Have I got some mojo back? A new tiny O gauge project!

marc smith

Update. I've now finished tracklaying (well, apart from the fiddle cassettes)
Started putting some above-ground contours in place. Again, these are just offcuts and leftover scraps of foam board
So far, just roughly cut to shape. It's so easy and quick to work this material. I well recall the days of using chicken wire as a base for contours,
and adding strips of newspaper soaked in plaster. I still have some scars from the sharp edges of the wire!
Also, that method took forever to dry, and ended up adding substantial weight to the baseboards

Even if I were still using wood to build my baseboards - I'd definitely use foam board for landscape contours....
As I'd said earlier, I'm going to add some more low level foreground, when I glue the battens in place. I also added a rough undercoat of ground colour too. Don't panic - that greeny grey isn't a final colour, it's some old, leftover paint I had to hand. It's just to start toning down the bright pale pink foam board

post-2973-0-37648900-1456134037_thumb.jpg

post-2973-0-77597400-1456134048_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Here's another couple of buildings I had made sometime back

The first is a simple hut - I think this will be the yard office

Again made from photo mounting board, covered in Howard scenics brick paper - As I assembled this,

I lightly scribed a few mortar courses, to add a little relief.

The 2nd building is a Skytrex GWR corrugated hut. These require a bit of filing and fettling, to get the corners to meet squarely

but they're nice little kits. I really like the bolt head details and the relief. It makes them nice to paint and weather, drybrushing really works well

picking out the panels and bolts. I sometimes think I overdo this stage a bit, as I get carried away!

EDIT: I'm not quite sure why it is - but I really like grotty little huts on a layout. It doesn't look quite right without any

Marc,

I have just been looking at your older posts and found these photos. How did you make the ivy on the huts?

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris. It was a scenic material - but I can't recall the manufacturer
When you look closely at the material, the leaves are very lifelike shapes.
The only thing is, the stringy material the leaves are on. This take some pulling apart and trimming, or it looks too dense and stringy

Apologies for not recalling the manufacturer
I've made ivy on other layouts, simply using PVA and green scatter material (Woodland scenics) typically seen in 4mm
Straightforward enough - but if you build up further layers, it becomes more realistic and more highly textured

Hi Chris. It was a scenic material - but I can't recall the manufacturer

When you look closely at the material, the leaves are very lifelike shapes.

The only thing is, the stringy material the leaves are on. This take some pulling apart and trimming, or it looks too dense and stringy

Apologies for not recalling the manufacturer

I've made ivy on other layouts, simply using PVA and green scatter material (Woodland scenics) typically seen in 4mm

Straightforward enough - but if you build up further layers, it becomes more realistic and more highly textured

I know, Pick me, pick me!

It is Ivy from the Anita Decor range, sold by international models. Currently they are not trading.

Treemendous make a really good Ivy scatter. I have yet to use mine, but it looks pretty realistic.

Dougal.

• Like 1

It is Ivy from the Anita Decor range, sold by international models. Currently they are not trading.

Treemendous make a really good Ivy scatter. I have yet to use mine, but it looks pretty realistic.

Dougal.

Thanks for that Dougal!

You jogged my memory, and you are quite correct. I don't know why I discarded the label / packet... lol

Dougal.

Thanks Dougal. International Models are no longer trading according to their website so I'm trying to identify an alternative source.

Chris

Thanks Dougal. International Models are no longer trading according to their website so I'm trying to identify an alternative source.

Chris

That's a great shame! They used to supply some great scenic items....

If anyone else finds a supplier of that ivy, please let me know. Mind you, I've still got plenty left.... for now

• RMweb Gold

That's a great shame! They used to supply some great scenic items....

If anyone else finds a supplier of that ivy, please let me know. Mind you, I've still got plenty left.... for now

There was a thread on here a while ago about how the business changed hands and the new owners didn't run it very well. I agree a great shame.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Has any more happened on this? Marc seems to have vanished? Really enjoy reading your posts.

Marc's currently playing a lot of live music (he's too modest to say it himself, but he's a briliant bass player), but his mates are all in touch with him and hoping to lure him back to the dark side of railways before too long. He won't be able to resist for long.

• 3 months later...

Ah, I've been away too long - no time for modelling at all these days, sadly. I think Barry Ten's estimations of my musical skills are somewhat over-stated, but thanks all the same Barry :) Not touched this little project for ages, but I've been doing a bit of painting & weathering on a couple of wagons. Damitt though, I find several of my paints have dried up! :(

The Dapol O gauge 08 has tempted me to at least think about model trains again lol

• Like 6

Good to see you back here again Marc, and no, you can't keep a good Bassist down, well not for long anyway.

Really looking forward to some more of your little GEMS, I pinched the Oily puddles idea for my West Shed and it worked so well I'll be using them again on Beale St, but more ideas like that are always welcome please.

All the best,

Ah, nice to know I've been missed. I'm sure Mrs Smith won't like me starting up on railway stuff and layouts again!
I hardly see her now! lol

I will get around to doing more on this project though - perhaps over Xmas? as I've some time off :)

PS. I built an O gauge wagon (took me weeks mind!) and have weathered / painted a few things... small steps :) lol

• Like 3

Picked up my Dapol O gauge 08 yesterday, and am mightily impressed :)
I never really thought about using an 08 when I started to put this little project together
I need to re-number the 08, install a decoder and add a driver, and do some weathering

It may actually be, that even a diminutive little 08 shunter is a tad too big for this tiny project?
.... but it reminds me, I need to add a number, driver and do some painting & weathering with the Ixion 0-4-0 shunter which has hardly left its' box since purchase :O

Still, at least I'm thinking more about trains again

must visit Halfords this weekend, and pick up some aerosol primer, to start weathering the track on this little scene

• Like 7

Yes, and I want sound too! That might be a while before I get the decoder - what with it being that time of year :)

I can highly recommend Paul Chetters ones, (Pauliebanger) for a large range of functions and changeable sounds, like Metal or wood Cab Doors for example, the Spirax Valve, and Hand Priming the Fuel etc.

• 3 weeks later...

A little bit of progress on this small project. I did some more landscape contouring, and ground cover. I've given the hard surfaces a base coat of grey as a sort of "primer", and the earth areas are covered in dark soil scatter - as bought from "Treemendous" (I think - it was a while back!).

Before this, I sprayed the rails in Red Oxide primer, and "Frame Dirt" colour on top of that. I've taken a few snaps and will post later. Been doing a little painting / weathering at least. Now I need some transfers for my Dapol 08, and desperately need some 7mm Sprat & Winkle couplings to finish off a couple of O gauge wagons....

So I'll be going to the Bristol O gauge show, in the hope of picking up these items, and bumping in to fellow RMweb members too :)
Please say Hi if you see me there

• Like 7

Here are the pics, as promised.
1. Red Oxide primer applied to the rails
2. A few wafts of "Frame Dirt" colour applied once the primer had dried
... and a bit of landscape contouring and painting / scatter material (dark earth colour by Treemendous, if my memory serves me)
and some dark-ish grey emulsion match pot paint, as a base colour for the concrete / road surfaces.....

post-2973-0-54696000-1483543164_thumb.jpg

post-2973-0-76218300-1483543172_thumb.jpg

• Like 11