in a position to start a topic on this one. The unknown is if a new Dapol Terrier would go through it, I suspect not, and it's a lot to pay to find out, although a tempting loco.

post-26540-0-07271200-1449960004_thumb.jpeg

post-26540-0-71013600-1449960046_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

That would be interesting to see, it sounds very intriguing... I encourage you to start a thread!

David

I'll definitely start a build thread at some point, but probably not until some time next month/after Christmas; I'm already several months of work behind on updating my O16.5 layout thread over at ngrm-online.com! I'm not very good at keeping threads updated as it can be hard to find modelling time in the first place without the extra time involved in photographing + writing up the build for posting online. However I'll definitely make a post showing my layout's construction method and concept, as it might inspire/be useful to other O gauge modellers who don't have much space for a layout but want more than a shunting plank.

The layout is set somewhere in East Anglia (justifying a completely flat baseboard) and loosely based on the Kelvedon & Tollesbury Light Railway - the station is based on Tiptree (or will be when it's built). All of the buildings and taller scenic details (trees, telegraph poles etc.) are removable for separate storage. Anyway I don't want to hijack Marc Smith's thread any further so will post more in a separate thread at some point.

Atlas did some points of a very similar geometry. I have a few stashed away somewhere. Only difference is that they are Code 148. Would be good for an industrial gasworks tramway. Now you've got me thinking!

I've never seen the Atlas points - if they're as well engineered as their 0-6-0 diesel (of which I have 2!) they might be a better alternative to the Lima ones which aren't particularly great as regards build quality (mine required a lot of "fettling" to the point blades, and removal of flash on the sleeper mouldings, to get anything to run through it reliably)

• Like 2

Hi there folks, thanks for your kind words and encouragement.
My fiddle yards will be cassettes at both ends. I suspect that the one on the right (as you look at the plan) may only be a short 2 wagon affair
with the one on the left being long enough to accommodate a loco and 2 wagons. I deliberately designed it this way, so that I could work on the layout board,
whilst sat in the lounge -  in an attempt to make it appear that I'm spending at least some time with Mrs S ;)

Again, portability and ease of storage are also important here, as I've already got lots of small layouts on shelves in my modelling room
Not to mention way too many musical instruments and various amplifiers & speakers (oh how does she put up with me?)
Another beauty of cassette based fiddle yards, is that it's easy to build a few, perhaps smaller ones for home use, and larger versions for shows.

Bit of a progress report; My Ixion 0-4-0 diesel arrived, and it's lovely :)
It runs really well, straight out of the box - as did my Ixion Hudswell Clarke.
Re the Lima point, the 0-4-0 ran through it fine, as did my 08 shunter, and my tiny 0-4-0 Simplex. In fact, I was concerned that I may need to install stay-alive decoders into the 4 wheeled locos, due to the plastic crossing v in the Lima point. However, I needn't have worried, as they all ran fine through it :)
Unfortunately, the Hudswell Clarke derailed every time I went through the curved branch of the point though :(

It was fine going both directions through the straight road, and fine going through the curved road from branch to the toe of the point - it derailed in the other direction.
This may just be that I need to widen the gap in my check rail, or fettle the vee some more. 
It's the other point I need for this layout - so I'll look at the problematic one later....
I cut the other point down, and cut the cumbersome looking switch mechanism and check rails out - replacing those with offcuts of rail
This time, I decided to leave the check rails around the vee alone for now....
I shall repeat my tests with this newly adapted point later, but I'm really pleased with that Ixion 0-4-0 

Cheers again :)

PS. I've left some of the base of the switching mechanism there - it's going to be buried in muck & grime anyway

post-2973-0-63637800-1450084869_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

The Atlas points are fairly hefty and well built, but I have found that they could do with a few mods to improve running. I've put some styrene strip to reduce the width of the flangeways in the frog and put some strip at the bottom of the frogs so that the wheels don't drop as far, but the flange runs on the strip to stop them dropping. I also modified to the throwbar to reduce the throw to a slightly more prototypical length. All very easy to do with some styrene and super-glue. Touch of black paint and you would never know that I've done these mods.

They are an extremely similar geometry to the Lima points. Not easy to find though. I've only seen them on ebay a few times over the past 10 years.

The Atlas points are fairly hefty and well built, but I have found that they could do with a few mods to improve running. I've put some styrene strip to reduce the width of the flangeways in the frog and put some strip at the bottom of the frogs so that the wheels don't drop as far, but the flange runs on the strip to stop them dropping. I also modified to the throwbar to reduce the throw to a slightly more prototypical length. All very easy to do with some styrene and super-glue. Touch of black paint and you would never know that I've done these mods.

They are an extremely similar geometry to the Lima points. Not easy to find though. I've only seen them on ebay a few times over the past 10 years.

Thanks for that hartleymartin. I've seen Atlas points for sale - but not for some time now

To reduce the wheel drop you sometimes get, I've pushed some DAS into that gap. Once hardened, this can be disguised by painting too

It's amazing what you can hide, with a bit of paint, ballast or "grime"

I'll keep my eye out for Atlas points, for future reference.

I think the "problematic" Lima point should be easy enough to fix - I may have just been a bit over zealous when glueing my checkrails in place

Or perhaps it just needs a bit more filing....

Can't wait to get started building the layout now

Cheers Brian - I will try & keep the mojo going - it's just time I lack atm

I need to retire now (on full salary! - anyone offering? lol)

PS. At some future point in time, I will finish that last OO project I started ages back too..... promise

Hello Marc,

Just followed the link you posted in your Pont Merthyr etc thread to find another mini masterpiece in the making! Looking forward to progress...

Keith

Thanks for that Keith :)

My modelling time has been virtually non-existant lately - but I'd really like to finish this one (and the OO Pont Merthyr Abercwm......)

In fact, another reason for designing this small O gauge plan, was to think about designing some additional modules - to enable me to extend it in future

If each was a relatively "quick" build, which I could do, whilst apparently also enjoying something Mrs S was watching on TV (some cookery programme or suchlike) then it's a possibility for future layouts. I don't think I'm ever going to get that large "dream layout" ;)

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 2

Hi there folks, thanks for your kind words and encouragement.

My fiddle yards will be cassettes at both ends. I suspect that the one on the right (as you look at the plan) may only be a short 2 wagon affair

with the one on the left being long enough to accommodate a loco and 2 wagons. I deliberately designed it this way, so that I could work on the layout board,

whilst sat in the lounge -  in an attempt to make it appear that I'm spending at least some time with Mrs S ;)

Again, portability and ease of storage are also important here, as I've already got lots of small layouts on shelves in my modelling room

Not to mention way too many musical instruments and various amplifiers & speakers (oh how does she put up with me?)

Another beauty of cassette based fiddle yards, is that it's easy to build a few, perhaps smaller ones for home use, and larger versions for shows.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Marc - I do appreciate it. Interesting thoughts, particularly with regard to using different versions of the cassettes at home and at an exhibition. That isn't something I have ever thought of in the past but is a great idea, particularly when space is at a premium at home but a solution which doesn't compromise flexibility at a show. The 'two wagon' cassette sounds like an excellent idea to increase operation potential. Anyway, I am really looking forward to seeing things progress  :)

Thanks again,

David

Glad to see this one coming together, Marc - it looks like quite a radical bit of O gauge minimalism even for you!

Ah, I've even been thinking of more minimalist schemes than this one Mr Ten!

perhaps my condition is worsening with age? ;)

And yes hartleymartin - I'm eagerly awaiting Peco's O gauge set track points

I just don't know why they haven't done it before?

I recall at a show a few years back, I approached the guy on the Peco stall and asked why they didn't do a shorter radius O point

His reply was "You're the 3rd person to ask me that today"

..... "but there simply isn't the demand" lol

Edited by marc smith

I have decided that although this little project is a coal yard, or disposal point
another industry may well occupy the scene - a disguised advertisement for this company

..... well, it had to be...... ;)

PS. Guesses as to the location of the ad - answers on a virtual postcard :)

post-2973-0-28234000-1450177233.jpg

• Like 6

Ah, I've even been thinking of more minimalist schemes than this one Mr Ten!

perhaps my condition is worsening with age? ;)

And yes hartleymartin - I'm eagerly awaiting Peco's O gauge set track points

I just don't know why they haven't done it before?

I recall at a show a few years back, I approached the guy on the Peco stall and asked why they didn't do a shorter radius O point

His reply was "You're the 3rd person to ask me that today"

..... "but there simply isn't the demand" lol

I believe that short radius Set Track points is one of those products where supply will create demand. I would certainly buy some if only for testing locos before sending them to customers. i already have a circle of Set Track for this purpose and a 40" reverse curve is a rather good test bed. No asked for the Ixion 0 Gauge RTR Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST, but that hasn't stopped well over 1,700 people buying them. locomotive. Sometimes one needs to take a risk and this is. I think, a failrly safe bet.